A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 09:04:45 am
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 139   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is The Occupy Wall Street Movement an Answer to The Tea Party Movement?  (Read 383293 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1110 on: November 15, 2011, 01:11:29 am »

He's not lying.  It's called the human megaphone.  The Occupay groups literally hold whole debates by passing the salient points along person by person.  They've actually done a relatively effective jobs of self organizing using this method.

Then why do the 99.9% who are not protesting think these people are totally ridiculous?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1111 on: November 15, 2011, 01:19:08 am »

I don't know why you've taken it upon yourself to compare people who are working around the asinine and undemocratic restrictions imposed upon them by their government to kindergarteners. If you have a better idea, I'm sure they'd be happy to hear it.

Have you run out of original thoughts Nate, or does your existence on this board revolve around specifically mocking me by contradicting everything I say?

What are these asinine and undemocratic restrictions being imposed on this people?  Please regale us with your innate knowledge of all the unjust restrictions placed upon a small segment of our society.

If you are referring to the protestors being run off of public property for not obtaining proper permits or for outright vandalism, there's a good reason there are restrictions on the use of public property.  It has nothing to do with restricting free speech.  At some point it becomes about not disrupting the lives of the other 99.9% who are not protesting.  If you are referring to protestors being pissed off about having to repay student loans or contributing to productivity, then don't even bother.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1112 on: November 15, 2011, 06:55:46 am »

Then why do the 99.9% who are not protesting think these people are totally ridiculous?

No where near 99%.  Maybe more like the tea bagger percentage.

Tom Coburn has released his report on the inequities and the unfairness of the system.  Promises to be very interesting.  So many things I have ranted about - even though he still misses the mark on the huge tax discrepancy between the richest and all the rest of us - the capital gains treatment.

I know the RWRE will find a way to spin this - but hey, reality is a bit&&, ain't it?  And everyone, whether they are an OWS or a tea bagger or just sitting here watching the show, understands by now the Bizarro World Robin Hood situation we have in this country - take from the poor and give to the richest.

The 1%ers will be turning on Coburn later today... just watch.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1113 on: November 15, 2011, 08:55:02 am »

No where near 99%.  Maybe more like the tea bagger percentage.

Tom Coburn has released his report on the inequities and the unfairness of the system.  Promises to be very interesting.  So many things I have ranted about - even though he still misses the mark on the huge tax discrepancy between the richest and all the rest of us - the capital gains treatment.

I know the RWRE will find a way to spin this - but hey, reality is a bit&&, ain't it?  And everyone, whether they are an OWS or a tea bagger or just sitting here watching the show, understands by now the Bizarro World Robin Hood situation we have in this country - take from the poor and give to the richest.

The 1%ers will be turning on Coburn later today... just watch.

There's already a thread going on the Coburn report.  No, it's not fashioned as the unfairness and inequities.  It's about the ridiculous tax breaks and credits millionaires are getting like unemployment benefits, housing assistance, and farm subsidies for the mega-wealthy farmers.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1114 on: November 15, 2011, 09:40:12 am »

There's already a thread going on the Coburn report.  No, it's not fashioned as the unfairness and inequities.  It's about the ridiculous tax breaks and credits millionaires are getting like unemployment benefits, housing assistance, and farm subsidies for the mega-wealthy farmers.

Still...same net effect.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #1115 on: November 15, 2011, 10:12:27 am »

Occupier in DC making an "Occu-pie."
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Wl1ObUGAoHE[/youtube]

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #1116 on: November 15, 2011, 11:01:34 am »

If you are referring to the protestors being run off of public property for not obtaining proper permits or for outright vandalism, there's a good reason there are restrictions on the use of public property.

When minor and essentially inconsequential offenses like trespassing in a public park suddenly become such a priority that you have to have every police unit in reach (SWAT, TCSO, patrolmen) present and in riot mode, than yes, claiming it's for the benefit of everyone else who needs to use the park at 4am is insincere.

If this was a test of how well our civil liberties hold up under stress in Tulsa, we failed.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1117 on: November 15, 2011, 11:10:15 am »

Still...same net effect.

Not at all.  You frame it in the language of class warfare.  Much like our president and his minions in Congress.

Coburn doesn't appear to be fanning the flames of class envy and warfare.  I've said repeatedly that I refuse to vote for anyone whose plan is simply to cut taxes without a massive overhaul of the IRS and the convoluted tax code.  Under the current system, there's no way to restore us to fiscal sanity with more tax cuts.

President Obama could have probably gotten more agreement from the Republican side on tax increases if he hadn't used it as an opportunity to frame it as the rich not paying their "fair share" or "they make enough already".  That's a volley of class warfare.  Framing it as: "We, as a country, are in deep financial trouble and everyone is going to have to give something to help turn this around" would have sounded a whole lot better instead of maintaining the deep partisan divide. 

