A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 02:21:15 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014 Midterms  (Read 10141 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« on: November 05, 2014, 08:50:22 am »

There is quite a bit of cause for celebration if you are a Republican.
There is quite a bit of cause for sadness if you are a Democrat.

If you are a Libertarian though, there is a deep reason for alarm.  With the results of this election the Democratic party has been pushed to the weakest point since before the great depression.  Several state legislatures have now flipped over to a GOP majority along with the federal government, and those wins are significant and upsetting.

The gridlock and battle between parties is not pretty. . .it's not supposed to be, but it forces issues into the light.  It delays risky and careless decision making, and involves the public in the process of government. We've seen what can happen when a president has the majority (and super-majority) and can funnel through legislation in the dark of night with careless abandon.  No matter what party it is, it always results in damage that is very hard to fix.

Now with one party firmly in control, veto powers are the only balancing tool, and with the backing of an overwhelming number of state governments, use of the veto will become increasingly hard for a president who already faces skyrocketing unpopularity, not because he risks further damage to himself, but because he risks damaging his party.

I was fairly convinced that 2016 was going to be the year of Hillary.  I'm not sure of that now. She is cunning, but she will have to make a massive shift to the right-of-middle to be viable against a Christie, Brown, or Romney.   All the Republicans need to run on is the "we told you so", and unfortunately Hillary will need to join that mantra, because it's the only narrative that fits.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 09:03:50 am »

One extra point - the Republicans have been able to successfully paint a picture the Democrats have no clue how to counter.  We are in the longest period of economic recovery in our history, and yet, somehow that is a "bad thing".... and Obama's fault!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 09:45:04 am »

Well, as with all things political in the USA these days, it doesn't matter what you, as an individual, thinks.

It also doesn't matter what I think.

If you had a bunch of money...now THEN you could type an opinion that mattered.

Anyway, I'm sure you're comfortable with your prognosticating.  I'm certain you will find yourself incorrect as time passes.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 10:10:54 am »

In a spate of ballot initiatives around the country, voters sent a signal that they are ready to reform a system that has sent more people in the United States to jail than in any other country in the world.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/11/05/3589117/why-last-night-was-huge-for-criminal-justice/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 12:44:17 pm »

I was fairly convinced that 2016 was going to be the year of Hillary.  I'm not sure of that now.
If the Republicans don't fix a lot of stuff by 2016, their turn to be toast will arrive.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 01:06:26 pm »

If the Republicans don't fix a lot of stuff by 2016, their turn to be toast will arrive.

They've had two years to stop 'being the stupid party'.  You think two more years is going to help?

Unless the Republicans can find a suitable Presidential candidate willing to talk to minorities and women in a way that doesn't put them off, and willing to move more towards the center and not alienate middle-class middle-income America, then they might not win the Presidency for another eight years.  People can vote Republican or Democrat in the congressional races all they want, but as long as the three branches of government aren't working together for the betterment of the people in mind, then I'm afraid this will be a continuous cycle until something eye-opening breaks it.

In 2012, I was seriously looking at backing Jon Huntsman.  He was moderate enough socially and espoused my same views about fiscal responsibility.  I guess his social views are what doomed him in his own party.

Government needs controls but has a function in our government.  All I'm hearing now from former candidates-now senators elect are 'we will fight government overreach'.  I guess they forget they're part of that 'government'.  Right now, it seems that many conservatives lament the government.  That is, until it suits them to need it, like during emergencies.

Do I think that government has become fat and bloated?  In some areas, sure.  Do I think it's the all-encompassing devil like some on the right seem to bleat?  No.

