A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 09:52:17 am
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 139   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is The Occupy Wall Street Movement an Answer to The Tea Party Movement?  (Read 383296 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #705 on: October 30, 2011, 11:02:06 am »

Just to clarify, the bank owns my mortgage, not my house. The deed is in my name, I merely gave them a mortgage using the home as collateral. Two separate things.

An important legal distinction to be sure.  I suppose you could have put up some other collateral.  The problem is that legal distinction or not, if you don't pay your mortgage, they can take your house just as you agreed when you put it up for collateral.

Also, if the bank didn't loan me the money, there were and are other options I can pursue including private loans, contracts with the owner, etc. You have invested too much faith in banking like many others. They like that. The very thought that people might find another route than home ownership with a long term mortgage, is plenty scary to alot of bankers. It serves them well to deceive thru scare tactics like bad credit reporting, foreclosure notices etc.

That is why I put "the bank" in quotes.  "The bank" could have been your brother-in-law, your next door neighbor....  I do not lend money to my brother or sister any more (for about 30 years now).  I was always the lowest priority for payment and they knew I wouldn't do much about it.  There were several years when my Christmas and birthday presents to my brother were to reduce the balance of what he owed to me.

Given what I know now, I would never have offered a mortgage to any banker. I would have bought land with mineral rights intact, with cash savings and built my own home using the skills I acquired working construction in my youth and the novel engineering of recycling and self sufficiency principles I observed in college.

Most people don't have that option.  They can buy a house for someone else by renting or take a chance and do the mortgage thing. 

That would probably had ended up with me living in a half submerged cave type dwelling with tires as walls, a wind turbine, a christmas tree farm, on a stream in north Tulsa somewhere and lots of cash buried nearby. And guns, lots of guns.

Not my first choice but hey, whatever turns you on.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #706 on: October 30, 2011, 12:43:11 pm »

Umm, uhh uhh, umm, you know, uh, uh, um, um ................

One of Nate's folks exercising her First Amendment right to be an inarticulate dumb@ss

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #707 on: October 30, 2011, 12:48:35 pm »

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #708 on: October 30, 2011, 01:22:22 pm »

you probably wouldn't "own" that property without "the bank".

Well, without the mortgage company (or bank) that sells mortgages to Fannie and Freddie (or pre-2008, to investment banks). Few banks lend their own money on mortgages these days. This is both a good and bad thing. Good because securitization keeps interest rates down and increases the amount of money available for mortgage loans. Bad because the banks/mortgage company/whomever have little incentive to be as careful with other people's money as they would be their own.

Guido, you may be interested to know that the OWS people attempted to walk across the bridge on the pedestrian path, but the NYPD forced them into the roadway. Odd, I know. Or what patric said.

Also, DC seceding makes a hell of a lot more sense than Texas doing so. Texas has great representation in Congress. DC has none. Not that I think they could or should, just that there's at least a reason to think it should happen in the case of DC. Besides, I'd think you'd be happy to get rid of a heavily Democratic voting bloc.

In your next post, you complain that they have committees and a governance structure. I guess corporations, non-profits, political parties, and civic organization with boards and committees and the like are also full of nutjobs. I think it would be a good idea to get back on your meds, because with this one, you went from making little sense with your outrage to completely off the effin' rails.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #709 on: October 30, 2011, 01:28:45 pm »

Oh, and guido, you should be happy. Remember this sign:

She got fired for it.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #710 on: October 30, 2011, 01:32:10 pm »

She got fired for it.
So?

And also, I guess no blame rests with the idiots who bought homes they couldn't afford.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #711 on: October 30, 2011, 01:37:19 pm »

In your next post, you complain that they have committees and a governance structure. I guess corporations, non-profits, political parties, and civic organization with boards and committees and the like are also full of nutjobs. I think it would be a good idea to get back on your meds, because with this one, you went from making little sense with your outrage to completely off the effin' rails.

You really have one for OWS, don't you? Until I see our corporate or government officials crapping on police cars, publicly masturbating, pimping teenage girls, selling drugs, or any of the other numerous examples of the OWS behavior, I think your comparison is "off the effin rails."

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #712 on: October 30, 2011, 01:48:41 pm »

So?

And also, I guess no blame rests with the idiots who bought homes they couldn't afford.

For your assertion that homeowners in general are to blame to be true, you pretty much have to be claiming that one day in 2008 that millions of homeowners decided to quit their jobs and stop paying their mortgages. Odd that foreclosure rates didn't get very high until after millions of people were laid off, if there was in fact widespread mortgage fraud on the part of homeowners.

Interesting you missed the implication that the woman had a job, despite your continual assertions that everyone that has anything to do with OWS is an unemployed pot smoking hippie. Your culture war smile is getting old. Whether you like it or not, these people have many legitimate grievances (as do we all). Instead, you focus on made up stories and morons acting out, instead of the vast majority of the OWS folks who don't fit your preconceptions.

The hilarious irony is that one of the main things that sparked off the Tea Party was in fact the bailouts and the failure to prosecute any of the wall street frauds. Precisely one of the main issues OWS is on about. Apparently, your partisan blinders make that bit invisible to you.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 01:50:34 pm by nathanm » Logged

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #713 on: October 30, 2011, 01:50:31 pm »

Oh, and guido, you should be happy. Remember this sign:

She got fired for it.

But wait a minute. I thought we were told that these people weren't smart enough to know what happened in the financial crash. And, that they didn't have jobs. And they were just nasty, hippie types.

Is that picture faked?

onward...through the fog
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #714 on: October 30, 2011, 01:56:29 pm »

Is that picture faked?
Real as a heart attack. There's a video of the human megaphone in action reading the sign to the folks who were too far away to see it. (The OWS folks can't get a permit to use amplified sound, even a megaphone, for some odd reason)

It's actually pretty hilarious. Also sad, but I choose to laugh at how our supposed freedoms have been so twisted that the guys with a shedload of money get the biggest megaphone ever constructed by man with essentially no oversight, while a group of people involved in a political protest can't even get a permit to use one actual megaphone during daylight hours.

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #715 on: October 30, 2011, 02:12:49 pm »

Until I see our corporate or government officials...publicly masturbating....

Haven't you been watching the Republican debates?

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #716 on: October 30, 2011, 02:21:36 pm »

Haven't you been watching the Republican debates?

That right there may be the thread winner!!!! Awesome. In other news, here's an Occupy Denver genius knocking over a cop on a motorcycle.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DoHDelbEAQ[/youtube]

Look at the pu$$y running away afterwards.

dbacks fan
« Reply #717 on: October 30, 2011, 02:31:54 pm »

Also, DC seceding makes a hell of a lot more sense than Texas doing so. Texas has great representation in Congress. DC has none. Not that I think they could or should, just that there's at least a reason to think it should happen in the case of DC. Besides, I'd think you'd be happy to get rid of a heavily Democratic voting bloc.

the unofficial official spokesperson was refering to the group seceding not DC seceding. If they as a group want to secede from the US that would make them illegealy in the country, and I would put them on the next plane to central America with the next load of illegals being deported.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #718 on: October 30, 2011, 06:05:08 pm »

Guido, you may be interested to know that the OWS people attempted to walk across the bridge on the pedestrian path, but the NYPD forced them into the roadway.

The class action suit alleges police engineered the circumstances by which the 700 people, all obeying police instructions, could be arrested.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #719 on: October 30, 2011, 06:49:47 pm »

The class action suit alleges police engineered the circumstances by which the 700 people, all obeying police instructions, could be arrested.

Just because there is a lawsuit claiming that doesn't make it true. The police claim it didn't happen that way.

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 139   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org