A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 09:57:49 pm
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 139   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is The Occupy Wall Street Movement an Answer to The Tea Party Movement?  (Read 383438 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #240 on: October 11, 2011, 02:16:22 pm »

That's cool.  

Ben & Jerries is owned by Unilever foods now.  Paul Polman, their CEO can probably see the protest from his U.S. office.  He was paid $1.46 million salary last year, almost $3 million if you include the stock awards. They also own Knorr soups and sauces, Hellmann's mayonnaise, Dove soaps, Lipton teas, and a ton of other companies.  

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #241 on: October 11, 2011, 02:29:18 pm »

Yes, but something tells me Ben and Jer still have some say....after all, the newest flavor is Schweddy Balls...and they have one named after a fellow "friend" Cherry Garcia....but Wavy Gravy has been discontinued Sad

The right wants to make the accusations of astro turf because their teaparty movement was exposed as being hijacked and financed by the Koch brothers along with being marketed by Fox news. We all know what the greedy Koch brothers have to gain. What is to gain by financing the %99 movement?
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #242 on: October 11, 2011, 05:19:09 pm »

A degree in "classical studies"? WTH business is hiring those people?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #243 on: October 11, 2011, 05:29:21 pm »

Evidently, none.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #244 on: October 11, 2011, 05:47:30 pm »

Evidently, none.

And it's apparently wall street's fault that there are no companies looking to open a "classical studies" department. It was just the other day that I desperately needed a classical studies person to take my order for the Super-sized Bic Mac meal.

But to be fair, it could be a useful undergrad degree for law school. But used in a career? Not getting it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 05:50:51 pm by guido911 » Logged

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #245 on: October 11, 2011, 06:16:28 pm »

Actually, I think Tim Blake Nelson has the same degree from Brown.  Fortunately, he's got a great career in film.  Otherwise, I guess he would have had to go to work for Uncle George or one of his buddies.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #246 on: October 11, 2011, 06:55:02 pm »

A college degree is not a professional certification, and most people other than (licensed) professionals don't work in the same field their degree is in.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #247 on: October 11, 2011, 07:28:02 pm »

Academics, Publishing, or even oil. Yes, I know one smart fellow who works for Chesapeake Oil and has a degree in History. Makes a lot of money. You don't have to be a lawyer, an engineer, a doctor or a technology major to have job prospects.

onward...through the fog
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #248 on: October 11, 2011, 08:00:36 pm »

A college degree is more than the specific knowledge you gain in 4 years.  One of my friends is an airline pilot.  He came up through the civilian pilot ranks and didn't have the college degree that would have been required to be an officer in the military.   When he wanted to get on with the airlines he was told he needed a college degree and the airline didn't care too much what the degree was in.  The degree represented that he was trainable and had the discipline to set a goal and achieve it. 

The technical disciplines require the specific knowledge as part of their "toolbox" which also includes learning how to analyze a requirement and develop a solution.  A fresh engineering school graduate is not yet an engineer. It takes some experience. 

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #249 on: October 11, 2011, 08:24:28 pm »

Focus folks. This 99%er said HER job prospects were zero. Why didn't she pick an area of study where the prospects were better? Why does wall street, or this society, owe her anything with that degree? She chose a program of study and now regrets it. Tough.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #250 on: October 11, 2011, 08:57:29 pm »

Focus folks.

Just which forum do you think you are on?

Grin

we vs us
City Father

« Reply #251 on: October 11, 2011, 09:25:11 pm »

Focus folks. This 99%er said HER job prospects were zero. Why didn't she pick an area of study where the prospects were better? Why does wall street, or this society, owe her anything with that degree? She chose a program of study and now regrets it. Tough.

In this economy, what would that area of study be?  Finance?  Law?  Should she have had the foresight to know that the economy was going to crash and unemployment would be stuck at 9% for years?

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #252 on: October 11, 2011, 09:49:57 pm »

Should she have had the foresight to know that the economy was going to crash and unemployment would be stuck at 9% for years?

If she is going to graduate in 7 months and has made satisfactory progress in a 4 year program, she would have been a freshman in the fall of 2008.  The crash is Bush's fault.  Obama was elected in Nov 2008. When was it that the economy started to tank?

I will go along with the question of what would she have changed her major to, especially if she is not inclined to anything that could normally directly lead to a job. She did, however, have a the opportunity to change her program of study before sinking 4 years into classical studies.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #253 on: October 11, 2011, 10:02:45 pm »

In this economy, what would that area of study be?  Finance?  Law?  Should she have had the foresight to know that the economy was going to crash and unemployment would be stuck at 9% for years?

Other than a career in theater, being an assistant librarian, or possibly going on to get a masters to teach others "classic studies" what would that degree be useful for?  Where does that degree even fit in a robust economy? I don't think you could get any more nebulous.  You know what that degree would say to me as a prospective employer?  She really still doesn't have a clue what she wants to do with her life yet and won't be a long-timer.  I'd give her 3 to 12 months before she's filling out applications for grad school or a second BA or BS.  Her job prospects aren't completely zero though.  She can become a bartender, wait tables, or go to work on a cruise ship. Those can all be fun and fairly rewarding occupations for someone her age.  Something tells me she's got a specific list of jobs she "won't" do.  So do a lot of unemployed people these days.

If you were a recruiter for a bank, brokerage firm, or manufacturing firm looking for mid-level management in this job market would you pick someone with a degree in classic studies or someone with a degree in finance, business, or even some sort of foreign studies?

How much luck do you think my daughter will have interviewing with Bank of America, General Motors, or Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co. with her degree in interior design in 7 months?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #254 on: October 11, 2011, 10:03:27 pm »

If she is going to graduate in 7 months and has made satisfactory progress in a 4 year program, she would have been a freshman in the fall of 2008.  The crash is Bush's fault.  Obama was elected in Nov 2008. When was it that the economy started to tank?

I will go along with the question of what would she have changed her major to, especially if she is not inclined to anything that could normally directly lead to a job. She did, however, have a the opportunity to change her program of study before sinking 4 years into classical studies.

I wasn't blaming anyone for anything.  The unemployment rate has been at or near 9% throughout all of Obama's term.  That covers most of her time in college, I'm guessing.  

On a resume for most any job that doesn't require specialization (engineering, for instance), a classical studies degree reads as "Bachelor of Arts," and is as good as any other general studies degree.  She's eminently employable.  If there're jobs to be hired for, that is.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 139   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org