A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 12:17:36 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All Souls moving to East Village?  (Read 38584 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2011, 06:42:15 pm »

Will they be on the park that Land Legacy is working on?

The church would be part of that project and sit at the end of the park.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2011, 05:23:59 pm »

The church voted to move downtown.  It will be interesting to see what their plans are once they develop.  I've heard the church will be on the Randolph Fields site but that other facilities like the school and community center will be on the empty lots around 6th & Frankfurt.  This could really help out that forlorn section of east downtown, especially once the Land Legacy park is finished.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=18&articleid=20111122_18_A9_CUTLIN749148

jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2011, 10:25:36 pm »

especially once the Land Legacy park is finished.

HAHAHAHA you think that is going to HAPPEN!  I've got a property being renovated by Sager, do you want to lease a condo?

Watch for it.  All souls will be yet enouther source of parking lots.  They will knock down the nordam buidings for parking and not think twice.  The will will also with there closeness keep Blake from building his movie theater on the site he has in mind at moment.  DOOM! DOOM! 

Ok fine, I'll quit playing around on the internet.

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2011, 12:45:02 am »

I suggested Holy Family on 15th trade for Wilson TPS last week to add parking lots along Cherry Street.

Today I will recommend the Church behind Keo/Blue Moon move down to All Souls and save Brookside from the NIMBYs ....

Wheeee....more parking lots on Peoria for drunks! Cheesy
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2011, 09:03:38 am »

Could explain my liberal tendencies on social issues.  It's just pure selfishness that makes me a fiscal conservative.

Huh

I had to reboot after reading that...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2011, 02:27:48 pm »

I'm pretty unexcited about converting more downtown real estate to tax exempt church owned property.  In my opinion, the best interests of most congregations are not the best interests of downtown development.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2011, 02:36:27 pm »

I'm pretty unexcited about converting more downtown real estate to tax exempt church owned property.  In my opinion, the best interests of most congregations are not the best interests of downtown development.

Yeah, but where would Rome be without the Vatican??  This could work....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2011, 02:47:04 pm »

This will help revitalize downtown!!!

(for one hour a week)

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2011, 09:29:02 pm »

This is an unimproved grassy lot that hasn't been in play before. They will build a beautiful building and bring people downtown all day Sunday and multiple nights a week. They have a large, wealthy congregation that will look for places to eat after services. They are going create many jobs to build the $16 million church.

Yet, on TulsaNow, you guys act as if they are stealing food out of your baby's mouth. They won't tear down any Nordam buildings, There wasn't any strip clubs wanting to move into the area, and they are taking out ultra low value property out of tax rolls. Nothing has happened within two blocks of their site for two decades.

Why don't we embrace downtown investment rather than always finding fault?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 10:04:53 am by RecycleMichael » Logged

Power is nothing till you use it.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2011, 08:30:19 am »

Perhaps once there is more of a "critical mass" of restaurants/shopping and such downtown, some of these church people will indeed begin to stay around for a bit on Sunday.  Was heading to the "Deco District" this last Sunday to work on the museum and noticed the streets to the south of the churches, after they finished their services and let out, were backed up with cars heading out of downtown.  Yet the streets just north of the churches, towards the restaurants and such, were dead as a doornail.  Mods by us was closed, and you could have heard a cricket chirping everywhere else nearby.  I couldn't help but think, "Wouldn't it be great if there was a church right next door or nearby so that when they let out they would go by the Tulsa Art Deco Museum or the other places by us.  So again, perhaps if there is more stuff they will tend to stay and visit? Or perhaps they won't.  I don't know.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2011, 02:35:54 pm »

In defense of the churchgoers, downtown is pretty pathetic on Sundays. Unless they're looking to go get tanked, there's not too many places that are open on Sundays to eat (another reason I wouldn't mind more chains. they'd likely have better hours than a lot of local businesses).

Maybe it's a chicken and egg thing. Though the current downtown businesses haven't shown much initiative in terms of expanding hours. There are a dozen instances of shorter business hours for every place that's expanded their hours the past year or three.

Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2011, 03:22:21 pm »

Does the public realize the Units are atheists? I'm not sure they know what they are.... Wink

And don't give me any agnosticating....
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2011, 05:58:13 pm »

Does the public realize the Units are atheists? I'm not sure they know what they are.... Wink

You are wrong. Some Unitarians are, but most are not. From wikipedia...

Unitarian Universalism is a religion characterized by support for a "free and responsible search for truth and meaning".[1] Unitarian Universalists do not share a creed; rather, they are unified by their shared search for spiritual growth and by the understanding that an individual's theology is a result of that search and not obedience to an authoritarian requirement. Unitarian Universalists draw on many different theological sources and have a wide range of beliefs and practices.

Historically, both Unitarianism and Universalism have roots in the Christian faith. Contemporary Unitarian Universalists espouse a pluralist approach to religion, whereby the followers may be atheist, deist, theist, polytheist, or have no label at all.

Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2011, 11:12:29 pm »

You are wrong. Some Unitarians are, but most are not. From wikipedia...

Unitarian Universalism is a religion characterized by support for a "free and responsible search for truth and meaning".[1] Unitarian Universalists do not share a creed; rather, they are unified by their shared search for spiritual growth and by the understanding that an individual's theology is a result of that search and not obedience to an authoritarian requirement. Unitarian Universalists draw on many different theological sources and have a wide range of beliefs and practices.

Historically, both Unitarianism and Universalism have roots in the Christian faith. Contemporary Unitarian Universalists espouse a pluralist approach to religion, whereby the followers may be atheist, deist, theist, polytheist, or have no label at all.

Oh, whatever.... philosophically, Wiki don't count.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2011, 07:02:04 am »

You really shouldn't speak of other's faith when you don't know what you are talking about. The Unitarian congregation has many who carry bibles and the sermons often talk of Jesus and God. There are many Catholics who feel that they can't go to their church because they got divorced or Baptists who feel they aren't as welcome in their church because they are gay. There are many atheists and many agnostics as well.

Many of Reverend Carlton Pearson's congregation joined All Souls after he preached about Universalism. He believed that we are all universally saved and God is too good to damn them just because they didn't profess their lives to his Son. Many of his congregation left him and many of them joined All Souls.

All Souls is a church that just accepts everybody without demanding they profess to a certain religious credd.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org