A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 08:13:12 am
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 139   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is The Occupy Wall Street Movement an Answer to The Tea Party Movement?  (Read 383283 times)
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #945 on: November 04, 2011, 04:47:54 pm »

hell they are hiring flaggers for road construction and pay $10 to $13/hour I'll do that until I can get back into the telecom field.

Not much help if $10-$13/hour doesn't pay your bills. You'd be better served by trying to find employment that is enough to pay the bills.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
dbacks fan
« Reply #946 on: November 04, 2011, 05:06:08 pm »

Not much help if $10-$13/hour doesn't pay your bills. You'd be better served by trying to find employment that is enough to pay the bills.

I could get buy on $28k/year in my situation. Worse case file for spousal support in my divorce proceedings.  Wink But seriously, after what I've been through I could support myself on that. I've done it before and if I have to I will do it again, and have some respect for myself for doing so.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #947 on: November 04, 2011, 06:08:11 pm »

Guess what Nate?  Those with common sense can be a whole lot closer to making their monthly nut with a $10-$13 an hour job than with a $0 an hour job, instead of refusing to work just because they can't get by on it.  That person can also find a second job to help shore that up until they find a job making what they are used to again.

My boss was telling me this afternoon that industry stats are showing there are 30,000 openings in heating and air technician jobs- everything from small home units to large commercial chiller and boiler repair and stationary engineer jobs which are going un-filled.  Why is that there are jobs that go un-filled which pay reasonably well?  People don't want to do it?  Too proud to work for $18 to $20 an hour?

Sorry guys, I just can't cry tears for people too stubborn to go back to work after a couple of years.  Yes, I do realize how fortunate I am I've never had to go the "under-employed route" for any length of time, but it's out there for those who have enough pride that they've got to be working every day regardless of pay.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #948 on: November 04, 2011, 06:31:37 pm »

How does one get to the point that this thought process is in any way understandable? Conan is spot on. Making something is better than making nothing. Screw pride.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #949 on: November 04, 2011, 07:26:18 pm »

Triumph the Insult Comic Dog at OWS. Everyone there, protesters and the 1%ers, really have a great sense of humor.

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/04/up-twinkles-triumph-the-insult-comic-dog-joins-occupy-wall-street/

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #950 on: November 04, 2011, 07:48:07 pm »

Guess what Nate?  Those with common sense can be a whole lot closer to making their monthly nut with a $10-$13 an hour job than with a $0 an hour job, instead of refusing to work just because they can't get by on it.  That person can also find a second job to help shore that up until they find a job making what they are used to again.

My boss was telling me this afternoon that industry stats are showing there are 30,000 openings in heating and air technician jobs- everything from small home units to large commercial chiller and boiler repair and stationary engineer jobs which are going un-filled.  Why is that there are jobs that go un-filled which pay reasonably well?  People don't want to do it?  Too proud to work for $18 to $20 an hour?

Sorry guys, I just can't cry tears for people too stubborn to go back to work after a couple of years.  Yes, I do realize how fortunate I am I've never had to go the "under-employed route" for any length of time, but it's out there for those who have enough pride that they've got to be working every day regardless of pay.

Come on. Where are the 30,000 jobs and to what proximity of the "unemployed". I put it in quotes because so many here seem to define "unemployed" as lazy, inept, and living off the government. It's not all about pride.

But take a look at Lemony Snicket's take: http://occupywriters.com/works/by-lemony-snicket

Thirteen Observations made by Lemony Snicket while watching Occupy Wall Street from a Discreet Distance

1. If you work hard, and become successful, it does not necessarily mean you are successful because you worked hard, just as if you are tall with long hair it doesn’t mean you would be a midget if you were bald.

2. “Fortune” is a word for having a lot of money and for having a lot of luck, but that does not mean the word has two definitions.

3. Money is like a child—rarely unaccompanied. When it disappears, look to those who were supposed to be keeping an eye on it while you were at the grocery store. You might also look for someone who has a lot of extra children sitting around, with long, suspicious explanations for how they got there.

4. People who say money doesn’t matter are like people who say cake doesn’t matter—it’s probably because they’ve already had a few slices.

5. There may not be a reason to share your cake. It is, after all, yours. You probably baked it yourself, in an oven of your own construction with ingredients you harvested yourself. It may be possible to keep your entire cake while explaining to any nearby hungry people just how reasonable you are.

6. Nobody wants to fall into a safety net, because it means the structure in which they’ve been living is in a state of collapse and they have no choice but to tumble downwards. However, it beats the alternative.

7. Someone feeling wronged is like someone feeling thirsty. Don’t tell them they aren’t. Sit with them and have a drink.

8. Don’t ask yourself if something is fair. Ask someone else—a stranger in the street, for example.

9. People gathering in the streets feeling wronged tend to be loud, as it is difficult to make oneself heard on the other side of an impressive edifice.

10. It is not always the job of people shouting outside impressive buildings to solve problems. It is often the job of the people inside, who have paper, pens, desks, and an impressive view.

