A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:59:42 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2008 Kentucky Derby  (Read 2495 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« on: May 03, 2008, 03:39:21 pm »

I went out to Fair Meadows with 3,000 of my closest friends to bet the Kentucky Derby.

I think the 13 horse, (Bob Black Jack) will run to the front and be caught by the 20 horse, (Big Brown) coming out of the second turn. If either of them get on the lead by themselves because of bumping in a twenty horse field, they could wire them.

My best pick is the 10 horse, (Colonel John). He won the Santa Anita derby by waiting, waiting, then exploding past the field with long strides. I like him the most and my two dollars will pay around eleven when he wins.

The Arkansas derby horse usually finishes in the top three so add 19 (Gallego) in your exotics and longshots 4(Court Vision), 9(Pyro) and 5(Eight Belles) are worthy if you have people to split the cost of the ticket with.

Power is nothing till you use it.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 06:11:07 pm »

Just got back from Fair Meadows. Watched Big Brown, Eight Belles and Dennis of Cork come in 1,2,3.  Everybody was excited about the filly and the hometown kid doing so well.  At the simulcast, they didn't show anything after the finish, so we heard about Eight Belles from a guy who got a call from somebody watching at home.  We couldn't believe it because she finished so strong.  You couldn't see anything wrong as she crossed the finish line. So sad.  Totally changed the mood for the evening.  I'd bet on EB to place... but it's not very fun to collect on a bet on a horse who was just put down. Sad
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 06:11:45 pm by PonderInc » Logged
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 07:26:26 pm »

I played my two favorites over my three longshots in one dollar exactas and trifectas, then bet each of two favorites five dollars  across the board. Then I went back and bet a two dollar exacta box on the two favorites.

I bet a total of 26 bets for $52 and got back $112. After gas, a program, drink and a sandwich, I was up about $50.

I studied the race program for about ten hours and I hung out for a couple of hours watching and talking to friends...so four bucks an hour is good pay for me.

Power is nothing till you use it.
FOTD
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 12:44:25 pm »

I just went 50 across on 16. He paid good. He ran good. The backstretch headwind slowed the fireld apparently. I think Cork is as good as the winner Big Brown. Maybe Denis of Cork will be the spoiler come Belmont.

Too bad about the Filly.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 07:26:50 am »

I had those three in a $2 trifecta, but with the Tulsa horse coming out the better.  So it doesn't really matter, but I think the trifecta was 2 - $525.  At $2

I also had $10 on Dennis of Cork to show, so I made a few bucks there.  A few other bets and parlays failed to pay out, but no real money lost/gained.

Good race.  Good times.  Too bad Belles had to be put down, but anything built to push the limits is prone to break down (machine, or animal unfortunately).  I just hope this doesn't lead to PETA types gaining traction on further race restrictions - though I do hope breeders start paying more attention to ankle strength in breeding (not a horse breeder, but it seems like a wise move to me).

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 08:21:16 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

I had those three in a $2 trifecta, but with the Tulsa horse coming out the better.  So it doesn't really matter, but I think the trifecta was 2 - $525.  At $2

I also had $10 on Dennis of Cork to show, so I made a few bucks there.  A few other bets and parlays failed to pay out, but no real money lost/gained.

Good race.  Good times.  Too bad Belles had to be put down, but anything built to push the limits is prone to break down (machine, or animal unfortunately).  I just hope this doesn't lead to PETA types gaining traction on further race restrictions - though I do hope breeders start paying more attention to ankle strength in breeding (not a horse breeder, but it seems like a wise move to me).

Three in a $2 trifecta?  What, are you some kind of internet tough guy???

The parking sucked at the fairgrounds on Saturday and they've got it so carved up with various construction projects, it's like a rat maze.  pancakes were they thinking roping off part of the parking lot outside the FM complex?

The parking situation all but killed the gun show.  Vendors weren't happy.

Does anyone know what is going on with the midway on the north side of the IPE building?  I had no idea they were scraping all that.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org