A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:22:09 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jake Brakes allowed in Jenks??  (Read 7375 times)
safetyguy
« on: March 11, 2008, 09:14:52 am »

I live in the area of 121st and Elwood. We have dozens of tankers that drive up and down the road on a daily basis going to the Conoco Phillips fueling terminal. Our house backs up to Elwood so we hear the trucks all the time. We knew that when we built the house, but recently the trucks have gotten louder. We can almost guess before we even see the truck which company they are from. I am wondering if the trucks have installed Jake Brakes. There are also a few dump trucks that have them as well.

Does anyone know if Jenks has an ordinance regarding Jake Brakes?
inteller
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 09:23:28 am »

quote:
Originally posted by safetyguy

I live in the area of 121st and Elwood. We have dozens of tankers that drive up and down the road on a daily basis going to the Conoco Phillips fueling terminal. Our house backs up to Elwood so we hear the trucks all the time. We knew that when we built the house, but recently the trucks have gotten louder. We can almost guess before we even see the truck which company they are from. I am wondering if the trucks have installed Jake Brakes. There are also a few dump trucks that have them as well.

Does anyone know if Jenks has an ordinance regarding Jake Brakes?

well the sound of a Jake Brake is unmistakeable so there is no wondering about it, either they have or they haven't.  I seriously doubt they really needed.  I think truckers install them just so they can express their redneck assholiness.
safetyguy
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 09:52:54 am »

quote:

well the sound of a Jake Brake is unmistakeable so there is no wondering about it, either they have or they haven't.  I seriously doubt they really needed.  I think truckers install them just so they can express their redneck assholiness.

I really don't think that they are needed. I know a few redneck truckers in Ohio that love to apply the jake brake as they go through town so that people know that they are going through town.

Wilbur
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 07:35:44 pm »

I tried and couldn't find Jenk's ordinances listed online.  Not sure Jenks uses their own traffic ordinances when enforcing traffic citations.  Many smaller communities use state statute for traffic tickets.

It is my understanding jake brakes aren't necessarily installed, it is simply using the compression of the engine to slow the vehicle when the accelerator is released.

Tulsa just passed an anti-jake brake ordinance not too many years ago.  

How did I do at not answering the question?
inteller
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 05:57:36 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Wilbur

I tried and couldn't find Jenk's ordinances listed online.  Not sure Jenks uses their own traffic ordinances when enforcing traffic citations.  Many smaller communities use state statute for traffic tickets.

It is my understanding jake brakes aren't necessarily installed, it is simply using the compression of the engine to slow the vehicle when the accelerator is released.

no not true.  They are installed so that the trucker doesn't have to use his brakes as much and therefore saves on brakes.  Apparently big rigs run through brakes like water.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 06:45:46 am »

quote:

I yelled at you on boston yesterday.

Some places post signs like on 41st over by TCC-West Campus there are several signs warning about jake braking.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 06:50:55 am »

Well you are both kinda right.

Jake Brake®, or Jacobs Brake, describes a particular brand of engine brake manufactured and sold by Jacobs Vehicle Systems, Inc. While the term Jake Brake technically only describes Jake Brake brand engine brakes, it has become a genericized trademark and is often used to refer to engine brakes or compression release engine brakes in general, especially on large vehicles or heavy equipment. "Jake Brake" is a registered trademark of Jacobs Vehicle Systems, Inc. (Wiki)

Jake brakeing has become a term used to describe what most people who drive a standard transmission vehicle know as dropping the clutch to slow down.  Standard vehicles such as large trucks don't need any additional hardware to "Jake Brake."  

Diesel engines have huge amounts of compression, so the noise generated when a truck drops the clutch to slow down is significant.  Most newer trucks have the extra lobe on the camshaft necessary to "Jake Break."  

In many cases a truck with a full load is incapable coming to a safe stop without dropping the clutch.  Otherwise they will lock up a tire and can strip a tread.  It is annoying!  and there are places where it is illegal.  Trucks have to slow down significantly in places where JBK is illegal, and this has the negative affect of slowing traffic for everyone.

Most 18 wheelers don't actually have a Jake Break installed, as that they can perform the same action without any additional hardware.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 06:53:46 am by Gaspar » Logged

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
safetyguy
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 07:00:18 am »

quote:

You get an A+ for not answering my question!! [Cheesy]

I have seen at least one sign on the Creek for no Jake Brakes.

I'm guessing that Jenks doesn't have such an ordinance. I tried to send the city an email recently and the email was returned and I haven't tried to send it again.

Jake Brake or no jake brake, the trucks have gotten louder!
safetyguy
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 07:56:17 am »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080321_1_A8_hCono15376

Looks like the city of Jenks has recognized a problem with Jake Brakes.

I know that with the flooding we had this week and a portion of Elwood being washed away, we have had a lot more trucks driving by.

Once the ordinance on the books, the police will have to do their part to enforce the new rule!
Radio
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 06:14:16 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Gaspar

Well you are both kinda right.

Jake Brake®, or Jacobs Brake, describes a particular brand of engine brake manufactured and sold by Jacobs Vehicle Systems, Inc. While the term Jake Brake technically only describes Jake Brake brand engine brakes, it has become a genericized trademark and is often used to refer to engine brakes or compression release engine brakes in general, especially on large vehicles or heavy equipment. "Jake Brake" is a registered trademark of Jacobs Vehicle Systems, Inc. (Wiki)

Jake brakeing has become a term used to describe what most people who drive a standard transmission vehicle know as dropping the clutch to slow down.  Standard vehicles such as large trucks don't need any additional hardware to "Jake Brake."  

Diesel engines have huge amounts of compression, so the noise generated when a truck drops the clutch to slow down is significant.  Most newer trucks have the extra lobe on the camshaft necessary to "Jake Break."  

In many cases a truck with a full load is incapable coming to a safe stop without dropping the clutch.  Otherwise they will lock up a tire and can strip a tread.  It is annoying!  and there are places where it is illegal.  Trucks have to slow down significantly in places where JBK is illegal, and this has the negative affect of slowing traffic for everyone.

Most 18 wheelers don't actually have a Jake Break installed, as that they can perform the same action without any additional hardware.

Actually, no.  What you describe is known as... Downshifting.  Wikipedia strikes again.

Jake Brakes are engine retarders.  It most certainly is an add on.  A switch is added to the dash panel, so it can be turned off - where cities have banned them for example.  If all it
consists of is downshifting, then why do companies make them?

http://www.essortment.com/all/jakebraketruck_raio.htm

Most retarders have gotten much quieter over th e years.  

I just bought a new fire engine, and you cannot tell by noise if the retarder is on or off.  You sure can by braking power.  

I wonder if Jenks Fire complies with NFPA and has the engine retarders on thier engines?  I wonder if Jenks PD is going to fine the Fire Department?

safetyguy
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 03:13:04 pm »

[/quote]

Actually, no.  What you describe is known as... Downshifting.  Wikipedia strikes again.

Jake Brakes are engine retarders.  It most certainly is an add on.  A switch is added to the dash panel, so it can be turned off - where cities have banned them for example.  If all it
consists of is downshifting, then why do companies make them?

http://www.essortment.com/all/jakebraketruck_raio.htm

Most retarders have gotten much quieter over th e years.  

I just bought a new fire engine, and you cannot tell by noise if the retarder is on or off.  You sure can by braking power.  

I wonder if Jenks Fire complies with NFPA and has the engine retarders on thier engines?  I wonder if Jenks PD is going to fine the Fire Department?

[/quote]

Jenks PD will be looking for retards?!?!?! [Cheesy] OH, engine retarders!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org