Until K Street influence is out of Washington, I'm afraid this will be a never-ending cycle.  Both sides have their strengths and weaknesses.  But that's the point, they're supposed to strike a balance.  Nowadays, it seems like the only thing being struck is the iron.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 01:17:06 pm »

The elections are give and take and will probably swing quite a bit in the future.  The DOW is 25% higher than it ever was and 100% higher than when Obama took office.  The deficit when Obama took office was $1.413 trillion.  In 2014 it will be about 1/3 of that.  Corporate profits are at an all time high and workers are putting out more work than ever before.  At the end of the day people are blaming the democrats because none of that money is going to workers.  Which the Republican's have no intention to do anything about.  If anything the goal is to continue the path because this is viewed as the system working perfectly.  So as the money keeps trickling up people are going to be pissed in 2016 and might re-elect a democrat into the white house.  
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 01:49:24 pm »

The elections are give and take and will probably swing quite a bit in the future.  The DOW is 25% higher than it ever was and 100% higher than when Obama took office.  The deficit when Obama took office was $1.413 trillion.  In 2014 it will be about 1/3 of that.  Corporate profits are at an all time high and workers are putting out more work than ever before.  At the end of the day people are blaming the democrats because none of that money is going to workers.  Which the Republican's have no intention to do anything about.  If anything the goal is to continue the path because this is viewed as the system working perfectly.  So as the money keeps trickling up people are going to be pissed in 2016 and might re-elect a democrat into the white house.  

The increase to the national debt for Bush's last fiscal year was $1.9 trillion - a lot higher than 1.413....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 03:27:20 pm »

everything I see is 1.413 trillion
http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/12/24/the-budget-deficit-as-seen-from-2009/
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 03:44:20 pm »

2000-2012
Fiscal year 9/30/2008 thru 9/30/2009 was Bush's last budget year - increase about $1.9 trillion (1.885 if one wants to pick nits....this included for guido....).  Notice what happened the following year - about a 15% decrease for Obama's first year.

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt/reports/pd/histdebt/histdebt.htm

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 04:15:34 pm »

They've had two years to stop 'being the stupid party'.  You think two more years is going to help?

Unless the Republicans can find a suitable Presidential candidate willing to talk to minorities and women in a way that doesn't put them off, and willing to move more towards the center and not alienate middle-class middle-income America, then they might not win the Presidency for another eight years.  

The democratic party just took one of the worst election beatdowns in history. On top of that, the Rs elected two AA to Congress, and women senators for the first time from Iowa and W. Virginia. And forget about Illinois, Maryland, and Mass electing GOP governors. And YOU are talking about the Rs being the "stupid party".

Excuse me. Bwahahahahahaha (taking breath) Bwahahahahahaha (taking breath) well, even you get where this is going.

And this is about the best thing I think I have read this year: "Government needs controls but has a function in our government."
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 04:19:37 pm by guido911 » Logged

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 04:30:39 pm »

The democratic party just took one of the worst election beatdowns in history. On top of that, the Rs elected two AA to Congress, and women senators for the first time from Iowa and W. Virginia. And forget about Illinois, Maryland, and Mass electing GOP governors. And YOU are talking about the Rs being the "stupid party".

Excuse me. Bwahahahahahaha (taking breath) Bwahahahahahaha (taking breath) well, even you get where this is going.

And this is about the best thing I think I have read this year: "Government needs controls but has a function in our government."

It's amusing you have split your sides over this Counselor.  Let's remember who it was that called Republicans 'the Stupid Party'.  I guess you've forgotten since 2012.  http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83743.html

Thanks for taking the bait.  I hope you research cases better than my posts, which, given your signature, you have kind of a creepy stalker vibe going on.

Obvious troll is obvious.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 04:36:02 pm by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 04:45:32 pm »

Inhofe is probably going to be the Chairman over the committee for the environment.

That'll go just fine.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 04:46:22 pm »

It's amusing you have split your sides over this Counselor.  Let's remember who it was that called Republicans 'the Stupid Party'.  I guess you've forgotten since 2012.  http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83743.html

Thanks for taking the bait.  I hope you research cases better than my posts, which, given your signature, you have kind of a creepy stalker vibe going on.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Just stop. Please.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 04:46:30 pm »

Inhofe is probably going to be the Chairman over the committee for the environment.

That'll go just fine.

Yep, welcome to the Stone Age.

'Murica!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org