A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 09:37:25 pm
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 139   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is The Occupy Wall Street Movement an Answer to The Tea Party Movement?  (Read 383438 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #690 on: October 29, 2011, 05:22:26 pm »

BTW,  Wall Street has shown little respect for private property rights other than their own. They would gladly take your property without much hesitation if they could find a legal, semi-legal or at least arguable case in court. Might does indeed make right these days.

If you and "the bank" own your property, "the bank" should have no rights?  I have little to no sympathy for banks with the interest they pay vs. the interest they charge.  I agree that "the bank" has some pretty despicable practices that need to be curtailed but unless you own the property outright, you probably wouldn't "own" that property without "the bank".

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #691 on: October 29, 2011, 05:26:45 pm »

...but...isnt that kinda one of the things they are protesting to begin with?

So you believe that Wall Street would be justified in breaking the law because protesters broke the law? What is the difference between the two groups then? What is the purpose for a judicial system if we follow that rationale? None. I suppose it would save a lot of money in arrest, prosecution and incarceration costs.

I get it now..  OWS has the constitutional right to protest and break a few laws but WS does not.  I just thought it would be kind of ironic if WS occupied the property of OWS.   Thanks for the clarification.  I'll be more careful in the future.  (Probably not.)

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #692 on: October 29, 2011, 05:31:14 pm »

No, I don't think the OWS folks have been erecting barricades in the street.

I believe I have read that some of the protesters have blocked or tried to block traffic.  I guess human barricades don't count.  Protesters have the right to block traffic.  Workers don't have the right to go to work.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #693 on: October 29, 2011, 06:07:45 pm »

No, I don't think the OWS folks have been erecting barricades in the street. I believe the police in some cities have been doing that, though, so maybe you can convince TPD follow their lead. Good luck!

Are you that dense? I was riffing on your dumb idea that a constitutional right to assemble means you can assemble just about anywhere and the idea that one needs a permit is  Roll Eyes.  Here is what OWS wanted to do earlier:

The "Occupy Wall Street" movement is leaderless and mostly peaceful, but it's been a powerful force in disrupting activity on and around New York's Wall Street since starting on Saturday.

The movement seeks to gather 20,000 people to set up beds, kitchens and barricades to occupy Wall Street for a few months in the hopes of ending corporate greed.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/216307/20110920/occupy-wall-street-protest-nyse-new-york-police-september-17.htm

And here is OWS blocking traffic on the Brooklyn Bridge.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2011/10/occupy-wall-street-more-than-700-arrested-after-protesters-block-traffic-on-brooklyn-bridge-during-rush-hour/

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
dbacks fan
« Reply #694 on: October 29, 2011, 06:35:21 pm »

Is this the next chapter for OWS?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WSi3LoI1TI[/youtube]
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #695 on: October 29, 2011, 06:40:20 pm »

And here's the other side of that story:

The Partnership for Civil Justice, an advocacy group that represents protesters and activists in First and Fourth Amendment cases, filed a class action on behalf of the 700 protesters arrested by the NYPD on the Brooklyn Bridge last month. NYPD officials claim the protesters were blocking traffic, and wouldn't exit the bridge when instructed to do so. The protesters say police led them across the bridge, allowed them into the roadway, but then blocked off both exits and began making arrests. How the resulting criminal cases and civil suits are resolved will almost certainly turn on footage from the dozens of cellphone cameras that recorded portions of the incident from various parts of the bridge.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/29/occupy-protesters-armed-with-technology_n_1063706.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #696 on: October 29, 2011, 06:50:45 pm »

Global warming, er climate change, coming to OWS.

New York has today been hit by more than one inch of snowfall before Halloween for the first time ever - with experts predicting much more on the way.

A classic nor'easter is chugging up the East Coast at an unusually early period and expected to dump up to 10 inches throughout the region.

