A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 09:53:08 am
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 139   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is The Occupy Wall Street Movement an Answer to The Tea Party Movement?  (Read 383296 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #780 on: November 01, 2011, 11:37:53 am »

Why do you keep making excuses for others?  Minimum wage is better than zero wage.  We've covered this before: minimum wage is an entry-level wage.  Take the minimum wage job, get experience and move on.  Or at least show that you are employable and not afraid of being underpaid for hard work.  There are a lot of people who have succeeded working 60 hours a week at two or three jobs at minimum wage while also going to school.  It's possible, it's simply a matter of how hard someone is willing to work to change their circumstances.

Minimum wage isn't a 'living wage' though.  The republicans would abolish the MW if they could.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #781 on: November 01, 2011, 11:54:53 am »

Minimum wage isn't a 'living wage' though.  The republicans would abolish the MW if they could.

To Dummycrats, low wages are the problem.
To Republicontins, low wages are the solution.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #782 on: November 01, 2011, 11:54:54 am »

Not a living wage?  So it's what? A dying wage?  Lot's of people are living on minimum wage, Hoss.

And many of those people working for minimum wage with a family of four are also propped up with food stamps, housing assistance, and medicaid as well, I might add.  They essentially end up with a similar net effective income as someone making double what they do.  I'm not making a commentary about right wrong or otherwise except that it's misleading to make it look like a single income family is getting by soley on minimum wage hours. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #783 on: November 01, 2011, 12:17:13 pm »

Minimum wage isn't a 'living wage' though.

Depending on your political persuasion, it's not supposed to be.  It's supposed to make you want to do better for yourself.  Kind of like the summer that my brother spent in the oil patch convinced him to become a better student.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #784 on: November 01, 2011, 12:33:14 pm »

Must have freekin awesome benefits packages to get all of that time off to camp and poop in trash-cans.

What gets me is that 1 in 3 aren't working and not paying any taxes to support this society, and at the same time b!tching how others that do pay taxes pay more. Also, I read today that a restaurant that just opened near OWS laid off 20 people because of the protests. Congrats OWS!!!

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #785 on: November 01, 2011, 12:38:11 pm »

Depending on your political persuasion, it's not supposed to be.  It's supposed to make you want to do better for yourself.  Kind of like the summer that my brother spent in the oil patch convinced him to become a better student.

+1

My first minimum wage job was fueling airplanes at a private airport.  I was 16 and drove a Jet-A truck all night and weekend long.  I worked lots of overtime because the boss couldn't afford another driver.  I had lots of friends that, at that age, thought my job was glamorous. I smelled like kerosene all the time.  I wan't trying to live on that money, just make enough to buy parts for my first car.  Minimum wage jobs are supposed to be transient opportunities.  A way to make a little scratch without any real marketable skills.  Minimum wage jobs are for those new to the workforce.

The moment you make minimum wage a "living wage," you will lose the ambition of an entire generation.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #786 on: November 01, 2011, 12:39:41 pm »

What gets me is that 1 in 3 aren't working and not paying any taxes to support this society, and at the same time b!tching how others that do pay taxes pay more. Also, I read today that a restaurant that just opened near OWS laid off 20 people because of the protests. Congrats OWS!!!

Did Bank of America drop its planned monthly debit-card ? If so, this offsets a restaurants impact on the economy by a long shot....

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/02/business/bank-of-america-drops-plan-for-debit-card-fee.html

Part of %99 Movements mission accomplished....
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #787 on: November 01, 2011, 12:43:53 pm »

Did Bank of America drop its planned monthly debit-card ? If so, this offsets a restaurants impact on the economy by a long shot....

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/02/business/bank-of-america-drops-plan-for-debit-card-fee.html

Part of %99 Movements mission accomplished....

Wow.  That's a stretch.  I guess since we don't actually know the mission, you could also add that today's decline of the European bank index is also a result of the OWS protest.  I also hear that PopTart will be re-releasing Wild Strawberry as a flavor again.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #788 on: November 01, 2011, 12:44:07 pm »

Another day, another rape.

http://www.foxbaltimore.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wbff_vid_10213.shtml

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #789 on: November 01, 2011, 12:45:00 pm »

Another day, another rape.

Wow, nice post.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #790 on: November 01, 2011, 12:45:13 pm »

Wow.  That's a stretch.  I guess since we don't actually know the mission, you could also add that today's decline of the European bank index is also a result of the OWS protest.  I also hear that PopTart will be re-releasing Wild Strawberry as a flavor again.

The Cardinals won the world series because of OWS.

Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #791 on: November 01, 2011, 12:47:02 pm »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4LIhfgDjH8&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #792 on: November 01, 2011, 12:47:12 pm »

The Cardinals won the world series because of OWS.

I am thanking OWS for this warm weather.  The solar radiation from their tarp village is raising the ambient temperature.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #793 on: November 01, 2011, 12:48:05 pm »

Wow, nice post.

What's nice about it? I also read that a deaf man was sexually assaulted at one of these protests. This behavior sickens me.

Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #794 on: November 01, 2011, 12:52:10 pm »

What's nice about it? I also read that a deaf man was sexually assaulted at one of these protests. This behavior sickens me.

You can pick these stories out like you pick your butt.....

Here:

occupy yourself...
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 139   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org