A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 09:58:42 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3.2 beer  (Read 26013 times)
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2006, 04:16:15 pm »

everyone seems to equate "cheap beer" with "weak beer" that is simply a misperception...
regardless of what state you purchase them in-
beamish
boulevard wheat
guinness
murphy's stout
pilsner urquel
sierra nevada wheat
widmer blonde
yuengling (got some in the bar now)
and nearly all of the domestic "lights" (i.e. coors light, bud light)
and many, many more

are all 4.0-4.4% alcohol (or lower) by volume or  3.2% by weight...

i'd hate to try and drink a sixer of any of the first 8...

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
Steve
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2006, 05:23:34 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by brunoflipper

everyone seems to equate "cheap beer" with "weak beer" that is simply a misperception...
beamish
boulevard wheat
guinness
murphy's stout
pilsner urquel
sierra nevada wheat
widmer blonde
and many, many more

You seem to really know your beers.  I never cared much for beers or any malt beverage, but I do know the current local laws and regs regarding such.  I think you are right about "weak = cheap," or "weak = inferior."  It is all a matter of marketing and cachet.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2006, 07:45:25 pm »

When I see someone buying a can of Steel Reserve or some other such malt beer in Quik Trip, I just want to ask them what the hell they're thinking?

Nobody drinks malt liquor for its taste, so why would you drink the 3.2 variety of it? If you're drinking 3.2 beer, you might as well get a beer that doesn't taste like elephant urine.

jdb
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2006, 07:57:40 pm »

Guinness, my beer of choice, is worthless in the watery version.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2006, 08:08:53 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by jdb

Guinness, my beer of choice, is worthless in the watery version.

I'm not aware that there is a 3.2 Guiness. Stouts usually aren't terribly high in alcohol content anyway, they retain too much of the unfermented sugars. Guinness is even low among stouts.

http://www.realbeer.com/edu/health/calories.php
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2006, 08:49:49 pm »

quote:

beamish
boulevard wheat
guinness
murphy's stout
pilsner urquel
sierra nevada wheat
widmer blonde
and many, many more

Why, then, can't they sell any of these beers in grocery stores?  Correct me if I am wrong, but I never see anything but a few (mediocre) American brands in the stores.  Is it because they don't want to bind themselves to the claim that they are 3.2%?  As I said before, I have been told that brewers hate the 3.2% because it removes their ability to be flexible--they have to stop the process as soon as it reaches a certain alcohol level.  If they simply put "exceeds 4%" and sell only in liquor stores then they are legal no matter what alcohol level.

My point is simply perhaps the reason people think 3.2 beer is cr*p is because it is generally mass produced, and produced simply to meet the 3.2 restrictions, while beer sold in liquor stores can be more crafted--paying more attention to the process and flavor than the ultimate alcohol content.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2006, 08:57:09 pm »

quote:

beamish
boulevard wheat
guinness
murphy's stout
pilsner urquel
sierra nevada wheat
widmer blonde
and many, many more

On one third of the Boulevard Wheat six pack as we speak.  It's like a little meal...

And Sierra Nevada is awfully good too.  It's essentially the West Coast Boulevard brewery, as they mirror damn near every variety of beer each other has.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2006, 08:59:10 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheTed

When I see someone buying a can of Steel Reserve or some other such malt beer in Quik Trip, I just want to ask them what the hell they're thinking?

Nobody drinks malt liquor for its taste, so why would you drink the 3.2 variety of it? If you're drinking 3.2 beer, you might as well get a beer that doesn't taste like elephant urine.

I don't know Ted; the stuff I get at 31st and Harvard is pretty good for a malt (Mickey's Bigmouth).  I sat around one night and drank about 12 of em before I realized it.