I hope sooner, rather than later, that politicians will figure out there's around 60% who identify themselves as moderate from the Dem, Rep, and Ind camps who are sick and tired of bitter partisanship.

we vs us
City Father

« Reply #1118 on: November 15, 2011, 11:56:58 am »

Not at all.  You frame it in the language of class warfare.  Much like our president and his minions in Congress.

Coburn doesn't appear to be fanning the flames of class envy and warfare. I've said repeatedly that I refuse to vote for anyone whose plan is simply to cut taxes without a massive overhaul of the IRS and the convoluted tax code.  Under the current system, there's no way to restore us to fiscal sanity with more tax cuts.

President Obama could have probably gotten more agreement from the Republican side on tax increases if he hadn't used it as an opportunity to frame it as the rich not paying their "fair share" or "they make enough already".  That's a volley of class warfare.  Framing it as: "We, as a country, are in deep financial trouble and everyone is going to have to give something to help turn this around" would have sounded a whole lot better instead of maintaining the deep partisan divide.  

I hope sooner, rather than later, that politicians will figure out there's around 60% who identify themselves as moderate from the Dem, Rep, and Ind camps who are sick and tired of bitter partisanship.

Seriously?  How is targeting the tax breaks of 1500 millionaires NOT class warfare?  Especially in comparison with the deplorable stuff that Obama's come out with . . . like letting the Bush tax cuts expire on that same income group?  If Pelosi'd come out with that agenda, she'd be hung from the Heritage Foundation roof in effigy.  
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 11:59:22 am by we vs us » Logged
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #1119 on: November 15, 2011, 11:58:06 am »

That was a statement only a PARTISAN HACK would make   Roll Eyes  ... along with your arguments that virtually anyone who believes federal income taxes should be progressive and not flat, that those folks engage in class warfare, not to mention your utterly silly and wholly judgmental notion of "class envy"....

As a child, I was told by conservatives that every war protester was a Jane Fonda wannabe and that black people should be "shipped back to Africa."
As a teenager, I was told by conservatives that women shouldn't be paid equal wages compared to male "breadwinners" and that labor unions were no better than The Mafia...

As a full time college student, I was told that having my part time minimum wage frozen at $3.35 for the better part of a decade was because of "market principles".... while at the same time my pell grants were cut and my payroll taxes were raised significantly to shore up social security and medicare, which would raise a surplus that would cover the baby boomers... the young Republicans told me Reaganomics was a SUCCESS, that social security will never be there for my generation, and that AIDS was "god's gift" for those who choose a homosexual lifestyle and that there was no such thing as a "hate crime"....

While folks like you and Gweed and Gas have the gall to think you pay all the taxes in this country.... you are the 54%... well, so am I.  In addition to my federal taxes, I have payroll taxes... and student loans older than Mark Zuckerberg... and sales taxes on groceries... and the surplus I paid into for social security and medicare that should have been put in a "lockbox" instead was used first by Bill Clinton to offset budget deficits and then by George W Bush for ill-advised tax cuts without calling for any sacrifices by anyone (other than the military) to pay for two wars totally financed by deficit spending....

I was told back in the 90s that I should incorporate myself as an opera singer so I could get all the small business deductions (write off voice lessons, coachings, music and CD purchases, travel expenses, etc) which would not be available otherwise... I was told by a Clinton campaign worker that if elected, Bill Clinton would be the "best Republican president we've ever had."

I have never grown a ponytail, never pierced or tattoo-ed any part of my anatomy, never been on drugs, never taken a nickel of unemployment or foodstamps or welfare payments.....

I am the 99%.   Shocked

« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 01:09:40 pm by TulsaRufnex » Logged

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1120 on: November 15, 2011, 12:07:14 pm »

Not at all.  You frame it in the language of class warfare.  Much like our president and his minions in Congress.

It was the 1%ers that started with the phrase 'class warfare'...one of their many attempts at redefinition and doublespeak, ala "1984".  But people understood where the REAL class warfare is and how it has been waged on the 99% for decades.  Hopefully, their enlightenment will last.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #1121 on: November 15, 2011, 12:13:22 pm »

As a child, I was told by conservatives that every war protester was a Jane Fonda wannabe and that black people should be "shipped back to Africa."
As a teenager, I was told by conservatives that women shouldn't be paid equal wages compared to male "breadwinners" and that labor unions were no better than The Mafia...

I am the 99%.   Shocked

You hung around some scary folks as a child.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1122 on: November 15, 2011, 12:29:45 pm »

You hung around some scary folks as a child.

Tea baggers.

Glad you recognize the scariness...

TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #1123 on: November 15, 2011, 12:52:44 pm »

Tea baggers.

Glad you recognize the scariness...

Dixiecrats for Tricky Dick.  
Sometimes I think it's only me and Pepperidge Farm who remember....  Wink
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 01:00:59 pm by TulsaRufnex » Logged

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1124 on: November 15, 2011, 12:57:09 pm »

I have never grown a ponytail, never pierced or tattoo-ed any part of my anatomy, never been on drugs, never taken a nickel of unemployment or foodstamps or welfare payments.....

At least now we know what your problems are.   Grin

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 139   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org