A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 05:23:50 pm
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 139   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is The Occupy Wall Street Movement an Answer to The Tea Party Movement?  (Read 383382 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #675 on: October 28, 2011, 04:00:12 pm »

must. resist. but. can't. do. it.

And my all time favorite.  Smite that dead horse, triple time!

This is my favorite.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #676 on: October 28, 2011, 04:52:31 pm »

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #677 on: October 28, 2011, 07:35:07 pm »

I like how you're always there to blame the victim.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #678 on: October 28, 2011, 08:12:34 pm »

I like how you're always there to blame the victim.

Victim? Who's a victim here? The only victims I see are the taxpayers that are going to have to clean up after these animals. Nate, look through this thread. It is littered with example after example of the worse sort of behavior by persons that are supposed to be adults.

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #679 on: October 28, 2011, 10:23:49 pm »

Victim? Who's a victim here? The only victims I see are the taxpayers that are going to have to clean up after these animals. Nate, look through this thread. It is littered with example after example of the worse sort of behavior by persons that are supposed to be adults.

example: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOUMIXbTM5U&feature=related[/youtube]
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #680 on: October 28, 2011, 11:52:47 pm »

Not that I like seeing videos of my own country looking like Egypt or wherever else this spring.

Then you should find this ironic:

Egyptians March for Occupy Oakland

Tuesday's Occupy Oakland clash with the police has left ripples, not only through the local community, but worldwide.
Pro-democracy protesters in Egypt took the streets and marched in solidarity from Tahrir Square to the U.S. Embassy.
Many held signs encouraging the movement to stay strong, while others voiced disapproval of the police brutality against protesters

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/politics/132802458.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #681 on: October 29, 2011, 08:59:57 am »

Whether you agree with their aims or not, you still have to support their right as American citizens when they speak out publicly.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #682 on: October 29, 2011, 10:22:40 am »

Whether you agree with their aims or not, you still have to support their right as American citizens when they speak out publicly.

I support that right as long as they are not destroying property or making it impossible for others to express their right to go to work, etc.  I believe at least most of the protests are on public or public use property.  If they are on private property without permission, they deserve to have their homes or apartments occupied by Wall Street with similar respect for property.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #683 on: October 29, 2011, 11:26:57 am »

I support that right as long as they are not destroying property or making it impossible for others to express their right to go to work, etc.  I believe at least most of the protests are on public or public use property.  If they are on private property without permission, they deserve to have their homes or apartments occupied by Wall Street with similar respect for property.

So you believe that Wall Street would be justified in breaking the law because protesters broke the law? What is the difference between the two groups then? What is the purpose for a judicial system if we follow that rationale? None. I suppose it would save a lot of money in arrest, prosecution and incarceration costs.

BTW,  Wall Street has shown little respect for private property rights other than their own. They would gladly take your property without much hesitation if they could find a legal, semi-legal or at least arguable case in court. Might does indeed make right these days.

onward...through the fog
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #684 on: October 29, 2011, 11:46:00 am »

... have their homes or apartments occupied by Wall Street with similar respect for property.

...but...isnt that kinda one of the things they are protesting to begin with?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #685 on: October 29, 2011, 01:24:45 pm »

Yeah, that doesn't make it OK to shoot them in the face with tear gas canisters. Nor am I going to complain about the cost involved in cleaning up after their protest. They're exercising a fundamental Constitutional right. I don't think that right should hinge on ability to pay. Sorry that you don't like the way democracy looks when the normal levers of power are all held by a group of people beholden almost entirely to those with means.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #686 on: October 29, 2011, 02:47:07 pm »

Yeah, that doesn't make it OK to shoot them in the face with tear gas canisters. Nor am I going to complain about the cost involved in cleaning up after their protest. They're exercising a fundamental Constitutional right. I don't think that right should hinge on ability to pay. Sorry that you don't like the way democracy looks when the normal levers of power are all held by a group of people beholden almost entirely to those with means.

The tea party took the time to get the proper permits and cleaned up after themselves when they chose to protest. That's what responsible, respectful, and mature exercising of fundamental constitutional rights looks like. Just like the union morons wreaked havoc and destruction on Wisconsin's capitol, these animals are doing the same thing to public property everywhere. Here's a thought, you pay for all the clean up, all the law enforcement expenses, all of the medical bills these bozos created when they injured law enforcement, all the lost income by businesses because of the location of these occupations, etc. Leave me out of it.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #687 on: October 29, 2011, 03:24:30 pm »

Yes, your right to assemble should be subject to permits.  Roll Eyes

Even granting that your point is true, which it may or may not be, one of the costs of living in a free society is cleaning up after each other. I'm OK with there being financial consequences when people exercise their rights. It costs money to run elections, it costs money to provide security, it costs money to do just about everything. If your bar is that we can't do anything that costs money, you're essentially saying we have no freedom at all.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #688 on: October 29, 2011, 03:55:25 pm »

Yes, your right to assemble should be subject to permits.  Roll Eyes

Even granting that your point is true, which it may or may not be, one of the costs of living in a free society is cleaning up after each other. I'm OK with there being financial consequences when people exercise their rights. It costs money to run elections, it costs money to provide security, it costs money to do just about everything. If your bar is that we can't do anything that costs money, you're essentially saying we have no freedom at all.

Of course you feel that way since you are part of the 99%. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to build some barricades on the BA so I can assemble there on Monday morning.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #689 on: October 29, 2011, 04:11:51 pm »

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to build some barricades on the BA so I can assemble there on Monday morning.
No, I don't think the OWS folks have been erecting barricades in the street. I believe the police in some cities have been doing that, though, so maybe you can convince TPD follow their lead. Good luck!

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 139   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org