A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:06:28 am
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Updates on Abundant Life Bldg (Tulsa Club moved to its own thread)  (Read 206115 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #240 on: March 17, 2014, 02:09:57 pm »

While I look forward to progress on the Tulsa Club building I'm still curious about the Abundant Life Building.

As I drive by it every day I've noticed more pieces have fallen off of it and the trees on the roof are getting bigger.

I really wish I had something positive to post about the site/building but I don't.

Anyone hear anything about the old Oral Roberts ministry building?

Thanks

Who actually owns it now?  I know local architect Brian Freese has proposed turning this into condos, though I imagine it would have to be easier to just tear it down. 

If you look at the Beryl Ford photos that stretch of Boulder used to be lined with mansions similar to what is left of them on Cheyenne and Denver north of 18th.  The clearing out of parts of downtown during Urban Renewal is often discussed but what happened in Riverview is just as bad. 

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #241 on: March 17, 2014, 02:20:02 pm »

Looks like Friese owns it or at least is the registered agent for it according to the Tulsa County Assessor web site.

“Boulder Green” gave a quit claim deed to "DCH Enterprises” on 12/27/12.  The following day, DCH did a quit claim to “David Horton Ministries, Inc.”

Curious if that’s a way to dodge property taxes or are churches exempt from property tax?

Assuming it’s not exempt, taxes are almost $11K per year.  That’s a lot to keep sinking into it with no activity going on. 

If anyone else cares to look it up, it’s parcel 15350-92-12-04690

http://www.assessor.tulsacounty.org/assessor-property.php

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TeeDub
« Reply #242 on: March 17, 2014, 03:46:58 pm »

Curious if that’s a way to dodge property taxes or are churches exempt from property tax?

Of course it's a tax dodge.    Why should religions have to pay taxes?   I think atheists should get a discount too.

http://law.justia.com/constitution/us/amendment-01/05-tax-exemptions-of-religious-property.html
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #243 on: March 17, 2014, 06:44:50 pm »

Of course it's a tax dodge.    Why should religions have to pay taxes?   I think atheists should get a discount too.

http://law.justia.com/constitution/us/amendment-01/05-tax-exemptions-of-religious-property.html

Atheists don't believe in discounts.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #244 on: March 18, 2014, 11:23:36 am »

Had to find Abandoned Oklahoma website for pictures of Abundant Life, I couldn't remember if the building had any windows in it. Turns out it doesn't, so if someone were to repurpose the building they would have to almost strip it completely the skeleton and rebuild it. Probably cheaper to just tear it down and build new.

http://www.abandonedok.com/abundant-life-building/#/

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #245 on: March 18, 2014, 11:35:30 am »

When Jesus is in your building there is no need to see outside
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #246 on: March 18, 2014, 11:56:37 am »

When Jesus is in your building there is no need to see outside

well unless it's the other Jesus...

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #247 on: March 18, 2014, 12:03:06 pm »

big greenhouse.

how much of the tithe goes to heat/cool that thing?
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #248 on: March 18, 2014, 12:49:21 pm »

big greenhouse.

how much of the tithe goes to heat/cool that thing?

Probably as much as the cost for cleaning the windows.
LeGenDz
Activist

« Reply #249 on: March 18, 2014, 04:11:05 pm »

Who actually owns it now?  I know local architect Brian Freese has proposed turning this into condos, though I imagine it would have to be easier to just tear it down. 

If you look at the Beryl Ford photos that stretch of Boulder used to be lined with mansions similar to what is left of them on Cheyenne and Denver north of 18th.  The clearing out of parts of downtown during Urban Renewal is often discussed but what happened in Riverview is just as bad. 

Last I remember he said he was going to strip it down to the metal. Something about not being able to get the same strength steel now-a-days as already present in the original skeleton.

TulsaGuy
Activist

« Reply #250 on: July 14, 2014, 08:51:34 am »

Tulsa Club back on the market, unfortunately it doesnt look like the redevelopment worked out for the current owner. 

Anybody have any insight as to why?  Asbestos cleanup? 

Hope someone can restore this gem of a Tulsa Building. 
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #251 on: July 14, 2014, 10:13:06 am »

I wonder if Brickhugger would be interested?  They at least have experience with similar neglected buildings and a good track record, plus deep pockets.

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #252 on: July 14, 2014, 10:15:12 am »

Very discouraging  Sad
tulsabink
Tourist

« Reply #253 on: July 14, 2014, 10:46:40 am »

This building must be saved somehow.....I no longer live in Tulsa.  Moved to Dallas years ago when Tulsa was tearing everything down and the old fart, 'no taxes for Tulsa' crowd was in its ascendancy.  Will this Bruce Goff masterpiece go the way of so many other outstanding Tulsa buildings?  There seems to be an almost suicidal bent among certain Tulsans to eradicate anything historic.  I didn't get it then and I certainly don't understand it now when almost every city in America, large and small is saving and re-purposing their downtowns.  Hopefully, as others have suggested, BrickHugger may take it on.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #254 on: July 14, 2014, 10:56:31 am »

well unless it's the other Jesus...

Crystal ComicBook Cathedral.   Drove by that place one time when in Anaheim.  Impressive, but it must cost about a billion dollars a month to keep cool...
Yeah, I know it's in Garden Grove...it was on the way....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org