A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:29:24 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zanmai Japanese Restaurant  (Read 19595 times)
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« on: January 27, 2014, 03:32:49 pm »

Here's another new one that I haven't seen anyone review on TN.

Zanmai Japanese - Hibachi, Steakhouse, Sushi, etc.
1402 S. Peoria Suite 200

This is a gorgeous, upscale restaurant on Peoria, just north of 15th. 

If you see it from the outside, you'll notice a sleek, modern restaurant incongruously located between the Whataburger, a large billboard, and the BA Expressway.  However, the moment you step inside, all these tawdry associations fade away.  The restaurant is located on the second floor, has huge glass windows, and a beautiful view of downtown.  Especially at night, the city lights add a nice touch of elegance to your meal.  They have an outdoor patio, which will be neat when the weather is agreeable, but even inside, the views are special.  Very unique setting for Tulsa.  I'm not sure I can name another restaurant that can compare based just on the atmosphere and views of the skyline.

Like several other new additions to the midtown/downtown eating scene, it's a bit on the pricey side. (I'm a bit on the cheap side.)  I've heard the sushi is excellent, and that's what I'll go back for next time.  I tried the steak, b/c I've never had a "Japanese" steak (not counting Kobe beef, which is a different thing altogether).  For my tastes, it had nice flavor, but there are better steaks in town.  Other people, though, have raved about the steak, so maybe I just didn't order the right one.

Cocktails were pricey for the Tulsa market, and a bit too "show-offy" for my tastes.  One of the drinks I tried was $15 and tasted like carburetor cleaner (or what I imagine carburetor cleaner to taste like.)  I'll stick to wine or standard cocktails next time. Everyone who did was happy with their choice.  Friends who have had the sushi says it's great and I'm eager to try it.  It would also probably be fun to do a hibachi dinner.

If you're looking for a great romantic dinner, or a night out to celebrate a special occasion, this is a place you should consider.

</my two cents>
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 04:03:05 pm »

Here's another new one that I haven't seen anyone review on TN.

Zanmai Japanese - Hibachi, Steakhouse, Sushi, etc.
1402 S. Peoria Suite 200

This is a gorgeous, upscale restaurant on Peoria, just north of 15th. 

If you see it from the outside, you'll notice a sleek, modern restaurant incongruously located between the Whataburger, a large billboard, and the BA Expressway.  However, the moment you step inside, all these tawdry associations fade away.  The restaurant is located on the second floor, has huge glass windows, and a beautiful view of downtown.  Especially at night, the city lights add a nice touch of elegance to your meal.  They have an outdoor patio, which will be neat when the weather is agreeable, but even inside, the views are special.  Very unique setting for Tulsa.  I'm not sure I can name another restaurant that can compare based just on the atmosphere and views of the skyline.

Like several other new additions to the midtown/downtown eating scene, it's a bit on the pricey side. (I'm a bit on the cheap side.)  I've heard the sushi is excellent, and that's what I'll go back for next time.  I tried the steak, b/c I've never had a "Japanese" steak (not counting Kobe beef, which is a different thing altogether).  For my tastes, it had nice flavor, but there are better steaks in town.  Other people, though, have raved about the steak, so maybe I just didn't order the right one.

Cocktails were pricey for the Tulsa market, and a bit too "show-offy" for my tastes.  One of the drinks I tried was $15 and tasted like carburetor cleaner (or what I imagine carburetor cleaner to taste like.)  I'll stick to wine or standard cocktails next time. Everyone who did was happy with their choice.  Friends who have had the sushi says it's great and I'm eager to try it.  It would also probably be fun to do a hibachi dinner.

If you're looking for a great romantic dinner, or a night out to celebrate a special occasion, this is a place you should consider.

</my two cents>

This the place directly across from Phat Philly's that I've been seeing under construction lately?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 04:21:30 pm »

We've eaten there.  Food is excellent, especially the steak.  Awesome views of downtown.  Good spot for a drink after work too.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 11:25:50 am »

I’ve read some iffy reviews on-line, mainly really poor service.  Thinking about going there for our anniversary tonight but don’t want to have a bad experience.  I figured at least a Tuesday wouldn’t be real crowded.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dioscorides
Civic Leader

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 11:49:57 am »

I’ve read some iffy reviews on-line, mainly really poor service.  Thinking about going there for our anniversary tonight but don’t want to have a bad experience.  I figured at least a Tuesday wouldn’t be real crowded.

First of all, "Happy Anniversary!"  We have been three times.  The first time was right after they opened.  The service was not good.  We went expecting that, though, since they had just opened.  They knew things were not going well.  They apologized for it and gave us free soup and dessert without us saying anything.  The second time was on Valentines Day.  We went at 9:30p for just a dessert and a drink with another couple.  Everything was fine that time.  We could tell our waiter was completely worn out, though.  Our third visit was this last Saturday.  Once again, it was a party of four.  We had a reservation for 5:45p and we were out of there by 7:00p.  Granted, we were there during a non-busy time, but everything went OK.  It appears, from our experience, that they have improved the service issues.

