A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 11:48:12 am
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 139   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is The Occupy Wall Street Movement an Answer to The Tea Party Movement?  (Read 383303 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1455 on: December 01, 2011, 09:03:09 pm »

Sounds essentially like a consumption tax which is what the "fair tax" is.  Unless you come up with a rebate for lower earners though it's incredibly regressive which will really piss off the libs.  There's plenty of dispensation now for special people as you say.  Like the 47% who pay no Federal income tax now.

No.  No wage earner pays any regular income tax on wages at all.  It all goes through corporations.  And the going rate now appears to be about 36% based on our level of spending.

I guess it could be thought of as a fair tax, just different path for money flow.  People doing business would still be paying the tax, just like they do now.  They just wouldn't have to deal with the bookkeeping (except for capital gains and inheritance tax).  The tax form for individuals would be very simple.

1.  Amount of sale     xxx.xx
2.  Cost of sale          yyy.yy
3.  Gain                  xxx.xx - yyy.yy
4.  Multiply gain by .25  == tax due.

5. Enter value of inheritance over $5 million.
6. Multiply by .5  == tax due.

7. Add 4 + 6.  Send it.

Simple.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 09:04:52 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1456 on: December 01, 2011, 09:08:36 pm »

Carolla, round II.

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/12/01/adam-carollas-r-rated-but-right-on-rant/

And please, refute this video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3m0EyCCs8U&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 09:12:08 pm by guido911 » Logged

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1457 on: December 01, 2011, 09:52:08 pm »

No.  No wage earner pays any regular income tax on wages at all.  It all goes through corporations.  And the going rate now appears to be about 36% based on our level of spending.

Of course those corporations will gladly absorb the additional taxes without increasing sales prices. Well, maybe not.  The increased prices won't hurt people presently paying income tax since they will have more spendable money approximately equal to the income tax they are now paying.  People not presently paying income tax will now be paying tax through increased product prices.  We all know that some notable corporations get some big tax breaks but the official rate is already 35%.  If you eliminate the personal income tax you will need to move it to the corporate rate.  I think that even closing loopholes, your 36% will be too low for present spending levels.

I guess it could be thought of as a fair tax, just different path for money flow.  People doing business would still be paying the tax, just like they do now.  They just wouldn't have to deal with the bookkeeping (except for capital gains and inheritance tax).  The tax form for individuals would be very simple.

1.  Amount of sale     xxx.xx
2.  Cost of sale          yyy.yy
3.  Gain                  xxx.xx - yyy.yy
4.  Multiply gain by .25  == tax due.

5. Enter value of inheritance over $5 million.
6. Multiply by .5  == tax due.

7. Add 4 + 6.  Send it.

Simple.

Define "cost of sale" please.  Does it include advertising, salaries, worker benefits, cost of having a place to do business.....   Simple concept.  No so simple in the details.  I am thinking of a 2 or 3 employee type of person doing business. 

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1458 on: December 01, 2011, 10:01:20 pm »

Of course those corporations will gladly absorb the additional taxes without increasing sales prices. Well, maybe not.  The increased prices won't hurt people presently paying income tax since they will have more spendable money approximately equal to the income tax they are now paying.  People not presently paying income tax will now be paying tax through increased product prices.  We all know that some notable corporations get some big tax breaks but the official rate is already 35%.  If you eliminate the personal income tax you will need to move it to the corporate rate.  I think that even closing loopholes, your 36% will be too low for present spending levels.

Define "cost of sale" please.  Does it include advertising, salaries, worker benefits, cost of having a place to do business.....   Simple concept.  No so simple in the details.  I am thinking of a 2 or 3 employee type of person doing business.  

May be too low.  Whatever the rates are, we have chosen as a society to fund massive military excursions as well as research into frog breeding, and everything else.  (Frog breeding research is WAY more valuable than the other.)

Cost of sale;  buy stock, house, car, small furry animals, food for animals, new paint for house, etc.  
Price increases.  
Sell.  Difference between buy and sell.

Very complicated process.  As we see with the current tax system.  Huge mess.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1459 on: December 01, 2011, 10:13:24 pm »

Cost of sale;  buy stock, house, car, small furry animals, food for animals, new paint for house, etc.  
Price increases.  
Sell.  Difference between buy and sell.
Very complicated process.  As we see with the current tax system.  Huge mess.

Buy house, immediately paint.  Increased cost?
Buy house, live in for 5 years. Paint.  Maintenance or increased cost?
Buy car.  Transmission craps out a)immediately b)after you drive 10,000 miles.  Put in rebuilt tranny of same type.  Increased cost or maintenance?

I have opinions on the above but don't know the tax law on them.  I don't remember ever selling anything for a profit.  I am not a wheeler dealer.  When I am done with my stuff, it too is done.

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #1460 on: December 01, 2011, 11:31:36 pm »

Had to stop at 3 1/2 minute mark because the lies started to compound...but early on it was good....

“People who really have so much money lose how serious a game this is to people who are slipping below the poverty line and whose children’s futures are beginning to evaporate.” Jackson Browne
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1461 on: December 02, 2011, 02:13:42 pm »

Had to stop at 3 1/2 minute mark because the lies started to compound...but early on it was good....

“People who really have so much money lose how serious a game this is to people who are slipping below the poverty line and whose children’s futures are beginning to evaporate.” Jackson Browne

Jackson Browne hasn't been relevant since the 1980s.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1462 on: December 02, 2011, 06:02:46 pm »

Jackson Browne hasn't been relevant since the 1980s.

Poor guy looks like Joan Rivers gave him a gift card to her plastic surgeon's office.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1463 on: December 02, 2011, 06:28:16 pm »

Poor guy looks like Joan Rivers gave him a gift card to her plastic surgeon's office.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1464 on: December 02, 2011, 08:06:10 pm »

Saw a newsreel with him on Olberdoosh's show the other day, he's had some botox since then and a lift around the eyes, or at least it appeared so.  Brings a whole new meaning to "Doctor my eyes..."

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1465 on: December 02, 2011, 08:44:47 pm »

Saw a newsreel with him on Olberdoosh's show the other day, he's had some botox since then and a lift around the eyes, or at least it appeared so.  Brings a whole new meaning to "Doctor my eyes..."

You know you have officially reached rock bottom on the relevance chart if all you have left is Olberdoosh. Speaking of least influential, his old butt buddy Ed Schultz made No. 3. Here's Beck mocking Ed's justification.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGBfc04Nae4&feature=related[/youtube]

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1466 on: December 02, 2011, 09:36:11 pm »

Doctor now being a verb rather than a noun.

I hate verbification.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1467 on: December 03, 2011, 03:20:09 pm »

Wow. Ally/GMAC has apparently decided that they are incapable of legally originating and securitizing mortgages in Massachusetts going forward, so they've stopped writing mortgage business there after the AG sued them for their past inability to do things on the up and up.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1468 on: December 03, 2011, 03:41:10 pm »

And in more directly OWS-related "news" (more like recent history):

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2011/11/2011112872835904508.html

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1469 on: December 04, 2011, 02:03:49 pm »

Some L.A. pee partiers are apparently so traumatized by their arrest and/or eviction that they may seek therapy. Wow, what tough, bad@ss revolutionaries these people turned out to be.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/12/some-occupy-la-arrestees-feel-traumatized-might-need-therapy.html

Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 139   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org