A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:36:40 am
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Surveillance Cameras To Scan License Plates  (Read 152513 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #150 on: February 02, 2018, 07:04:52 pm »

In other states the dangling carrot of mission creep has lept to claims of finding terrorists and pedophiles. 

Found him!    1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Congress is investigating USA Gymnastics.  Will likely soon investigate USA Swimming (same reason).   When are they gonna investigate USA Pedophile in Chief ??

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #151 on: February 02, 2018, 09:30:17 pm »

Whats law:

S.B. 359  Signed by Governor. Chap. 365
Relates to uninsured motorists; creates the Uninsured Vehicle Enforcement Program; provides the Program shall be implemented and administered by the district attorneys; allows participating agencies to use automatic license plate reader systems; creates a central database; creates an exemption relating to Oklahoma Open Records Act; requires a report; creates an Uninsured Vehicle Enforcement Diversion Program; creates a fund; requires a report; provides an effective date.

What lobbyists killed:

S.B. 1144  Status: Failed - Adjourned.
Relates to license plates; creates the "Automatic License Plate Reader Privacy Act"; provides definitions; prohibits certain use of automatic license plate reader systems; provides exceptions to restrictions; prescribes certain preservation and access; stipulates reporting requirements; requires certain compliance; defines penalties; requires certain privacy; States certain severability; provides for codification; provides an effective date.

Emphasis mine. Experience has taught us that any government moving around millions of dollars without public accountability ultimately ends in scandal.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #152 on: February 16, 2018, 08:34:37 pm »

ICE has contracted with Vigilant Solutions, a company that helps law enforcement agencies track license plates on cars in real time. Russell Brandom, who reported the story for The Verge, says police departments mount cameras on their cars or in fixed locations to read license plates. Those numbers are then cross-checked with databases to see if a car has been stolen or if the owner has an active warrant or expired license.

Brandom says municipalities have different agreements with Vigilant. But many have agreed to let the company service the cameras at a discount or for free in exchange for feeding data back to the company.

“It really is this sort of nationwide surveillance network that's been built up privately outside of the reach of a lot of the safeguards that would normally exist if ICE had built this database itself or if we were getting it, sort of, from federal agency,” Brandom says.

ICE could tap into Vigilant’s database, search for a specific license plate and see where it’s been. ICE could also potentially enter a license plate into a “hot list,” so that the agency would be alerted if the plate was spotted, says Brandom.

“You have ICE becoming much more aggressive and much less targeted and, sort of, coherent,” Brandom says. “And I think when you have that being mediated by a private corporation, it gets even more complicated.”

https://www.pri.org/stories/2018-02-16/no-immigration-bill-feds-ink-contract-monitor-license-plates

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
TeeDub
« Reply #153 on: February 17, 2018, 11:24:56 am »

A couple of questions....

Would you rather have spent millions and millions of taxpayer dollars to deploy a duplicate system?

Will you have the same problem when (not if) Facebook/Google/Uber contract with the PRIVATE COMPANY to get the data for mining?  Or just because ICE is using it that you have issues.   

What if ICE is excluded but the FBI/NSA/EPA/FAA/whoever is allowed...   Does that make it better?

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #154 on: May 31, 2018, 12:56:09 pm »

Went to eat at The Brook the other night when an old black surplus detective car starts snaking thru the parking lot.
The woman driving wasnt paying attention to the unbelted kid playing in the back seat, probably because she was busy with her Automatic License Plate Reader.  Im guessing she was trolling ahead of a towtruck looking for repo opportunities.

If anyone tells you this mass-surveillance technology is under control and wont be abused, they are lying.
I didnt get a picture fast enough, but imagine this example with some bad spraypainting:

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 01:08:03 pm by patric » Logged

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #155 on: May 31, 2018, 01:56:52 pm »

Went to eat at The Brook the other night when an old black surplus detective car starts snaking thru the parking lot.
The woman driving wasnt paying attention to the unbelted kid playing in the back seat, probably because she was busy with her Automatic License Plate Reader.  Im guessing she was trolling ahead of a towtruck looking for repo opportunities.

If anyone tells you this mass-surveillance technology is under control and wont be abused, they are lying.
I didnt get a picture fast enough, but imagine this example with some bad spraypainting:

O my bucking gawd...Did they surveil any speed humps....Huh

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #156 on: May 31, 2018, 02:52:47 pm »

My son is a patrolman with a local security company. He's had both positive and negative interactions with these repo guys. They're not supposed to use license plate scanners on private property without permission, though they often do. Son has run them off for that reason, though one of them wanted to dispute the fact in a physical manner. A collapsible baton to the knee ended it. Two nights later the same guy got a dose of pepper spray and became an overnight guest of TPD.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
TeeDub
« Reply #157 on: May 31, 2018, 03:52:33 pm »

Seems silly that people would try to get back property that is legally theirs.   Who the hell do they think they are?
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #158 on: May 31, 2018, 07:41:51 pm »

My son is a patrolman with a local security company. He's had both positive and negative interactions with these repo guys. They're not supposed to use license plate scanners on private property without permission, though they often do. Son has run them off for that reason, though one of them wanted to dispute the fact in a physical manner. A collapsible baton to the knee ended it. Two nights later the same guy got a dose of pepper spray and became an overnight guest of TPD.

Lol...Jesus wept...

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #159 on: May 31, 2018, 07:46:02 pm »

Poor attempt to deflect a conversation about mass surveillance.

LOL...You are on the internet and your worried about mass surveillance...Huh

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #160 on: May 31, 2018, 07:51:17 pm »

Lol...Jesus wept...

THIS IS YOUR LAST WARNING. I had to edit one of your posts yesterday as well. Comments that add nothing but vulgarity is over what has been a very broad line. If you don't understand, message me. You will not be warned again.

« Last Edit: Today at 04:02:54 pm by Moderator »

Someones way overdue for a Laura Ingraham-style pre-planned vacation.

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #161 on: May 31, 2018, 08:29:55 pm »

Someones way overdue for a Laura Ingraham-style pre-planned vacation.

I'm freaking out over speed humps....LOL...!!

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #162 on: May 31, 2018, 08:31:03 pm »

I'm freaking out over speed humps....LOL...!!

So triggered. Having a rough week?
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #163 on: May 31, 2018, 08:34:53 pm »

So triggered. Having a rough week?

Lol..You have been having a rough year and a half...

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #164 on: October 03, 2018, 11:35:43 am »

The next time you drive past one of those road signs with a digital readout showing how fast you’re going, don’t simply assume it’s there to remind you not to speed. It may actually be capturing your license plate data.
https://qz.com/1400791/that-road-sign-telling-you-how-fast-youre-driving-may-be-part-of-a-us-government-surveillance-network/

https://ktul.com/news/local/legal-troubles-surround-license-plate-scanning-company

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org