A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 12:38:37 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: urban cycling in tulsa  (Read 12235 times)
ChicagoJoe
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 06:46:11 pm »

that youTube video to "Biking in Oklahoma" is great. it looks like it cuts off... is there a continuation somewhere?

Bikerfox is well known in the cycling community up here too. Seems like any time a forum starts a pictures thread, he pops up.  I honestly had no idea he was from Tulsa!
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 10:17:34 pm »

I absolutely think we should vote to have that song at the end of the first video, be Tulsa Nows theme song lol.  

"And let south Tulsa buuuuuurn" [Tongue] love it lol.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
deinstein
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 01:13:18 am »

a. Not at all, this city is one of the worst planned for cycling I have ever seen.
b. I do deliveries as a job, but besides that I ride my bike everywhere unless the weather is hideous.
c. I have no idea.

Now I'll read the rest of the thread to see...
ttownjoe
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 07:42:33 am »

Hey, Chicago.  Stay in Chicago.  We don't want any carpet-bagging' outta-towners to come in here and actually try to bike on urban streets.  Cops will give ya a ticket for impeding traffic or worse, reckless driving.

Stay off the trails too.  Ya might get ROBBED.

post edited and user banned (paul tay)
jdb
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 10:48:22 am »

It's like anywhere, takes riding the road's to get the nack of it. Some spots require swinging up onto sidewalks, storm drain grating turned the wrong way, wicked curbs, etc.

Collectively, we are pretty crappy about keeping shoulders free of debris and cars here have little reason to stay out of the bike lanes. California has some pretty big fines for allowing one's car tire to even touch the paint of a bike lane.

However, you can bet your wallet you won't see our local officials (the very people that could make the roadways more friendly) humping around town on bikes.

Thing about biking in the midwest, as opposed to that of the west coast, is it's seasonal - much less time in the saddle - and people here stop riding bikes as soon as they get a license to drive.

Somehow (for more than a few cagers) this equates to adults on bikes are to poor to own a car and are just in the way: or worse, they become targets.

That said, there are far worse cities to live and bike in...Houston, TX. comes to mind.

Ride invisable, jdb
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2007, 07:48:32 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoJoe

Greetings. My wife and I are seriously considering a move from Chicago to Tulsa, and I've been reading up on the city's online buzz, trying to get a feel for the city. One part of life that I haven't heard much about is cycling within the city.  Here's what I'd like to know:

a. Do you feel that the city's infrastructure lends itself to safe cycling?
b. Do you or does anyone you know bike to/from work or school?
c. Is there any community group that promotes cycling or works with the city planners to do so?

Thanks! I hope someone can enlighten me!

Tulsa is one of the best places for cycling that I've ever seen.  Motorists are courteous - for the most part - and the topography isn't challenging.  You really have to look for long, steep hills.

I commute on a bicycle nearly every day between Owasso and the airport.  It's a pleasant 30 minute ride.  I see the same motorists day after day, and they come to expect a cyclist on the road.

There are several area clubs devoted to touring and racing, but since you ask about advocacy, there's an ad-hoc group that promotes bicycling education, the Tulsa Area Bicycling Advisory Group, composed primarily of LAB instructors.  I'm one of them.  We also run the Tulsa Community Cycling Project as part of the Tulsa Wheelmen.

I write about cycling issues at: www.cycledog.blogspot.com
Please feel free to contact me.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
ChicagoJoe
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2007, 05:19:06 pm »

jdb, I hear you on the seasonal midwest weather. I just got home from a full day of running errands on the bike in cold rain. Chicago definitely sees a jump in cyclists on the road in spring/summer, but winter dosen't slow down the hardcore commuter nor the messengers. There's a great site here for winter tips.

EdW, I've looked at the Wheelman page, and I'll check out the others. Thanks for the info.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2007, 04:08:25 pm »

The trails along the river are some of the best biking trails in the region and a HUGE asset to anyone who likes biking, running, walking, or jogging.  The trails are well-paved and surrounded by parks and trees and you can see the river most places through breaks in the trees.  As mentioned before 36th Street is a good way to get to the river from anywhere in Midtown and is very bike-friendly.

ChicagoJoe
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2007, 09:31:18 pm »

SXSW, I couldn't agree more.  The river trails are one of Tulsa's treasures and every time I'm in town I see them being used. Do you think most cyclists ride to the trails from wherever they live, or do they typically park and ride?
pfox
Civic Leader

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 11:20:14 am »

Wait until you all see the West Bank River Trail extension to Turkey Mountain. It is going to be gorgeous.

I have great respect for Mayor Daley and the Chicagoland Bicycle Federation.  They have transformed Chicago rapidly into one of the most bicycle friendly cities in the country.

http://www.biketraffic.org/

On that note, while Tulsa hasn't taken an aggressive approach to striping bike lanes for the planned on street routes, they have aggressively pursued expansion of the multi-use trail system. I think that this program is one of the most progressive planning efforts in the city and state.  With about 280 miles of trails and bikeways planned in the metro area, and about 120 miles constructed, bicycling in Tulsa is getting easier every year.  

