A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:57:52 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wright off the rails!  (Read 5208 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« on: April 29, 2008, 03:51:38 pm »

Jeremiah Wright is now firing back at Obama for his news conference today.  

He's turned 180 and is now portraying Obama as a divider.

Obama's worst nightmare. . .Wright is planning a speaking tour.  

Hillary must be cackling in the background.

Where is this going?  Wow!

Oh! My!  What the rest of the civilized world must think of us.  Our presidential primary has become reality TV.  Just like everything else I guess.[xx(]

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 04:00:33 pm »

Ok, My prediction (not that it matters).

This guy is an angry charismatic wolverine.  He's going to turn the black voting block away from Obama so fast that his head will spin.  

This is powerful history in the making!

TulsaFan-inTexas
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 04:25:13 pm »

Wright and people like Al Sharpton make a living off the whole attitude of all blacks being downtrodden and not given a chance.

What do you think that will do to their "argument" if a black man becomes President of the United States?

They won't have quite the profit margin in their little kingdoms. They know this and are trying to bring Obama down.
FOTD
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 04:26:40 pm »

I bet you can look up the stat somewhere on this... how many times have you seen Hagee's Catholic church is a whore comment played on the media compared to Wright's Goddamn America comment? Those white rev's say some of the most outrageous things and the press says, oh my and then moves on. A black man comes along and says something equally incendiary and suddenly it's a black uprising. The stupid fright wingnut talking heads play it over and over and over. All the blowhards should just shut up! I don't care what your blather consists of or what you look like or who you pray too or if you have unsavory friends and some bad habits. You are either on the bus or off the bus that's driving towards the solution to all our problems.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 04:39:15 pm »

Obama 'outraged' by Wright's remarks.

quote:
(CNN) -- Sen. Barack Obama said he is "outraged" by comments his former minister, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, made Monday at the National Press Club and is "saddened by the spectacle."

"I have been a member of Trinity Church since 1992. I have known Rev. Wright for almost 20 years," he said at a news conference in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. "The person I saw yesterday is not the person I met 20 years ago."

Obama said he is outraged by Wright's remarks that seemed to suggest the U.S. government might be responsible for the spread of AIDS in the black community and his equation of some American wartime efforts with terrorism.

. . . .

Obama said Wright's comments were not only "divisive and destructive," but they "end up giving comfort to those who prey on hate."  

Obama said he did not think Wright's comments accurately portrayed the perspective of the black church and said they "certainly do not portray accurately" his own values and beliefs.

Interesting politcal hari-kiri:  Wright crazies it up his public appearances so that Obama can do the denounce-and-distance.  

Whether it was intentional or not, Wright made it much easier for Obama to back away . . . and put the whole issue a lot farther down the road to being forgotten. I will be interested to see if this changes the story arc. My guess is it shortens it considerably.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 06:39:26 am »

quote:
Originally posted by we vs us

Obama 'outraged' by Wright's remarks.

quote:
(CNN) -- Sen. Barack Obama said he is "outraged" by comments his former minister, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, made Monday at the National Press Club and is "saddened by the spectacle."

"I have been a member of Trinity Church since 1992. I have known Rev. Wright for almost 20 years," he said at a news conference in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. "The person I saw yesterday is not the person I met 20 years ago."

Obama said he is outraged by Wright's remarks that seemed to suggest the U.S. government might be responsible for the spread of AIDS in the black community and his equation of some American wartime efforts with terrorism.

. . . .

Obama said Wright's comments were not only "divisive and destructive," but they "end up giving comfort to those who prey on hate."  

Obama said he did not think Wright's comments accurately portrayed the perspective of the black church and said they "certainly do not portray accurately" his own values and beliefs.

Interesting politcal hari-kiri:  Wright crazies it up his public appearances so that Obama can do the denounce-and-distance.  

Whether it was intentional or not, Wright made it much easier for Obama to back away . . . and put the whole issue a lot farther down the road to being forgotten. I will be interested to see if this changes the story arc. My guess is it shortens it considerably.

We'll see.  I don't think it's going to play out like that.  Wright is not letting go now, and the media won't let go.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 06:45:45 am »

Perhaps I'm wrong.  No effect on superdelegates yet.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0408/9968.html

FOTD
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 09:15:11 am »

Wright is wrong to be bringing this up on a book tour but Hagee is worse and John McFlintstone's got an issue on his hands much more destructive because instead of his allegiance being for spiritual reasons his support is for votes. Not looking good for the oldster....

How Hagee's Hate Speech Encourages Violence Against Gays
By MARC MCDONALD
http://www.beggarscanbechoosers.com/2008/04/how-hagees-hate-speech-encourages_29.html

"A lot of us have been shocked and appalled by John Hagee's hate speech against gays. But the worst aspect of this hate speech is that it is precisely the sort of provocation that encourages violence against gay people."

and

http://www.prospect.org/cs/articles?article=how_democrats_can_beat_mccain
"Attacks on McCain from the left, on the other hand, will have the effect of undermining that brand. The Democratic nominee, and other progressives who will be criticizing McCain, will be arguing that he is not a maverick, or a straight talker, or a particularly principled politician. They'll have an enormous amount of ammunition to make that case, and as they make it month after month, the McCain brand will be reduced to a husk of its former self.

