A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 11:31:06 pm
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Updates on Abundant Life Bldg (Tulsa Club moved to its own thread)  (Read 207688 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2011, 12:42:06 pm »

So I drove by the Abundant Life building today and thought of two things.

1. My disgust
2. this thread.

Anyone hear anything recently?
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #121 on: March 16, 2011, 02:11:00 pm »

I think it needs to meet the wrecking ball.  A parking lot is better than that eyesore, and at least holds the promise of being redeveloped in the future.  Boulder would be perfect for 2-3 story townhomes.  Back in the day it looked like Cheyenne and Carson do now with large homes facing the street...

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2011, 02:12:48 pm »

Back in the day it looked like Cheyenne and Carson do now with large homes facing the street...

I know it.  I've seen the pictures.  Thanks Oral.  (place frowny face flippin' the bird here)

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #123 on: March 16, 2011, 02:26:50 pm »

I know it.  I've seen the pictures.  Thanks Oral.  (place frowny face flippin' the bird here)

Very sad...this was Boulder in area of the Abundant Life building:

And this was at 18th & Main by Boulder (now Veterans) Park where there is a parking lot now:

The area is perfect for medium density residential, and in a better location than any of the other residential areas in and around downtown due to its proximity to midtown and the river..
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 02:28:36 pm by SXSW » Logged

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #124 on: March 17, 2011, 10:53:27 am »

wow, how could anyone tear that down ^

I wonder if we'll hear that once the ALB is gone?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #125 on: March 17, 2011, 11:53:49 am »

wow, how could anyone tear that down ^

I wonder if we'll hear that once the ALB is gone?

Because developers in this town have a short attention span.  As an alternate, we could have land sprawl like OKC instead.  Not sure which is worse.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2011, 01:19:47 pm »

Developers? We had a commission form of government that was beholden to the bankers, investors, and opportunists. There's similar structure's just east of there that remain but not in good shape. Many years later, the  2300 apartment complex served the affluent. IT needs an exterior face lift. But there's not much chance of that because at the time it was built the code no doubt left it to some committee which later went away. Time marches on.

I think we have land sprawl here. It's called the burbs.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #127 on: March 17, 2011, 01:23:22 pm »

Developers? We had a commission form of government that was beholden to the bankers, investors, and opportunists. There's similar structure's just east of there that remain but not in good shape. Many years later, the  2300 apartment complex served the affluent. IT needs an exterior face lift. But there's not much chance of that because at the time it was built the code no doubt left it to some committee which later went away. Time marches on.

I think we have land sprawl here. It's called the burbs.

But not on near the scale of OK Shitty, would you agree?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2011, 02:24:11 pm »

But not on near the scale of OK Shitty, would you agree?

Not even close, anywhere Tulsa is 20 minutes tops. I heard this once, but I forget the the contirbutor: "Oklahoma City is so flat and barren you can watch your dog run away all day".
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #129 on: March 17, 2011, 04:12:08 pm »

The 18th/21st & Boston area still has a lot of those apartment buildings.  The area was once a dense residential neighborhoodand and can be again.  It's a blank slate, just parking lots at 18th & Boulder/Main.  

If there is any location in Tulsa that makes the most sense for new urban apartments and townhomes it's that area, IMO.  There is an existing restaurant/nightlife district at 18th & Boston that is within walking distance.  One of the nicest neighborhoods in the city is to the east and south (Maple Ridge), with another great neighborhood just to the west (Riverview).  The riverfront is a few blocks away, downtown is just to the north, Cherry Street and Brookside are close by.  
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 04:15:20 pm by SXSW » Logged

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2011, 05:10:27 pm »

Not even close, anywhere Tulsa is 20 minutes tops.

Certain times and corridors I still allow 30 to 40 min.

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2011, 06:47:35 pm »

Not even close, anywhere Tulsa is 20 minutes tops. I heard this once, but I forget the the contirbutor: "Oklahoma City is so flat and barren you can watch your dog run away all day".
Leaving at a non-high-traffic time it takes me anywhere from 25-30 mins to get to work in the morning.  Of course I do live several miles from the nearest highway, in virtually every direction, and I apparently managed to tick off a gypsy somewhere down the line that cursed me to hit 90% of all traffic lights red.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #132 on: March 18, 2011, 08:13:44 am »

I apparently managed to tick off a gypsy somewhere down the line that cursed me to hit 90% of all traffic lights red.

Cheesy

Of course you realize "gypsy" is now considered an ethnic slur.  Roll Eyes

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #133 on: March 18, 2011, 08:17:22 am »

Of course you realize "gypsy" is now considered an ethnic slur.

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/spain/gypsies.htm

Both the English word "Gypsy" and its Spanish counterpart, gitano, come from the word "Egypt" — where Europeans used to think these nomadic people originated. Today, as we've come to understand that "Gypsies" actually came from India — and as the term "Gypsy" has acquired negative connotations — the preferred term is "Roma." After migrating from India in the 14th century, the Roma people settled mostly in the Muslim-occupied lands in the south (such as the Balkan Peninsula, then controlled by the Ottoman Turks). Under the Muslims, the Roma enjoyed relative tolerance. They were traditionally good with crafts and animals.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2011, 09:52:55 am »

Cheesy

Of course you realize "gypsy" is now considered an ethnic slur.  Roll Eyes
Might explain how I ticked em off than
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org