A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:01:47 pm
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Updates on Abundant Life Bldg (Tulsa Club moved to its own thread)  (Read 208001 times)
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #195 on: August 28, 2012, 03:41:30 pm »

Call Rex Watkinson and tell him to find another buyer....the bankruptcy court needs to unload it. The building has negative value so the court needs to throw some cash in with the sale release.

Stupid old building. Carltonplace, you da man.

Geez, the last thing I want is for this wonderful Bruce Goff original to be demolished. I want it to regain it place in Tulsa's pantheon and be a place I can visit.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #196 on: December 20, 2012, 09:07:38 am »

Tulsa fire crews find homeless man dead in old Oral Roberts University building's elevator shaft

http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/local_news/tulsa-fire-crews-find-homeless-man-dead-in-old-oral-roberts-university-buildings-elevator-shaft

TULSA - A homeless man is dead following an accident at an abandoned building near downtown Tulsa.

According to officials, it happened shortly after 5 on Thursday morning at the old Oral Roberts University Abundant Life Building at 17th and Boulder.

Investigators told 2NEWS at the scene two homeless men got into an unlocked door in the rear of the multi-story building and one fell into an empty elevator shaft and died.

His friend walked to a nearby convenience store and called 911.

The men were apparently looking for shelter from the cold and wind.

The building has been vacant for more than a decade. 

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #197 on: December 20, 2012, 09:32:13 am »

Tulsa fire crews find homeless man dead in old Oral Roberts University building's elevator shaft

http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/local_news/tulsa-fire-crews-find-homeless-man-dead-in-old-oral-roberts-university-buildings-elevator-shaft

That is terrible. It's time for the city to demand abatement on this property. I know this place probably can't burn to the ground, but it is a hazard as it is.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #198 on: January 16, 2013, 12:44:00 pm »

Another Tulsa Club Snag

http://kwgs.com/post/another-tulsa-club-snag

More problems for the troubled Tulsa Club!  The city’s effort to sell the dilapidated downtown building has hit another snag.

The building’s owner has filed for bankruptcy which puts the city’s efforts on hold. The building was yanked off a sheriff’s sale last year after another last minute legal maneuver.

The building has been declared a public nuisance because of code violations and numerous fires.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #199 on: February 04, 2013, 01:43:15 pm »

Anyone else think this thread should've gone in an entirely different direction long ago?

It amazes me the Club building is getting closer to being surface parking and the Abundant Life is still standing and is killing people.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #200 on: February 27, 2013, 10:01:48 am »

Per Tulsa Preservation Commission FB post:

Guess who's coming to Auction?
The Tulsa Club Building is rescheduled for Sheriff's Sale on April 16th at 10:00 am. We can't wait to see this beautiful Bruce Goff building rehabbed and back in action!

Art Deco Buildings in Tulsa

Tulsa Club Building
115 East 5th Street
Built: 1927

This eleven-story building was designed by Bruce Goff. It was built through the joint effort of the Tulsa Chamber of Commerce and the Tulsa Club. The first five floors of the building were occupied by the Chamber and other business organizations while the top six floors and the roof garden were inhabited by the Tulsa Club. The Tulsa Club contained dormitory rooms on the sixth floor and a men’s lounge on the eighth floor. The club also had a gymnasium and barber shop. The club’s interior had Art Deco ornamentation including fireplace tiles. Built of Bedford stone, the original 5th Street entrance was designed with abstract detailing above the doorway.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #201 on: February 27, 2013, 12:24:38 pm »

Per Tulsa Preservation Commission FB post:

Guess who's coming to Auction?
The Tulsa Club Building is rescheduled for Sheriff's Sale on April 16th at 10:00 am. We can't wait to see this beautiful Bruce Goff building rehabbed and back in action!

Anyone been inside lately? I wonder how much is still there?

The fact that it had/has dormotories makes it seem a natural candidate for new living spaces. 
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #202 on: February 27, 2013, 01:14:58 pm »

I was in it a few years ago.  Much original flooring, trim, and accent remains.  However... much needs to be improved.  Probably more original remaining in this building than was in the Mayo Hotel.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #203 on: February 27, 2013, 01:16:20 pm »

I was in it a few years ago.  Much original flooring, trim, and accent remains.  However... much needs to be improved.  Probably more original remaining in this building than was in the Mayo Hotel.

Good news.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #204 on: February 27, 2013, 02:26:50 pm »

Good news.

Given the owner's history of playing the system, I wouldn't get too excited until the auction actually occurs.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #205 on: February 27, 2013, 06:01:05 pm »

I knew they had gotten some photos from inside.  This was from a couple of years ago, so there is no telling how much has deteriorated since then

http://www.abandonedok.com/tulsa-club-building/
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #206 on: February 28, 2013, 11:07:03 am »

I knew they had gotten some photos from inside.  This was from a couple of years ago, so there is no telling how much has deteriorated since then

http://www.abandonedok.com/tulsa-club-building/

Oh wow. It is beautiful inside. I've never seen it...thanks for posting this.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #207 on: February 28, 2013, 07:50:07 pm »

What a beautiful building that was!

Reminds me of the old Rialto and Orpheum theaters downtown.  By the time they were torn down, they were ragged a lot like this one.  This actually looks worse...

This kind of thing is exactly why I should win one of those hundred million dollar lotteries...I would start restoring that place.  But then, there are thousands of places just like it....

A magnificent source of old lead paint.  Just dissolve in some isopropyl alchohol, and I bet it could be recoated to look like new!  Plus, a convenient place for kids to chew on some paint!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #208 on: April 05, 2013, 01:52:32 pm »

This place is due to go up for Auction in two weeks (April 16th)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #209 on: April 05, 2013, 07:26:41 pm »

This place is due to go up for Auction in two weeks (April 16th)

Wonder what is actually going to happen lol. 

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org