A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 11:04:28 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 35?  (Read 5605 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 08:37:12 am »

Did anyone ever take Riverside from 101st until it ran into Sheridan (by that point I think it's called River Rd.), going 70+, back in the day?

No, but the corner as Riverside/Delaware turns into 121st was fine at 50, unless you were a complete dufus.  Didn't even have to go into the opposing traffic lane. (Weather etc permitting.)  The road surface is also a limiting factor now.  Too many potholes and patches.

I call it River Rd too but don't know if it was ever a official name.  I have seen signs labeling it Delaware.  I believe "Riverside" ends at the Jenks bridge.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 09:44:07 am »

Yale heading South toward 121st has a "reduced speed ahead" sign just before a 35 MPH sign.

The 35 MPH sign is hidden by a "Stop ahead" sign.

As you read the "stop ahead" sign then the 35 MPH sign, you're braking to stop.  The reduced speed sign and 35 MPH sign are zany.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 09:59:33 am »

Did anyone ever take Riverside from 101st until it ran into Sheridan (by that point I think it's called River Rd.), going 70+, back in the day?

Oh yeah, many times.  Probably more than dumb luck I didn't get wrapped around a tree.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Johnboy976
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 10:22:35 am »

Traditionally I would go 55 in that area, but my brother was of a different sort. He always tested out his new car(s) around there with 80 mph being his cruising speed, it seemed like. Evidently I-44 to OKC wasn't good enough.
buckeye
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 11:23:49 am »

Ahem.  What?

I remember when 111th street was the middle of nowhere, lo these many (Cool years ago.  Used to be fun to drive down there, not anymore.  Traffic down south really is a pain in the butt.
dbacks fan
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2009, 01:32:14 pm »

Yes, back in the early 80's (82,83,84) several of my friends and I used to see who could get the quickest run down that stretch. At that time the starting point was just south of the Jenks Bridge (Riverside Drive ended at 61st) and the end was 121st and Sheridan at the stop sign. At the time I had a TR6, a TR7 and a modified Jensen Healey and would easily be doing 100+ before taking the turn onto 121st. I think about 70mph was the fastest I took the turn.

Some one mentioned doing the Tulsa to OKC run on the turnpike. A couple of times I made it in roughly and hour. Always loved the look on the face of the attenant when they stamped thee time on the card to hand back.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2009, 01:48:47 pm »

Yes, back in the early 80's (82,83,84) several of my friends and I used to see who could get the quickest run down that stretch. At that time the starting point was just south of the Jenks Bridge (Riverside Drive ended at 61st) and the end was 121st and Sheridan at the stop sign. At the time I had a TR6, a TR7 and a modified Jensen Healey and would easily be doing 100+ before taking the turn onto 121st. I think about 70mph was the fastest I took the turn.

Some one mentioned doing the Tulsa to OKC run on the turnpike. A couple of times I made it in roughly and hour. Always loved the look on the face of the attenant when they stamped thee time on the card to hand back.

I'm surprised the OHP has never resorted to using time stamps on the Turnpike or port-to-port on Pike Passes to issue tickets.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org