More than 1.5 million homes have lost power in the storm.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2054719/October-winter-storm-2011-Snow-hits-New-York-Halloween-East-Coast.html#ixzz1cBcRQpcp

dbacks fan
« Reply #697 on: October 29, 2011, 07:04:22 pm »

The violence is starting to happen at most all protests:

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_19223274

I love this quote from the comments section:

StickFigure wrote:
thejury wrote:This is only the beginning but this will not go anywhere until those responsible are made to face the consequences
And whom might that be? Hmmmmm? Are you going after Obama? Barnny Frank? Freddie? Fannie? Hollywood for all the crazy money they make? NFL? NBA? MLB? UNIONS? Oh no none of those!!!! It is the BANKS YOU CWAZY!!!!!!!!!! You sheepole are showing off your true ignorance and yes this will stop soon enough because we law abiding taxpayers who knew that a $500,000 mortgage on a $24K a year salary was not something I could afford! I also knew that I would have to pay my college loans back!!!!!! What a concept!! You all just want a handout and don't want to work for it!!! I will hire all of you clowns to come wash my SUVs and mow my 3 acre lawn! Here is an idea!!!!! Get a job and save some cash and you never know whay might happen!!!!! One day us big dogs are going to get tired of you little poodles snipping at us and we will have to put you in your place!! God Bless America!!!!
Johnny for POTUS! For the undereducated liberals...he is speaking about PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. It really is a great concept! Get this...if you work hard in life you actually get rewarded! And you don't even have to spit on a cop to accomplish this!
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #698 on: October 29, 2011, 07:07:40 pm »

Let's secede!!!

http://dailycaller.com/2011/10/29/occupy-dc-to-secede-from-the-united-states/

Rick Perry suggests this, he's a loon. This moron says it, well crickets...

dbacks fan
« Reply #699 on: October 29, 2011, 07:24:15 pm »

Let's secede!!!

http://dailycaller.com/2011/10/29/occupy-dc-to-secede-from-the-united-states/

Rick Perry suggests this, he's a loon. This moron says it, well crickets...

Let'em take over the square and secede. Then DC can cut off the water, electric and sewage, erect a barricade and keep them there since they will not have any ratified diplomatic agreements with the US, and we won't support them.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #700 on: October 29, 2011, 09:00:50 pm »

Let'em take over the square and secede. Then DC can cut off the water, electric and sewage, erect a barricade and keep them there since they will not have any ratified diplomatic agreements with the US, and we won't support them.

This whole thing is such a freakin joke. Forming committees and a pseudo-government with the power of a first grade student council actually believing they can change anything. What's more, these people are supposed to be adults.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #701 on: October 29, 2011, 09:12:31 pm »

Let's dump urine in the streets!

Another man, 36-year-old Christopher David Bartz, was booked into the Multnomah County Jail on an outstanding drug-related warrant and also charged with Offensive Littering and Drugs in the Park and excluded from Lownsdale and Chapman Squares.

Officers saw a Bartz dumping a plastic bottle of what appeared to be urine into the street and made contact with him. Bartz denied that the substance was urine despite the officers' ability to identify the overwhelming smell of urine and marijuana coming from Bartz.

http://www.portlandonline.com/police/pbnotify.cfm?action=ViewContent&content_id=2545

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #702 on: October 30, 2011, 08:35:12 am »

If you and "the bank" own your property, "the bank" should have no rights?  I have little to no sympathy for banks with the interest they pay vs. the interest they charge.  I agree that "the bank" has some pretty despicable practices that need to be curtailed but unless you own the property outright, you probably wouldn't "own" that property without "the bank".

Just to clarify, the bank owns my mortgage, not my house. The deed is in my name, I merely gave them a mortgage using the home as collateral. Two separate things.

Also, if the bank didn't loan me the money, there were and are other options I can pursue including private loans, contracts with the owner, etc. You have invested too much faith in banking like many others. They like that. The very thought that people might find another route than home ownership with a long term mortgage, is plenty scary to alot of bankers. It serves them well to deceive thru scare tactics like bad credit reporting, foreclosure notices etc.

Given what I know now, I would never have offered a mortgage to any banker. I would have bought land with mineral rights intact, with cash savings and built my own home using the skills I acquired working construction in my youth and the novel engineering of recycling and self sufficiency principles I observed in college.

That would probably had ended up with me living in a half submerged cave type dwelling with tires as walls, a wind turbine, a christmas tree farm, on a stream in north Tulsa somewhere and lots of cash buried nearby. And guns, lots of guns.

onward...through the fog
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #703 on: October 30, 2011, 08:48:13 am »

I agree with this woman. I think?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW56Z-0xwIQ&sns=tw[/youtube]

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
dbacks fan
« Reply #704 on: October 30, 2011, 10:24:13 am »

I agree with this woman. I think?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW56Z-0xwIQ&sns=tw[/youtube]

Umm, uhh uhh, umm, you know, uh, uh, um, um ................
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 139   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org