A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 06:39:49 am
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 139   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is The Occupy Wall Street Movement an Answer to The Tea Party Movement?  (Read 383243 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #1620 on: December 16, 2011, 03:34:46 pm »

I personally never saw any photos of Tea Partiers crapping on a cop car or a burning American flag.  You also didn't hear about any rapes or other sexual assaults, drug use, or anti-semitic rhetoric at TP rallies.

The tactic of trying to make the fringe look representative of the OWS might have been a good one-time hit-and-run tactic, but where will you be when someone with a tie to the TP does a high-profile perp walk?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #1621 on: December 16, 2011, 03:46:18 pm »

The pee partiers are nothing but animals with whiny noise holes under their noses.

It took about 5 minutes to find this, only because I had to sort through a bunch of other crap first:

Guido, you're obviously fond of the protester-craps-on-police-car image.  That's a minor offense compared to threatening to take up arms against an elected government.  So, yes, the Tea Party and OWS have their share of wackos.  We've established that ad infinitum.  Can we move on to something substantive?

And because you seem to have a reading comprehension problem, I've copied the same text below so I won't have to repeat myself later in the thread.

Guido, you're obviously fond of the protester-craps-on-police-car image.  That's a minor offense compared to threatening to take up arms against an elected government.  So, yes, the Tea Party and OWS have their share of wackos.  We've established that ad infinitum.  Can we move on to something substantive?

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1622 on: December 16, 2011, 03:51:25 pm »

Can we move on to something substantive?

Why would he do that? Polling clearly shows that he's on the wrong side of the issue as far as the general public is concerned. Favorables for both groups are equally crappy, but when broken down to the issues each group has raised, the OWS "platform" beats the Tea Party's. It's sort of like liberal being a dirty word to most of the public, but when you ask them about all those liberal programs, they are widely supportive. Republicans are really, really, really good at generating negative views towards words, but not so much when it comes to ideas.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 03:55:09 pm by nathanm » Logged

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #1623 on: December 16, 2011, 03:59:28 pm »

The tactic of trying to make the fringe look representative of the OWS might have been a good one-time hit-and-run tactic, but where will you be when someone with a tie to the TP does a high-profile perp walk?

Hey, that's a good point, but I don't think you can classify it as a "one-time hit-and-run tactic."  Though I do notice that hit-and-run has not made the list yes. Cheesy

http://commoncts.blogspot.com/2011/12/updated-occupy-wall-steet-rap-sheet-400.html

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1624 on: December 16, 2011, 04:02:41 pm »

Remind me to look closely at police reports next time there's a Tea Party rally. It would be fun to pretend I'm one of the idiots you're using as a source and claim that every incident that happened within a few miles and a day or two of a Tea Party rally is somehow related to or the fault of the Tea Partiers.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #1625 on: December 16, 2011, 04:08:43 pm »

Remind me to look closely at police reports next time there's a Tea Party rally. It would be fun to pretend I'm one of the idiots you're using as a source and claim that every incident that happened within a few miles and a day or two of a Tea Party rally is somehow related to or the fault of the Tea Partiers.

OK

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1626 on: December 16, 2011, 04:09:38 pm »

You mean the United States House of Representatives?

Shoot, you've got tons of stuff you can post then.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #1627 on: December 16, 2011, 05:12:56 pm »

You mean like this?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57344080/tea-partys-mark-meckler-arrested-on-gun-charge/

(AP)

NEW YORK - A leader of a tea party group was arrested after he took a gun to LaGuardia Airport.

Tea Party Patriots co-founder Mark Meckler was taken into custody Thursday morning after he tried to check in for a Delta flight to Detroit with a locked gun box containing a Glock pistol and 19 cartridges of ammunition, Queens prosecutors said.

Meckler, 49, declared the weapon, as required, authorities said. He's licensed to carry the gun in Grass Valley, Calif., where he lives, but that license isn't valid in New York, which has strict rules on carrying concealed weapons, they said.

New York has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the nation.  You'd think that a genuine tea party patriot would not only know the law, but he'd make a point of adhering to it.

Ed

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1628 on: December 16, 2011, 05:40:59 pm »

It took about 5 minutes to find this, only because I had to sort through a bunch of other crap first:

And because you seem to have a reading comprehension problem, I've copied the same text below so I won't have to repeat myself later in the thread.

Ed, that guy is carrying a sign. The car crappers, rapists, drug dealers, vandals are actually taking an action.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #1629 on: December 16, 2011, 07:19:43 pm »

Guido, you're obviously fond of the protester-craps-on-police-car image.

He might find this CNN photo of military police peeing on protestors endearing:

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #1630 on: December 16, 2011, 07:41:50 pm »

He might find this CNN photo of military police peeing on protestors endearing:

Those are Egyptian military police, not ours and not part of any OWS protest.

http://www.ramocafe.com/t466481.html ....and others

Ed

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #1631 on: December 16, 2011, 07:53:40 pm »

Ed, that guy is carrying a sign. The car crappers, rapists, drug dealers, vandals are actually taking an action.

Are you saying that words have no power?  Frankly, I'd find that hard to believe.  The Magna Carta, the Declaration of Independence, and the Constitution are mere words yet they're undeniably more powerful than some protester taking a dump.

But since you're an attorney, tell me if there's any criminal liability in threatening violence against an individual or group. How far would this have to go to constitute sedition?  And would you be as sanguine if the person holding the sign was an Arab?

Ed

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1632 on: December 16, 2011, 08:38:16 pm »

Are you saying that words have no power?  Frankly, I'd find that hard to believe.  The Magna Carta, the Declaration of Independence, and the Constitution are mere words yet they're undeniably more powerful than some protester taking a dump.

But since you're an attorney, tell me if there's any criminal liability in threatening violence against an individual or group. How far would this have to go to constitute sedition?  And would you be as sanguine if the person holding the sign was an Arab?

Are you kidding me? Are you saying a guy carrying a sign is worse than the acts of violence actually happening in the pee party RIGHT NOW? And I know words have power, but again, they are words. When people such as the pee partiers start knocking police officers off of their motorcycles, or punching a policeman's horse, or cutting police officers, then the playing field has changed from talk to violence. This, though, is what you think is more offensive than carrying a sign. Come on.

As for your questions, free speech is fairly sweeping. But, once things get a little lighter around my office, I will take a shot at posting an answer to your questions--objectively--as an FYI. I have done that on occasion on a controversial subject as a means to inform and then let folks decide for themselves. Knowledge, like words, is power.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1633 on: December 16, 2011, 09:26:35 pm »

It's sort of like liberal being a dirty word to most of the public, but when you ask them about all those liberal programs, they are widely supportive.

Supportive of the goals in the most general sense, frequently yes.  Supportive of the methods to get there, frequently not.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1634 on: December 16, 2011, 09:34:35 pm »

It would be fun to pretend I'm one of the idiots...

Pretend?
(Sorry, it's just as fun for me to take things out of context as the left.)

Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 139   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org