I realized it the next morning, though...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2006, 07:25:59 am »

quote:
Originally posted by pmcalk

quote:

beamish
boulevard wheat
guinness
murphy's stout
pilsner urquel
sierra nevada wheat
widmer blonde
and many, many more

Why, then, can't they sell any of these beers in grocery stores?  Correct me if I am wrong, but I never see anything but a few (mediocre) American brands in the stores.  Is it because they don't want to bind themselves to the claim that they are 3.2%?  As I said before, I have been told that brewers hate the 3.2% because it removes their ability to be flexible--they have to stop the process as soon as it reaches a certain alcohol level.  If they simply put "exceeds 4%" and sell only in liquor stores then they are legal no matter what alcohol level.

My point is simply perhaps the reason people think 3.2 beer is cr*p is because it is generally mass produced, and produced simply to meet the 3.2 restrictions, while beer sold in liquor stores can be more crafted--paying more attention to the process and flavor than the ultimate alcohol content.

break it down however you want but alcohol content, whether legally mandated or a result of a particular recipe, is not an indication of the quality of a beer...

as to why those beers are not readily available at grocery stores, you can find boulevard, shiner and guinness at some grocery stores beyond that i'd suggest you go ask the liquor distribution cartels...

jdb
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2006, 08:41:51 am »

quote:
by swake
...I'm not aware that there is a 3.2 Guiness...

I have no idea the content of Guiness, or what's missing from one to the other.
All I am saying is if it's not in a little brown, glass bottle I don't drag it home.

There's also a whimpy keg version, but it's been a bit since I've bought a keg.

For minerals, I drink Guiness, jdb
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2006, 09:48:35 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Hoss

quote:

I don't know Ted; the stuff I get at 31st and Harvard is pretty good for a malt (Mickey's Bigmouth).  I sat around one night and drank about 12 of em before I realized it.

Mickey's and Little Kings- a hang-over waitin' to happen.

When I have trouble deciding between a high or low octane beer, I just get out the John Powers and let him settle it. [Tongue]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2006, 10:33:18 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

quote:
Originally posted by Hoss

quote:

Mickey's and Little Kings- a hang-over waitin' to happen.

When I have trouble deciding between a high or low octane beer, I just get out the John Powers and let him settle it. [Tongue]

ahhh, powers... good times, careful though, sometimes it turns into "stupid in a bottle"... personally, i'm more of paddys fan (which through some hoops you can get shipped to the states) but powers'll do... lately i've been impressed by michael collins

brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2006, 10:38:16 am »

quote:
Originally posted by jdb

quote:
by swake
...I'm not aware that there is a 3.2 Guiness...

I have no idea the content of Guiness, or what's missing from one to the other.
All I am saying is if it's not in a little brown, glass bottle I don't drag it home.

There's also a whimpy keg version, but it's been a bit since I've bought a keg.

For minerals, I drink Guiness, jdb

perhaps you've confused guinness and guinness extra stout... ES only comes in bottles...

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2006, 11:58:28 am »

Guinness is SUPPOSED to be poured from a Keg. Glass flat under the tap and letting the head rise. You should end up with at least an inch of head in a pint glass.

The glass bottle version is so far off of what Guinness wants to supply that they have created a can of Guinness with a CO2 charge in the bottom so you get a proper head when you pour. You open the can and it opens the CO2 charge in the bottom at the same time.

The glass bottle version is fine, but it’s not the real deal. And there is no “watered” down version to meet alcohol content rules.
jdb
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2006, 01:02:58 pm »

Hey Swake,

Question:

Is it true that you get a much better pint of GUINNESS® beer in Ireland?

Answer:

GUINNESS® is GUINNESS® - wherever you are. We always use pure, fresh water from natural local sources for the GUINNESS® beer brewed outside Ireland. That said, in blind tests (with a bunch of highly cynical journalists) none of our sample could tell the difference between Irish-brewed GUINNESS® and the locally produced variety. All the GUINNESS® sold in the UK, Ireland and North America is brewed in Ireland at the historic St. James’s Gate Brewery in Dublin.

Site say's it's 5% ABV.

http://www.guinness.com/us_en/bottomnav/leftnav/faqs/default.aspx#q13

To clarify, I have been refering to the EXTRA STOUT as my beer of choice, without having actually said as much. Silly me.

Now I have a sudden itch to scratch, jdb
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org