A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 04:35:48 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa parking meter rates  (Read 22470 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 08:26:17 am »

I avoid going down town like the plague because I hate to feed the meter.  I have replaced several vendors over the years because the hassle of parking and paying for it drives me crazy.

I guess I'm spoiled, I want to park, walk in, and do business. 

I am amazed that you would go to the extent of "replacing several vendors" because of having to keep a handful of nickels in your car.

That is like saying you won't eat at a restaurant that has waitresses. You don't to be bothered with all that ordering at the table or tipping.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 09:15:20 am »

I'm fine with the increased rate during a business day.

But not on weekends or after 5 on weekdays.

American parking and their sorry excuse for parking lot care can kiss my dimpled butt.  I'm against them and any attempt by them to increase their business by asking for on-street parking rates to be extended beyond normal business hours.

If the city wants to increase income in this way, charge fees for all surface lots within city limits.  $.10 an hour Monday through Friday for each spot...oh and maybe they should get the parking meters repaired.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 09:51:04 am »

I am amazed that you would go to the extent of "replacing several vendors" because of having to keep a handful of nickels in your car.

That is like saying you won't eat at a restaurant that has waitresses. You don't to be bothered with all that ordering at the table or tipping.

It's the hassle of finding a spot, then 9 times out of 10 I don't have the change.  I guess it's laziness.  I like to park at a business.  I never carry cash, and to do so requires that I stop at an ATM.

Now if we had more meters that accepted debit cards, it wouldn't be so bad.  If it's raining, forget it.   

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 11:15:50 am »

It's the hassle of finding a spot, then 9 times out of 10 I don't have the change.  I guess it's laziness.  I like to park at a business.  I never carry cash, and to do so requires that I stop at an ATM.

Now if we had more meters that accepted debit cards, it wouldn't be so bad.  If it's raining, forget it.   

We are not that far off. I agree that more debit card readers would be nice. I am probably just as lazy as you, but don't seem to have as much of a problem as you finding a parking spot within a block of where I am going.

Come back downtown. Bring a bag o' nickels and join in the fun.

Power is nothing till you use it.
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 11:26:12 am »

I'm fine with the increased rate during a business day.

But not on weekends or after 5 on weekdays.

American parking and their sorry excuse for parking lot care can kiss my dimpled butt.  I'm against them and any attempt by them to increase their business by asking for on-street parking rates to be extended beyond normal business hours.

+1
Our parking meter rates are WAY cheap.  The idea is to keep the spots from being occupied by people working downtown and have them available for patrons, correct?  I think it would be smart to implement a modest rate hike at first with a possible incremental increase to a reasonable market price. 
It is just bad timing to start charging on nights and weekends when we are trying to promote activity downtown at these times.  Why would we create that deterrent when we are trying to support downtown start-ups and growth.  Its not much of a deterrent from me, but most people are fatter, and lazier, and even more finicky than I am and it will encourage them to go to somewhere else instead. Downtown offerings are already limited in choice and hours of operation.  I know thats a chicken before the egg thing, but isn't that enough of a barrier.  Why add to the hump we're trying to get over?

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 11:29:14 am »

My biggest laugh is when I see people park in pay lots during nights (such as shows at the PAC or going to the bars/club) when so many on-street spaces are available.

---Robert
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 12:21:39 pm »

My biggest laugh is when I see people park in pay lots during nights (such as shows at the PAC or going to the bars/club) when so many on-street spaces are available.

They never come downtown any other times to know any better.

They prob think they have to pay $5/$10 no matter what or when.
Fiend
Citizen

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 01:43:19 pm »

I stopped putting money into the meters downtown when I realized they are not enforced, atleast in the late afternoon and evenings. 

dbacks fan
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 02:07:51 pm »

$.50 an hour is cheap. (perhaps why some meters don't work?) After seeing RM's comment I looked up the going rate here in Phoenix and it is $1.50 and that went into effect March '09.

LA is $4.00 an hour at the meter.

http://phoenix.bizjournals.com/phoenix/stories/2009/02/23/daily38.html

A funny parking ticket story, we were traveling through CA in 2003 and we left SF early to go to Monterey since I had not been there. On the day before Thanksgiving we parked in a municipla parking lot near the wharf to go take pictures and spent $2.00 for a 1/2 hour. We were 5 minutes late getting back and there was a ticket for $25.00 for overparking. The lot will hold about 600 cars. I looked around and there were maybe10 to 20 cars in the lot, and no sign of someone from parking enforcement. Don't know if the former Mrs. dback ever paid that ticket.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2010, 02:12:24 pm »

A funny parking ticket story, we were traveling through CA in 2003 and we left SF early to go to Monterey since I had not been there. On the day before Thanksgiving we parked in a municipla parking lot near the wharf to go take pictures and spent $2.00 for a 1/2 hour. We were 5 minutes late getting back and there was a ticket for $25.00 for overparking. The lot will hold about 600 cars. I looked around and there were maybe10 to 20 cars in the lot, and no sign of someone from parking enforcement. Don't know if the former Mrs. dback ever paid that ticket.
there they have the Ninja Parking enforcer
dbacks fan
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2010, 10:36:47 am »

Thanks OKC for giving us the oh so despised parking meter:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/07/16/parking.meter.anniversary/index.html?hpt=C2
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2010, 11:30:30 am »

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/07/16/parking.meter.anniversary/index.html?hpt=C2

lol you didn't know that?  There is also some traffic control device (yeild sign, stop sign, traffic light, something) that was first introduced, I believe, in guthrie, as well.  We know how to take the fun out of driving in oklahoma

dbacks fan
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2010, 12:05:32 pm »

"lol you didn't know that?  There is also some traffic control device (yeild sign, stop sign, traffic light, something) that was first introduced, I believe, in guthrie, as well.  We know how to take the fun out of driving in oklahoma"

Yes, I know that, and let's not forget the lowly shopping cart as well. Don't even get me started on the Turnpikes, I can remember when there were only six of them.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2010, 12:23:49 pm »

I stopped putting money into the meters downtown when I realized they are not enforced, atleast in the late afternoon and evenings.  
They have one guy who writes tickets downtown, I think. That's clearly not enough to cover a mile square area.

But that seems to be the way government works in Oklahoma, the state missing out on money by being thrifty. It's the same way with the parking meter batteries, the weigh stations, and countless other things.

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2010, 06:02:17 pm »

They just said on the news that it was 70 years ago today that the meter made it's debut
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org