11. Historically, a story about people inside impressive buildings ignoring or even taunting people standing outside shouting at them turns out to be a story with an unhappy ending.

12. If you have a large crowd shouting outside your building, there might not be room for a safety net if you’re the one tumbling down when it collapses.

13. 99 percent is a very large percentage. For instance, easily 99 percent of people want a roof over their heads, food on their tables, and the occasional slice of cake for dessert. Surely an arrangement can be made with that niggling 1 percent who disagree.

dbacks fan
« Reply #951 on: November 04, 2011, 08:22:16 pm »

Sounds like smoething you would find in a fortune cookie made by the literary society for a bake sale.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #952 on: November 04, 2011, 08:39:05 pm »

Sounds like smoething you would find in a fortune cookie made by the literary society for a bake sale.

Absolutely spot on. And where was this doosh during the tea party.

dbacks fan
« Reply #953 on: November 04, 2011, 09:07:01 pm »

Hanging out with Jim Carey?
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #954 on: November 04, 2011, 09:33:03 pm »

That isn't the experience of my uncle and his two sons, who are all in that business. I guess I should suggest they relocate. Where, perchance, may one find these jobs they are looking for?

Edited to add:

Oh, look, hard data, rather than anecdotes and touchy feely:

Yep, people are just too lazy and/or proud to work. Might help if 7 million of us didn't have to work two or more jobs. That alone would get us down to a respectable unemployment rate, actually. (I suspect that in reality most of those second jobs are part time sub-$10/hour work)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 09:39:39 pm by nathanm » Logged

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #955 on: November 04, 2011, 09:44:45 pm »

How does one get to the point that this thought process is in any way understandable? Conan is spot on. Making something is better than making nothing. Screw pride.

Uh, it's called risk. Taking the job with low pay means you have less time available to find the job you actually need. You are risking being stuck making eight bucks an hour. If you lose your job, are you planning to run to the nearest Target to get a job stocking shelves. God forbid you have a little pride and look for some legal work. Ironically, the theories on which the Reaganomics and anti-unionism you so ardently support depend on you not running to Target. They depend on you being a ultra-rational person who maximizes the value of your labor. Otherwise, the whole intellectual edifice crumbles to the ground like a burned out brick house.

Beyond that, if you can't find a job that pays enough to both put food on the table and pay for your kid's health insurance, what do you plan to do?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 09:50:03 pm by nathanm » Logged

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #956 on: November 04, 2011, 10:09:39 pm »

Uh, it's called risk. Taking the job with low pay means you have less time available to find the job you actually need. You are risking being stuck making eight bucks an hour. If you lose your job, are you planning to run to the nearest Target to get a job stocking shelves. God forbid you have a little pride and look for some legal work. Ironically, the theories on which the Reaganomics and anti-unionism you so ardently support depend on you not running to Target. They depend on you being a ultra-rational person who maximizes the value of your labor. Otherwise, the whole intellectual edifice crumbles to the ground like a burned out brick house.

Beyond that, if you can't find a job that pays enough to both put food on the table and pay for your kid's health insurance, what do you plan to do?

So now, not working is better than working. Got it. Do what you can and make money and provide for yourself. Otherwise, you suckle at the government, I mean taxpayer, teet and hope things work out.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 10:12:33 pm by guido911 » Logged

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #957 on: November 05, 2011, 12:17:19 pm »

District of Columbia police said early Saturday that a driver will not be charged for striking three people taking part in an Occupy DC protest in downtown Washington.
Police said the driver was not cited because he had a green light when his vehicle struck the three on Friday night.

Dont you have to yield for pedestrians no matter what color the light is?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #958 on: November 05, 2011, 01:27:47 pm »

^^^^^

(Reuters) - Three activists protesting economic inequality were struck by a car and mildly injured late on Friday night as they attempted to block traffic near a gathering of conservatives in the nation's capital, police said on Saturday.

The protesters, who were transported to area hospitals with no signs of visible injury, were cited for obstructing traffic late on Friday night, said Araz Alali, a spokesman for the Metropolitan Police Department.

"The driver saw he had the green light and the protesters then basically jumped in front of the vehicle to block traffic," Alali said. "It appears that the protesters jumped into the path of the vehicle."

[Emphasis added].

http://news.yahoo.com/washington-protesters-hit-car-no-visible-injuries-police-172931659.html

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #959 on: November 05, 2011, 03:49:38 pm »

District of Columbia police said early Saturday that a driver will not be charged for striking three people taking part in an Occupy DC protest in downtown Washington.
Police said the driver was not cited because he had a green light when his vehicle struck the three on Friday night.

Dont you have to yield for pedestrians no matter what color the light is?

Got it. OWS and affiliates have the constitutional right to stop other people from exercising their constitutional rights.

(Reuters) - Three activists protesting economic inequality were struck by a car and mildly injured late on Friday night as they attempted to block traffic near a gathering of conservatives in the nation's capital, police said on Saturday.

http://news.yahoo.com/washington-protesters-hit-car-no-visible-injuries-police-172931659.html

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 139   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org