There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says 'Good people drink good beer.' Which is true, then as now. Just look around you in any public barroom and you will quickly see: bad people drink bad beer. Think about it. - Hunter S. Thompson
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 12:25:37 pm »

First of all, "Happy Anniversary!"  We have been three times.  The first time was right after they opened.  The service was not good.  We went expecting that, though, since they had just opened.  They knew things were not going well.  They apologized for it and gave us free soup and dessert without us saying anything.  The second time was on Valentines Day.  We went at 9:30p for just a dessert and a drink with another couple.  Everything was fine that time.  We could tell our waiter was completely worn out, though.  Our third visit was this last Saturday.  Once again, it was a party of four.  We had a reservation for 5:45p and we were out of there by 7:00p.  Granted, we were there during a non-busy time, but everything went OK.  It appears, from our experience, that they have improved the service issues.

Thank you, and thank you! 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 12:26:03 pm »

Congrats Conan. I have been wanting to go to this restaurant but just haven't done so yet. I await your review and I hope that it is a wonderful experience for you and Mrs C.  Grin

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
ARGUS
Civic Leader

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 07:28:00 pm »

Congratulations Conan71! Give us a report if you go. I have yet to go there.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 10:27:51 am »

It was truly a great experience.  They were very slow last night, they had a party in the private hibachi room and only one hibachi table going on the hibachi side.  We were seated at a two top at the window over-looking downtown on the steakhouse side and they maybe had four or five other tables while we were there.  The view is all it’s hyped up to be.  It was slow enough that the bartender was our server and he was very attentive and well-trained.  It looks as if some of the early training issues they had were addressed.  

The price points on the food are what I consider to be a very good value on the sushi menu.  We got the panko-encrusted crab cakes for our app ($9) served with several different sauces and a slaw in the middle.  

For dinner we selected the “crash boat”.  It’s a four roll sampler that included volcano roll, rockwell roll, spicy salmon roll, and heatstroke roll. ($26)

I encouraged Mrs. C to order whatever she wanted but that really looked like a great variety to her and I agreed.  It’s Tulsa sushi, so if your expectations are along the lines of sushi you will find on the coasts, you might find it as nothing special.  In terms of what is available locally, it’s very, very good.  My personal favorite is the volcano roll.  In spite of the roll names, none would cripple your taste buds with too much hot pepper or wasabi.

For dessert, we selected the banana split egg roll which isn’t really an egg roll but rather a tempura battered and fried split banana with ice cream and toppings.  The banana was drizzled in some sort of caramel glaze that was quite good.  It was freaking amazing overall.  I believe it was in the $7 range.

She had a sake sampler that was $14 or $16 and I had one of their signature martinis "The Smokestack" which was Bombay gin with Laughroaig and a smoky salt around the rim also in the $15 range.

With tip, drinks, etc. we walked out for under $110.  I will tip 20+% for exceptional service.  If you don’t drink, you can easily get out of there for $60-$70.  Skip the apps and dessert and it’s $40’ish if you get a combo like the crash boat.  Of course sky is the limit if you want to have their dry-aged steaks or sample all of their high-end rolls.

They also have a huge wine list that was put together by Randa Warren, a well-respected sommelier who also owns a liquor store in south Tulsa.

That’s the good part, there is something for everyone without having a menu that is too crowded.  We want to put a group together to go back for a hibachi dinner some night.  The only downer on the hibachi side is it over-looks What-A-Burger next door, not much of a view. We also want to go back when it warms up to enjoy the outdoor patio overlooking downtown.

I love the build-out, it is a nice space.  Though there are many hard surfaces so sound splash might really be an issue on busy weekend nights.  I’ll know not to go on a weekend as that is one of my pet peeves in interior design.

We will be back.  I felt the value exceeded the price.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 10:31:23 am by Conan71 » Logged

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 09:21:47 pm »

I love this place.  The food is great and the view is one of the best in town.  Now I just wish the Long John Silver could be redeveloped into a similar space, preferably with a microbrewery and rooftop patio.  Smiley

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 09:28:14 pm »

I love this place.  The food is great and the view is one of the best in town.  Now I just wish the Long John Silver could be redeveloped into a similar space, preferably with a microbrewery and rooftop patio.  Smiley

Maybe a place that served fish and chips
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 09:52:22 pm »

Maybe a place that served fish and chips

Speaking of fish & chips, when did McNellie's become so dreadful?  I had them Friday, dried out and flavorless.  LJS would have been a better alternative.

AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 07:14:11 am »

Speaking of fish & chips, when did McNellie's become so dreadful?  I had them Friday, dried out and flavorless.  LJS would have been a better alternative.
Baxter's has good F&C. Red Robin's F&C reminds me of Arthur Treacher's.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 07:47:16 am »

More focus on the batter than the fish.  They do however still have one of the best sirloins in town for a ridiculously low price!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 08:15:06 am »

It was truly a great experience....

We went there last Friday following Conan's advice.  (Very well done review.)  Across the board, I agree with him.  Certainly not inexpensive, but a good value for the price.  The venue itself, with the accompanying view, is impressive.  Across the board, from the Sake flight, to another bottle of sake, to the various entrees that included their larger bento box and their second-largest sashimi combo, to a special rib eye they had that night, everything was very good.  Waiter was great and very helpful on suggestions.  Will definitely return.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org