A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 11:49:51 am
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trader Joe's  (Read 90151 times)
rdj
City Father

« Reply #135 on: March 09, 2015, 07:41:33 am »

I don't see liquor laws changing much.  It is a constitutional change that requires a supermajority vote of the people.  If the liquor wholesaler and store lobbies can't kill it at the capitol I bet the religulous folks will kill at the ballot box.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #136 on: March 12, 2015, 10:45:22 pm »

There is a TJ's in Leawood, KS with no liquor sales and it is full of shoppers evert time I have been there.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #137 on: March 25, 2015, 08:59:08 am »

It's pretty clear to me that the reason they refused to "confirm" the deal was to avoid the backlash of tearing down a really cool strip of old storefronts.  Someone did their research and saw the Turkey Mountain backlash and the general backlash that occurs when corporations propose demolishing old structures (see bus depot in OKC) and wanted to avoid it to the extent possible.  I find it interesting that less than a month has passed from announcement to demolition.  There are plenty of other spots that they could have built on and avoided tearing down this unique strip.  The vacant spot on Cherry Street where the carwash recently was demolished comes to mind.  It's closer to downtown for increasing residents there, and would have little competition from Whole Foods.  I like Trader Joes and am glad that they are moving to town and not to the suburbs, but its just a shame they have to tear down that neat little strip of storefronts.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #138 on: March 25, 2015, 11:26:23 am »

I hope they build to adhere to the Brookside plan, but I'm afraid they won't.

There is already a building going into the car wash space.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #139 on: March 25, 2015, 11:29:35 am »

It's pretty clear to me that the reason they refused to "confirm" the deal was to avoid the backlash of tearing down a really cool strip of old storefronts.  Someone did their research and saw the Turkey Mountain backlash and the general backlash that occurs when corporations propose demolishing old structures (see bus depot in OKC) and wanted to avoid it to the extent possible.  I find it interesting that less than a month has passed from announcement to demolition.  There are plenty of other spots that they could have built on and avoided tearing down this unique strip.  The vacant spot on Cherry Street where the carwash recently was demolished comes to mind.  It's closer to downtown for increasing residents there, and would have little competition from Whole Foods.  I like Trader Joes and am glad that they are moving to town and not to the suburbs, but its just a shame they have to tear down that neat little strip of storefronts.

That strip was somewhere between 60 and 70 years old.  It may have had structural and mechanical issues which made a complete re-do more attractive.

And then again, sometimes the owner is simply ready to cash in and does not care what the buyer does with their new purchase.  I think Joe’s will have something which will compliment the area nicely.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #140 on: March 25, 2015, 11:35:36 am »

That strip was somewhere between 60 and 70 years old.  It may have had structural and mechanical issues which made a complete re-do more attractive.

And then again, sometimes the owner is simply ready to cash in and does not care what the buyer does with their new purchase.  I think Joe’s will have something which will compliment the area nicely.

This would be painful

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #141 on: March 25, 2015, 11:40:03 am »

This would be painful

Gads! That looks like an old Handy Dan, re-branded.

Other renderings have been posted here which were brought up to the street front with parking in back.  I suspect it will be more Brookside-friendly than, ahem, Quik-Trip’s remodel.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #142 on: March 25, 2015, 11:43:49 am »

Gads! That looks like an old Handy Dan, re-branded.

Not sure why they titled this design the "tulsa special".
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #143 on: March 25, 2015, 11:50:29 am »

I hope they build to adhere to the Brookside plan, but I'm afraid they won't.

There is already a building going into the car wash space.

That a Compadres?
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #144 on: March 25, 2015, 11:51:58 am »

Those really cool store fronts....Were outdated pos fire traps at best......

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #145 on: March 25, 2015, 11:55:09 am »

That a Compadres?

part of this Building on Cherry Street in the former car wash space will have the R-BAR folks' new concept.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #146 on: March 25, 2015, 12:38:15 pm »

Those really cool store fronts....Were outdated pos fire traps at best......

So were most of the warehouses in the Brady and East Village that are being renovated.  That strip could have been renovated to address whatever issues were present.  I know cost is an issue and its not my money, I just wish there had been a way to save those storefronts.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #147 on: March 30, 2015, 05:43:42 pm »

I hope:

1) Trader Joes conforms to the feel of the neighborhood
2) someone sees the demand from the stores that are moving out and expands Brookside, conforming the the frontage code.

I'd hate to see Brookside be a victim of its success. Because it is a vibrant, eclectic, walkable district in a sea of cookie cutter commuter retail - it attracts national retailers. Who then turn it into cookie cutter commuter retail.

Could be great. I'm hoping so. But I have zero confidence that any planning commission or zoning commission in this city will dictate the ideals of the small area plan. (que "private property warbigable" argument)

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #148 on: March 30, 2015, 08:19:21 pm »

part of this Building on Cherry Street in the former car wash space will have the R-BAR folks' new concept.

Nope...They not goin in there....

rdj
City Father

« Reply #149 on: March 31, 2015, 08:35:15 am »

Nope...They not goin in there....

Is that a new development?  One of the investors in the building told me that about 45 days ago.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org