A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 11:46:19 am
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 139   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is The Occupy Wall Street Movement an Answer to The Tea Party Movement?  (Read 383303 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1425 on: November 30, 2011, 01:50:43 pm »

Adam Carolla gets it (Big language warning).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJD8pZiRIzs&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1426 on: November 30, 2011, 02:10:44 pm »

Adam Carolla gets it (Big language warning).

Yep, just what we can always expect - near the beginning he uses the phrase "paying more than their fair share".  

15% is always so much more a "fair share" than 25% - according to "you-know-who", and Adam Carolla.

The same guy that brings us such jewels as;

Stated on the air that Hawaiians are "dumb." Carolla further elaborated that Hawaiians are "stupid," "in-bred," "retarded" people who are among the "dumbest people we have."

Referred to Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao as being illiterate, having brain damage, and being someone who prays to chicken bones.  Then said of the Philippines that they have boxing and sex tours, that's all they have over there.

Referring to gay and lesbian people, he asked, "When did we start giving a sh** about these people?"  Then added the assertion "all things being equal," heterosexual parents are better than homosexual parents.

And this is one of the "role models" you advocate?  He gets it??  Wow.... I mean...wow!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1427 on: November 30, 2011, 02:34:47 pm »

15% is always so much more a "fair share" than 25%

Do yourself a favor and divide your 2010 Federal Income Tax by your Adjusted Gross Income and multiply by 100.  My guess is that the number you get will not be much more, possilbly less, than 15%.  My overall rate is right in that range and I file single, no dependents, standard deduction.

Down in my part of the income world, the personal deduction and standard deduction are significant.  My 401K contribution is also significant in lowering my taxable income.  If I were making a 7 figure (left of the decimal point) salary, they would be less significant and a lower marginal rate would still result in a higher overall rate. 

I know this is one of your soapbox issues but I fail to see how you don't (or at least refuse to) understand the math instead of the talking points.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1428 on: November 30, 2011, 02:52:55 pm »

Yep, just what we can always expect - near the beginning he uses the phrase "paying more than their fair share".  

15% is always so much more a "fair share" than 25% - according to "you-know-who", and Adam Carolla.

The same guy that brings us such jewels as;

Stated on the air that Hawaiians are "dumb." Carolla further elaborated that Hawaiians are "stupid," "in-bred," "retarded" people who are among the "dumbest people we have."

Referred to Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao as being illiterate, having brain damage, and being someone who prays to chicken bones.  Then said of the Philippines that they have boxing and sex tours, that's all they have over there.

Referring to gay and lesbian people, he asked, "When did we start giving a sh** about these people?"  Then added the assertion "all things being equal," heterosexual parents are better than homosexual parents.

And this is one of the "role models" you advocate?  He gets it??  Wow.... I mean...wow!

I couldn't give less of a crap as to what else he has said. This is the problem that you don't get, which is why you have to change the subject. The "rich" pay far far more in taxes than the 99% do or perhaps ever will. Your response? The fact the rich pay more doesn't count because the percentage of their tax is low. Getting passed the fact that 47% of us pay NO federal income tax (I wonder how many of the pee partiers are in that category), which I guess is fair in your mind, go write a six figure check to the government just once. Not every year like those on the low end of the 1%ers, just once. Maybe your perspective would be different.

As for me, I, and I am certain lots of the 1%ers do, donate boat loads of money to charities that do a much better job of getting help to those in need than government. Probably more than many in this country pays in all of their combined taxes. But I guess that doesn't count either.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1429 on: November 30, 2011, 02:58:44 pm »

But I guess that doesn't count either.

I believe you've got it figured out.  Congratulations!!!!   You win!!  (At least until mid April, tax day was moved for 2012 due to the weekend and holiday.)

we vs us
City Father

« Reply #1430 on: November 30, 2011, 03:16:34 pm »

For those who maintain that the OWS movement doesn't have concrete demands, here's some important reference material:

We Don't Make Demands, So This Is A Suggestion.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1431 on: November 30, 2011, 03:19:02 pm »

For those who maintain that the OWS movement doesn't have concrete demands, here's some important reference material:

We Don't Make Demands, So This Is A Suggestion.

Or grievances

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1432 on: November 30, 2011, 03:19:43 pm »

Whether it's fair or not, the reality of the situation is that we absolutely must increase revenue if we are to stop borrowing money like there's no tomorrow. People in the lower brackets are largely already tapped out. They're barely scraping by even with tax rates where they are. Their disposable income consists of what should be going to payroll tax, if they're lucky. I guess you could try to extract more, but it would hardly make a dent.

