A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 08:32:31 am
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 139   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is The Occupy Wall Street Movement an Answer to The Tea Party Movement?  (Read 383292 times)
zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #930 on: November 04, 2011, 10:48:04 am »

That's a crock....the anarchists are lepers for the %99 Movement. They know it and will continue to separate themselves using DC as their target. The truth be told is that the OWS protesters want a return to good paying jobs and a repeal of the Bush / Obama tax cuts. They want the corporate bribery of public officials to stop. Why is that so hard for some people to understand? End corporate influence in elections. End corporate influence and control of U.S. policy. Regulate corporate lobbying and donations.

Bravo TheTed!

And remember....stay off the grass Shocked

I will just touch on one part of your post. I don't personally know anyone that is out of a job because of any of this listed above. The only people stopping anyone from getting a JOB are the ones without a job! I see help wanted signs ALL over the place, sure they are low paying, sure some are entry level, SURE some are CUSTOMER SERVICE jobs BUT they ARE JOBS! I guess sitting on some grass, protesting nothing is the way to change this.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #931 on: November 04, 2011, 10:56:52 am »

Way to miss the point, zee....vilify the weak hands.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #932 on: November 04, 2011, 12:14:34 pm »

I will just touch on one part of your post. I don't personally know anyone that is out of a job because of any of this listed above. The only people stopping anyone from getting a JOB are the ones without a job! I see help wanted signs ALL over the place, sure they are low paying, sure some are entry level, SURE some are CUSTOMER SERVICE jobs BUT they ARE JOBS! I guess sitting on some grass, protesting nothing is the way to change this.

What IS the way to change this? 

Assume for a minute that the current economic set up is slowly failing.  You personally don't have to believe it currently is to play this game.  But let's assume that what the OWS folks are saying is true.  Opportunity for almost everybody is slowly eroding, old promises (or even hints of promises) aren't being kept by the government, and it looks that the rich are in fact getting richer at the expense of everybody else.  It also seems that the corporations are slowly entrapping the government at the expense of the most normal people.

My question is:  what is an acceptable conservative response to that situation?  To date, the response seems to be one of two things:  1) either those set of circumstances are untrue or 2) that set of circumstances aren't worthy of being addressed.  Neither of them are attempts to solve the problem.  Rather, they address the problem as if it is an opinion held solely by idiots and unworthy of a serious response. 

Assuming the situation is as described by the OWS group, what's the conservative way to fix it? 
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #933 on: November 04, 2011, 01:01:42 pm »

I don't personally know anyone that is out of a job because of any of this listed above. The only people stopping anyone from getting a JOB are the ones without a job!

Your limited contact with the world does not constitute a valid hypothesis.

And the conclusion is another BS moment for the TNF.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #934 on: November 04, 2011, 01:36:22 pm »

Oklahoma unemployment rate: 5.9% (within about 1% of what is usually considered full employment)
National unemployment rate: 9%
Nevada unemployment rate: 13.4%
Texas unemployment rate: 8.5%
Alabama unemployment rate: 9.8%
California unemployment rate: 11.9%

Perhaps, if you live in Oklahoma, you ought not be going on about how there isn't actually a problem because you don't know anybody who has it.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #935 on: November 04, 2011, 02:42:37 pm »

the OWS protesters want a return to good paying jobs and a repeal of the Bush / Obama tax cuts.

The adjusted gross income of the top 1% in 2009 was $1.326 Trillion.  How much of that do you want?

http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/250.html

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #936 on: November 04, 2011, 02:45:23 pm »

Less than 100 replies to go to get to 1000.  Is this the thread with the most replies ever?

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #937 on: November 04, 2011, 02:48:21 pm »

Less than 100 replies to go to get to 1000.  Is this the thread with the most replies ever?

Conan responded 1,723 times on his own thread about a movement he had after eating some texmex 2 years ago.

Sort of a play by play.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #938 on: November 04, 2011, 02:53:20 pm »

Conan responded 1,723 times on his own thread about a movement he had after eating some texmex 2 years ago.

Sort of a play by play.

Impressive.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #939 on: November 04, 2011, 02:57:22 pm »

Impressive.

Yeah,  that was how he described it too.
dbacks fan
« Reply #940 on: November 04, 2011, 03:35:23 pm »

Here is an example of jobs available from one temp service here in OR. And before someone calls BS saying that they are all call center/minimum wage jobs look through the list. I'm sure that some of Occupy Portland people can fill some of these positions easily.

http://jobs.expresspros.com/search/results/
dbacks fan
« Reply #941 on: November 04, 2011, 03:42:44 pm »

Here's the listings from Oklahoma.

Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #942 on: November 04, 2011, 03:48:16 pm »

Here's the listings from Oklahoma.

At first I thought you were trolling.. Then you posted the second one and figured out you were serious.
dbacks fan
« Reply #943 on: November 04, 2011, 03:55:47 pm »

At first I thought you were trolling.. Then you posted the second one and figured out you were serious.

I try my best not to troll. this was a discussion on talk radio here, and it just got me to look and see what is out there going through a temp service. I've done it in the past, and yeah at times it wasn't in my field, but when you gotta pay the bills you suck it up and try and make the best. I would gladly take some of the ones here in OR if I wasn't taking care of an elderly parent. Hopefully after the first of the year he will be fully recovered and I can get back to work, and if I have to take something temp, hell they are hiring flaggers for road construction and pay $10 to $13/hour I'll do that until I can get back into the telecom field.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #944 on: November 04, 2011, 04:05:23 pm »

don't forget to add these in.... http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=17851.0

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 139   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org