This year alone, The River Parks Authority and the City of Tulsa alone have submitted 8 or 9 new applications for state Transportation Enhancement Funds to further expand the Tulsa area trails system.  Several of the surrounding communities, including Bixby, Jenks, Skiatook, Coweta, and Sand Springs have also applied for trails related funds from the state.  It is safe to say that the trails system is on of the most popular amenities in our city... and one that is viewed by the Mayor, Public Works, and the suburbs as a real asset to their respective communities.

"Our uniqueness is overshadowed by our inability to be unique."
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2007, 11:23:14 am »

quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoJoe

SXSW, I couldn't agree more.  The river trails are one of Tulsa's treasures and every time I'm in town I see them being used. Do you think most cyclists ride to the trails from wherever they live, or do they typically park and ride?

For the Wednesday ride that starts on the Westbank of the river alot drive to the park then ride.....Some live close to the river so it's feasable to ride....

ChicagoJoe
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2007, 02:56:48 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by pfox

I have great respect for Mayor Daley and the Chicagoland Bicycle Federation.  They have transformed Chicago rapidly into one of the most bicycle friendly cities in the country.

http://www.biketraffic.org/

I've been a proud member of the CBF for a third year now. They really are fighting for the best interests of cyclists, and have done an amazing job. Daley seems personally dedicated to making Chicago a healthy, bikeable city which makes all the difference especially considering his sometimes, er, heavy-handed demeanor.

pfox, I'd really like to try the multiuse trails for myself. They sound stellar. Why do you think the they are more successful than on-road routes? Public backlash? Roads too narrow? Not enough car congestion to make it an issue?

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2007, 07:38:05 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by pfox

On that note, while Tulsa hasn't taken an aggressive approach to striping bike lanes for the planned on street routes, they have aggressively pursued expansion of the multi-use trail system. I think that this program is one of the most progressive planning efforts in the city and state.  With about 280 miles of trails and bikeways planned in the metro area, and about 120 miles constructed, bicycling in Tulsa is getting easier every year.  

Tulsa's trails and on-street routes are truly a jewel, as Mr. Fox points out.  But the city doesn't really need bike lanes.  Coming from a committed bicycling advocate, that may seem like heresy, but there's a sound basis for the statement.  Consider this - the on-street route system relies largely on quiet residential streets with low traffic volumes.  Bike lanes on such streets are unnecessary.  On the other hand, most high-traffic arterial streets are 4 lanes.  When a cyclist occupies the full width of the right hand lane, there's ample room to pass on his left.  Again, a bike lane is unnecessary.

Tulsa has some bike lanes that were poorly designed and never maintained.  Would motorists accept shoddy, second-rate facilities?  Of course not!  So why should cyclists do so?  One of our newest trails, the Osage Prairie Trail was opened only a year ago, and it's covered with broken glass.  Without maintenance, our jewel of a trail system will become unusable.  

These items were some of the subjects of discussion in the INCOG bicycling subcommittee.  The subcommittee was composed of knowledgeable area cyclists  with an interest in promoting cycling as a transportation alternative.  The subcommittee hasn't met since last spring.  Meanwhile, several bicycle-related projects went ahead without any input from those expected to use the new facilities.  I can only hope that the planners get it right this time, but I know from experience that's highly unlikely.  

I apologize for the negative tone.  I'm not a pessimist when it comes to cycling in Tulsa.  I'm fond of what Will Rogers said about Oklahoma and Oklahomans - that complete strangers will wave as they drive by - and that people from other lands think the friendly attitude of Oklahomans is what all Americans are like.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
ChicagoJoe
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2007, 08:13:44 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Ed W

Consider this - the on-street route system relies largely on quiet residential streets with low traffic volumes.  Bike lanes on such streets are unnecessary.  On the other hand, most high-traffic arterial streets are 4 lanes.  When a cyclist occupies the full width of the right hand lane, there's ample room to pass on his left.  Again, a bike lane is unnecessary.

Aren't there streets in Tulsa that fit somewhere in the middle? I'm sure I've driven down 2 lane arterial streets in Tulsa that have heavy traffic. Regardless, striped bike lanes have been shown to increase the number of riders while keeping them safer. Personally I can say that I choose my routes by which streets have painted lanes, which provide visual order to the flow of traffic, so that everyone on the street - cyclists and motorists included - has a common understanding.  Plus, there are serious fines for motorists who drive in bike lanes, which keeps cars out of them, thus increasing ridership. I wouldn't say that any city necessarily needs bike lanes, but a city that makes an effort to include bike traffic as part of it's overall urban planning is someplace I would like to call home.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2007, 09:33:14 pm »

The funny thing about bike lanes is that they keep cars away...but, as a result, the cars can't "clean the street" for you.  They become (like shoulders) covered in sand, broken glass and other debris that would normally be blown/knocked away by passing cars.  I've often wished for a mini street sweeper (like those used on downtown sidewalks) to keep the bike lanes and trails clean.  (I used to fantasize about a Dr. Seuss-like broom attachment that would sweep in front of my bike as I rode...)  

Having said that, I still wish that there was a bike lane on Utica between 21st and 41st.  It's a big, wide, beautiful street with plenty of room for bikes...but I never ride on it b/c it's curvy and motorists drive so fast on it...and since there are no bike lanes, they think the entire space is theirs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org