A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 07:39:11 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 66ers to Bixby?  (Read 6987 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 01:20:24 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

Well then that leads us to the chicken or the egg argument. Can we significantly improve the downtown demographics without new offices and retail?  Will retail move in without improved demographics?

But you're of course right Artist.  But I don't have to like it!

One thing, we dont need any more office space downtown. They arent getting those developments in Jenks or Bixby because they have a lot of office space. That is one of the things that destroyed downtown. A downtown should not be an "office park done tall".

Also one of the best things we can do do help with retail, and a lively downtown is to see more living, not just in downtown but in areas like the Pearl District and just north of downtown.

Entertainment and offices should only be considered a part of what makes a downtown thrive. The other half is people living in and around downtown. The "Urban Village" concept. There should be proportionality. 30,000 people working downtown and 3,000 living there is not balance or proportionality. 30,000 people working there and 30,000 people living there THEN you have got something.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
EricP
Civic Leader

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 01:47:11 pm »

I think a lot of people would like some affordable urban downtown living. There are TONS of buildings that could be converted for apartments, are there not??? If we have say 50% of our buildings occupied by businesses, the other 50% empty.. if that were New York City would it be 50% business 50% residential?

If I were a bachelor I might consider living in a cool downtown apartment, I miss living in the indestructible concrete dorms at OSU Smiley

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 02:06:44 pm »

Artist,

No, we don't need more commercial downtown, but it sure wouldn't hurt.  The more people that work the more likely they are to shop there.  The more likely they are to go to a restaurant or even stay after 5pm to go out.  While they are downtown they may as well catch a show.  Maybe they might even want to live there (how many people live downtown and work in Bixby?).

Plus, new development of any kind will help snowball other builders.  Since this development has office, retail and living amenities (gyms, spa, etc.) it would surely encourage a condo nearby or at least service any that might want to move in.  It would raise the tax base, increase aesthetic appeal while offsetting abandoned structures, and actually bring people to a part of downtown.

Clearly offices alone do not make a downtown seem vibrant, but certainly they wouldn't hurt.    I'd rather see it downtown than in Bixby, that's for sure!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 03:46:11 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheTed

quote:
Originally posted by Breadburner

quote:
Originally posted by TheTed

quote:
Originally posted by CoffeeBean

Too bad the 66ers don't draw well enough to consider the BOK arena.

Neither do the Oilers but they'll be playing at the BOK Center.

They draw a hell of alot more than the 66er's.

2,000 people vs. 4,000 people. Both are nowhere near filling up even the lower level at the BOK Center.

I have been to several 66ers games and have never seen 2000 people there.  Maybe 700 or so, but no where near 2000.  I think the ticket prices have alot to do with it.  IMO they are on the expensive side, not something the avg family could afford.

"You cant solve Stupid." 
"I don't do sorry, sorry is for criminals and screw ups."
dayzella
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 03:41:54 pm »

Bumping with the Tulsa World piece from today:

quote:
Tulsa 66ers pro basketball team moving to Bixby

By Glenn Hibdon, World Sports Writer
2/12/2008  10:51 AM
Last Modified: 2/12/2008  12:52 PM

BIXBY -- The Tulsa 66ers professional basketball team will move to Bixby beginning in the 2008-09 season.

A press conference was held today to formally make the announcement.

The 66ers are an NBA Developmental League team that has been in Tulsa for three years. The team has played at Expo Square Pavilion all three seasons and will complete this season at that site.

The team's new home will be the SpiritBank Event Center, located near 105th Street and Memorial Drive. The facility seats approximately 4,000-4,500 for basketball games.

"We're moving into a brand new building coming online, and they approached us about being their only tenant," said David Kahn, the 66ers' majority owner. "It's a deal we couldn't refuse. ... The amenities are more fan friendly here. We've got suites, a huge center scoreboard with video, banquet rooms and a lot more intimacy in the seating bowl." Kahn said the deal "will solidify our future and mean the 66ers will be here for a long, long time." Kahn didn't specify details of the lease agreement.

Kahn said the team will keep its Tulsa 66ers name and logo.

The D-League is a minor league affiliated with the NBA. Teams in the D-League are affiliated with teams in the NBA. Players are
routinely assigned to D-League teams from NBA teams.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 11:44:50 pm »

I remember figuring this out; the lower bowl for the new arena will be around 9000 for the hockey configuration.

I'm an Oilers season ticket holder; our attendance has been abysmal, but Tulsa hockey fans want to see a winner.  We sure ain't doing much of that the last three years.

Since the Oilers will be the first full time tenant in the building, I bet the first few games will be pretty heavily sold.  After that, it depends on several factors.

How well Lund and his front office can market the team.

How well the team plays.  Bandwagon fans, dontcha know!

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2008, 09:19:27 am »

Welcome to Bixby! I will be attending games regularly.  Inteller, you going?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
inteller
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2008, 11:23:35 am »

quote:
Originally posted by guido911

Welcome to Bixby! I will be attending games regularly.  Inteller, you going?

I'm not a basketball fan, but I might go to some just for the novelty of it since I can walk there from my house.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org