A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 06:07:49 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Election rematches  (Read 3560 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« on: September 09, 2009, 02:00:54 pm »

Adelson (D) v Bartlett (R)

Last time was just in midtown and Adelson won with 51.4% of the vote. This time it includes the heavily republican south Tulsa precincts...

Turner (D) v Patrick (I)

Last time was 1,074 for Patrick and 892 for Turner. The time before it was 1,467 for Turner and 1,358 for Patrick. These guys have campaigned against each other over and over with each side winning and losing then repeating...this will be the eighth match.

Barnes (D) v Gomez (R)

Last time was 1,484 for Gomez and 1,322 for Barnes. Being an incumbent may not be the best position for this district either...

Mautino(R) v Troyer (D)

Last time, Mautino had just survived a recall election the summer before and the continual daily beating applied by the local newspaper. Troyer won in a close race, then won a re-election against a weaker opponent.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 02:13:51 pm »

Sen. Tom Adelson seems to translate well with Republicans.

Depending on what more comes out of the ballpark issue and budget issues, riding on Mayor Taylor's coattails may not look as good as it did a few months back.  She might have struggled through the November race in spite of her high popularity right before she pulled out of the race given the recent suit by IDL property owners and what ever implications the cobbled-together ballpark deal may have.

I don't recall Adelson ever lending an endorsement of any sort to a re-election bid from Mayor Taylor, but Bartlett clearly did.  I don't see Adelson making hay of that as I would imagine he's going to be endorsed by Mayor Taylor.  IOW- neither candidate can get away from that link.

Bartlett has more name recognition, but, IMO, he's short on substantive accomplishments in the public eye.  He apparently relied on name-recognition alone in the primary considering the dearth of information on the actual issues on his web site.

Let's face it, both candidates will have special interests backing them.  Bartlett seems a little more comfortable in the public eye, Adelson a little shy.  I think Bartlett might be a better figurehead at local events as mayor, but I think Adelson will have better administrative skills and can be a consensus builder.  I'm also concerned as to whether or not Bartlett truly has time to be mayor, being a successful businessman and all.  Couldn't we just have "co-mayors" this time around?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 02:16:02 pm by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
FOTD
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 02:25:45 pm »

Amazing how few Tulsans vote. Apethetic Community....oh, misspelled it. s/b apathetic...fingerian slip.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 07:58:05 pm »

Amazing how few Tulsans vote. Apethetic Community....oh, misspelled it. s/b apathetic...fingerian slip.

Looks intentional to me.... no after post edit required to fix it.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 09:39:52 pm »

I am an independent and couldn't vote.  It may be just me, but anecdotally it seems more and more people are becoming independent.  I did because I was sick and tired of the automatic assumptions that people throw on you when you say what party your in.  And with things becoming truly more divided and extremely partisan, you say your one thing, then the conversation stops and the people in the other party insist you must be for every position that exists in your party. May be completely untrue, but its irrelevant, that's how your pegged and fingers go in their ears when you try to say anything to the contrary. I would rather discuss each different issue and topic, not say one thing then have everything else wrongly thrown on me by by assumption.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 09:58:50 pm »

I am an independent and couldn't vote.  It may be just me, but anecdotally it seems more and more people are becoming independent. 

I understand.  However, as more and more reasonable people leave both parties, both parties become more and more extreme. Unless enough people can create a new viable 3rd party, we will be left with nothing but left and right wingnut candidates.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 10:23:23 pm »

I understand.  However, as more and more reasonable people leave both parties, both parties become more and more extreme. Unless enough people can create a new viable 3rd party, we will be left with nothing but left and right wingnut candidates.

We need a Whig Party!

Oh, wait a minute, I think they already have one...

http://modernwhig.org

And after reading some of their shpiel, I actually align more with them than I do any of the Big 2 or even Big 3 (if you count Libertarian).

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org