A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 04:30:50 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are Big Splash's Pools Empty?  (Read 6059 times)
thefaustfive
« on: June 03, 2008, 05:03:57 pm »

We have season's passes and I drove by today on my way to Target and noticed the activity pool was empty and the slides weren't operating.

Don't tell me that after the $2 million that went into the park, it still doesn't work?

What's up?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 05:29:12 pm by thefaustfive » Logged
Wrinkle
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 08:37:49 pm »

....didn't pay their water bill?

Like a few years ago when the City (actually, us) wrote off what was stated then as a $1,000,000 past due water bill.

I can't ever get more than about $50 overdue before the City yanks my meter.

Steve
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 09:16:24 pm »

Big Splash is a rip-off.  Patronize your local private neighborhood pool (if you are lucky to have one) or Tulsa city pools.
Wrinkle
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 09:48:35 pm »

Has it occurred to anyone the real reason so few public pools were made available had much to do with Big Splash?

TulsaSooner
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 07:28:37 am »

Only to the tinfoil hat wearers.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 08:08:28 am »

I just called Big Splash.  They are open and all areas are open EXCEPT for the activity pool and the kiddie pool - which are closed due to storm damage.  They are offering a discounted rate because of it.

Why not just call these places instead of making stuff up?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 11:17:31 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Wrinkle

Like a few years ago when the City (actually, us) wrote off what was stated then as a $1,000,000 past due water bill.

I'm hardly a Big Splash/Murphy apologist, but:

The flap over the water bill was due to Big Splash being over-charged for sewer fees for water which evaporated.  That was at least where the dispute began.  Same with ORU at roughly the same time.  ORU operates large cooling towers for their air conditioning around the campus, lots of evaporation, about a 4:1 ratio to the amount of actual discharge.  All our hospitals, many industries, and larger commercial buildings rely on evaporative cooling on their condensers.

This led to the city starting to allow commercial and industrial water users to put "deduct" meters on their waste drains.  Businesses were being over-charged for water they were not discharging to the city.  I do believe that also helped lead to summer sewer rates being calculated off winter usage for residential users to account for lawn watering and swimming pools.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 11:17:45 am »

quote:

Has it occurred to anyone the real reason so few public pools were made available had much to do with Big Splash?

The Murphy's are in deep with the county, and county pools are open. They have nothing to do with the city which was the entity that didn't open all the pools, so you are again spouting nonsense.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 11:38:39 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

quote:

I'm hardly a Big Splash/Murphy apologist, but:

The flap over the water bill was due to Big Splash being over-charged for sewer fees for water which evaporated.  That was at least where the dispute began.  Same with ORU at roughly the same time.  ORU operates large cooling towers for their air conditioning around the campus, lots of evaporation, about a 4:1 ratio to the amount of actual discharge.  All our hospitals, many industries, and larger commercial buildings rely on evaporative cooling on their condensers.

This led to the city starting to allow commercial and industrial water users to put "deduct" meters on their waste drains.  Businesses were being over-charged for water they were not discharging to the city.  I do believe that also helped lead to summer sewer rates being calculated off winter usage for residential users to account for lawn watering and swimming pools.

Easily solved with the instalation of a sewer meter......

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 12:33:02 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

Why not just call these places instead of making stuff up?

Because making stuff up is easier, duh. Cripes CF, pull your head out.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
waterboy
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 02:15:11 pm »

As of Friday last, the Silver Bullet and the water slides next to it were closed. We bought our son a pass, which was a miserable enough experience, but those big rides were not operating. They gave no explanation but charged full rate.

It looked like new equipmment. I suspect it will be open soon or people will demand reductions/refunds.
breitee
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 11:28:59 am »

Big Splash SUCKS! It is one of the biggest ripoffs in Tulsa. I pity the fools that waste their money there. Patronize your neighborhood pools (if your's is open).
mr.jaynes
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 12:55:20 pm »

Big Splash brings back alot of fond memories for me. Hanging out with my friends, the interschool rivalries, the whole 9 yards. And I do stop to think about my childhood friend Lisa Lisa-and not in that way either.
OSU
Activist

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 01:12:11 pm »

I had a horrible day the last time I went to big splash back when I was in middle school. Hanson was playing on the little stage and in my desperate attempt to escape  stepped on a lite cigarette with bare feet (who the hell puts down a lite cigarette at a waterpark).

tulsascoot
Civic Leader

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 02:33:51 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by OSU

I had a horrible day the last time I went to big splash back when I was in middle school. Hanson was playing on the little stage and in my desperate attempt to escape  stepped on a lite cigarette with bare feet (who the hell puts down a lite cigarette at a waterpark).

at least it wasn't a lite beer. who would put down a lite beer at a waterpark?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org