It is hard to think of a single issue on which McCain can argue that where he wants to take the country is where the country wants to go, which is why he is not talking much about issues at all. Instead, McCain is going straight to the Atwater-Rove playbook: saying Barack Obama is supported by terrorists and going on and on about Obama's former pastor. (And if you think that is supposed to impart a message to voters other than "This guy is the kind of scary black man you're supposed to fear," then you need to familiarize yourself with the last 40 years of Republican campaigns.) "

Looks much worse when you send out the evil doers versus an old minister with just words.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 09:29:46 am »

quote:
Originally posted by FOTD

Wright is wrong to be bringing this up on a book tour but Hagee is worse and John McFlintstone's got an issue on his hands much more destructive because instead of his allegiance being for spiritual reasons his support is for votes. Not looking good for the oldster....

How Hagee's Hate Speech Encourages Violence Against Gays
By MARC MCDONALD
http://www.beggarscanbechoosers.com/2008/04/how-hagees-hate-speech-encourages_29.html

"A lot of us have been shocked and appalled by John Hagee's hate speech against gays. But the worst aspect of this hate speech is that it is precisely the sort of provocation that encourages violence against gay people."

and

http://www.prospect.org/cs/articles?article=how_democrats_can_beat_mccain
"Attacks on McCain from the left, on the other hand, will have the effect of undermining that brand. The Democratic nominee, and other progressives who will be criticizing McCain, will be arguing that he is not a maverick, or a straight talker, or a particularly principled politician. They'll have an enormous amount of ammunition to make that case, and as they make it month after month, the McCain brand will be reduced to a husk of its former self.

It is hard to think of a single issue on which McCain can argue that where he wants to take the country is where the country wants to go, which is why he is not talking much about issues at all. Instead, McCain is going straight to the Atwater-Rove playbook: saying Barack Obama is supported by terrorists and going on and on about Obama's former pastor. (And if you think that is supposed to impart a message to voters other than "This guy is the kind of scary black man you're supposed to fear," then you need to familiarize yourself with the last 40 years of Republican campaigns.) "

Looks much worse when you send out the evil doers versus an old minister with just words.

Strange?  That only seems to be making the wacko news blogs.  Must be a conspiracy or something!

FOTD
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 03:30:08 pm »

The Republicans and the media tell us the Rev. Wright story deserves huge amounts of attention because Rev. Wright was Obama's pastor.

But let's state a few facts: Obama never solicited Wright's endorsement, McCain worked hard to get Hagee's endorsement.

Obama has been asked over and over and over about Rev. Wright. Only one major media reporter, George Stephanopoulos, has asked McCain about Hagee, and even then, McCain never singled out Hagee's anti-Semitic remarks (only his anti-Catholic remarks).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 03:31:03 pm by FOTD » Logged
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 03:44:35 pm »

quote:
Obama never solicited Wright's endorsement,...  

What candidate asks his own pastor for an endorsement?

This pastor was the inspiration for the title of Obama's book, married him and his wife and baptized his kids. They were close, but not aligned politically.

Obama did the right thing by denouncing Wright.

Power is nothing till you use it.
FOTD
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 03:49:56 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by RecycleMichael

quote:

This pastor was the inspiration for the title of Obama's book, married him and his wife and baptized his kids. They were close, but not aligned politically.

Amazing how many here miss the point.

JOHN MCCAIN SOUGHT HAGEE'S ENDORSEMENT. Much worse than what Wright did. Much worse.
iplaw
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 04:06:41 pm »

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by RecycleMichael

quote:

Amazing how many here miss the point.

JOHN MCCAIN SOUGHT HAGEE'S ENDORSEMENT. Much worse than what Wright did. Much worse.

Sounds like your over-inflating Hagee just a bit.  That fat Chief Wiggum of a pastor is full of hot air, but comparing him to Wright is laughable at best.

Wright is more closely aligning himself with the nation of Islam every day, frequently quoting and echoing Louis Farrakhan, a man who called Jews "bloodsuckers."

I know it's hard to see your candidate's chances falling apart in front of your very eyes, but justifying stupid behavior by point to other stupid behavior is sophomoric.
FOTD
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 04:25:19 pm »

Who sez Obama's falling apart?

Let me guess.....the fright wing nut news agencies that you listen to and read.

McAin't gonna happen.
iplaw
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 06:02:15 pm »

Did I say McCain was going to happen?  Obama's hopes for the presidency are slipping away with every comment that nut makes.  Either your candidate has very poor judgment or he's a typical politician.  Neither is good for his chances.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org