Whether it's fair or not, those with higher incomes are going to have to pay more. It's not like anybody is seriously talking about a return to 1950s rates, so I think they can handle it. When the employment situation improves, the people who have fallen out of the bottom and presently pay no income tax will begin paying again, and perhaps then guido can take off the S&M gear. Who knows, the throbbing vein on his forehead might even go down. It must be flaring up pretty bad right now, given that he just tried to argue against the idea that people should pay tax in proportion to their income.

BTW, guido, a lot of one percenters donate a shedload to charity. Charities they run and disburse only the legally required minimum from, while paying directors million dollar salaries. Or they might give a $30 million painting to the non-profit museum they just happen to have total control over. Must be nice to be able to move $30 million from one pocket to the other and take a tax deduction for it. The rest of us don't get to do that.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 03:30:23 pm by nathanm » Logged

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #1433 on: November 30, 2011, 03:21:38 pm »

This is what democracy looks like in LA after the SWAT troops move through, destroy the camp, and arrest 200 people.  

It's a little like looking at photos of Hiroshima and concluding that the survivors would be OK with building some defective nuclear reactors...

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1434 on: November 30, 2011, 03:21:54 pm »

Or grievances

22 shopping days 'til Festivus.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1435 on: November 30, 2011, 03:34:15 pm »

Whether it's fair or not, the reality of the situation is that we absolutely must increase revenue if we are to stop borrowing money like there's no tomorrow. People in the lower brackets are largely already tapped out. They're barely scraping by even with tax rates where they are. Their disposable income consists of what should be going to payroll tax, if they're lucky. I guess you could try to extract more, but it would hardly make a dent.

Whether it's fair or not, those with higher incomes are going to have to pay more. It's not like anybody is seriously talking about a return to 1950s rates, so I think they can handle it. When the employment situation improves, the people who have fallen out of the bottom and presently pay no income tax will begin paying again, and perhaps then guido can take off the S&M gear. Who knows, the throbbing vein on his forehead might even go down. It must be flaring up pretty bad right now, given that he just tried to argue against the idea that people should pay tax in proportion to their income.

BTW, guido, a lot of one percenters donate a shedload to charity. Charities they run and disburse only the legally required minimum from. Or they might give a $30 million painting to the non-profit museum they just happen to have total control over. Must be nice to be able to move $30 million from one pocket to the other and take a tax deduction for it. The rest of us don't get to do that.

I think everyone realizes that.  Unfortunately, our president frames it in class warfare sound bites which whip up the lower classes.  He doesn't have to resort to: "They don't pay their fair share!" "They already make enough!" "We need to spread the wealth around!".

How does verbiage like that get the upper middle class and the wealthy on board?  I think we all realize we need more revenue coming in and I don't have a problem with my taxes being raised to help solve that problem if I felt the government was taking any steps to be more responsible with the revenue they already have and with the revenue they want to increase.  I have yet to see any sort of fiscal spending restraint by the current Congress or president.  For every cut, they come up with something else they can spend it on.  It's ridiculous. 

Personally, all I see any increased taxes from my pocket going to re-pay the highest contributors of my elected officials so I'm really reticent about tax increases.  It also irks me to no end to hear someone say it's my patriotic duty to pay more in taxes simply because I can.  I think it would be a whole lot more patriotic to stop this patronage form of government.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1436 on: November 30, 2011, 03:34:47 pm »

22 shopping days 'til Festivus.

Happy Kwanza brother T.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1437 on: November 30, 2011, 03:42:37 pm »

Happy Kwanza brother T.

May the joys of Chrismahanukwanzakah be with you, your family, and the third neighbor down on the right.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1438 on: November 30, 2011, 04:16:15 pm »

Whether it's fair or not, the reality of the situation is that we absolutely must increase revenue if we are to stop borrowing money like there's no tomorrow. People in the lower brackets are largely already tapped out.

The other part of reality is that there is not enough money even in the famed upper 1% to continue spending like we are. Some of that increased revenue will necessarily come from "us".

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #1439 on: November 30, 2011, 04:17:12 pm »

Well he's a friend of them long haired hippy type pinko fags, I betcha he's even got a commi flag tacked up on the wall inside of his garage......Oh sorry. Lost my train of thought for a second. Carry on.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 139   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org