A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:47:04 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Surveillance Cameras To Scan License Plates  (Read 152555 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2009, 10:52:29 pm »

You know how in that CSI show, they can take really grainy surveillance camera and enhance it to some super sharp detail? Well, they made all that up, and I am pretty sure there is nothing that will be able to scan that tiny barcode from a distance of over 8 ft; well, not in Oklahoma anyway.

I'm sure the technology is available but I agree with the Oklahoma assessment.  For now, a sharpie (actually a bluntie) it is.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2009, 02:01:45 am »

You know how in that CSI show, they can take really grainy surveillance camera and enhance it to some super sharp detail? Well, they made all that up, and I am pretty sure there is nothing that will be able to scan that tiny barcode from a distance of over 8 ft; well, not in Oklahoma anyway.

It's not just that; at the angle you'd have to get the barcode from, even if you didn't have a tag frame, would rely on the camera being mounted nearly at ground level with the bevel of the tag around the margin being so severe.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2009, 11:32:56 am »

It's not just that; at the angle you'd have to get the barcode from, even if you didn't have a tag frame, would rely on the camera being mounted nearly at ground level with the bevel of the tag around the margin being so severe.

And yet the Department of Public Safety is installing 200 cameras (for starters) specifically to scan the new tags.
My guess is the barcodes are for hand-held equipment, while the highway scanners read the numbers on the tag.
Either way, Im a bit concerned that the agency that oversees an impeccable outfit like the OHP might not be completely upfront as to the breadth and purpose of the huge surveillance database they intend to amass.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2009, 01:26:54 pm »

OCR with tags is quite common...

that bar code probably just tells what inmate "stamped" it..  Smiley

not sure about OK, but in many states squad car cameras routinely scan any tags that pass in front of the camera...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_number_plate_recognition
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2009, 07:30:16 am »

What I don't get is why do we need 200 cameras to see what license plates are on the roads.. do we not issue them?
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2009, 10:13:58 am »

What I don't get is why do we need 200 cameras to see what license plates are on the roads.. do we not issue them?

Bingo.
From BkDotCom's link:
"Automatic Number Plate Recognition is a mass surveillance method that uses optical character recognition on images to read the license plates on vehicles."

An example of how it's used:
"The UK has an extensive automatic number plate recognition CCTV network. Effectively, the police and Security services track all car movements around the country and are able to track any car in close to real time. Vehicle movements are stored for 5 years in the National ANPR Data Centre to be analyzed for intelligence and to be used as evidence.
In 1997 a system of one hundred ANPR cameras, codenamed GLUTTON, was installed to feed into the automated British Military Intelligence Systems in Northern Ireland."

And lastly:
"There are numerous other electronic toll collection networks which use this combination of Radio Frequency identification and ANPR. These include:
    * Pike Pass in Oklahoma."

My take is that DPS is counting on us to surrender some of our freedoms for the illusion of safety, in this case, letting them catalog our daily vehicle usage in exchange for the promise of being safe from uninsured motorists.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2009, 12:34:33 pm »

Ian Flemming gave James Bond rotating license plates a long time ago.  (Either I.F. or the movie industry.)

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2009, 01:22:18 pm »

Bingo.
From BkDotCom's link:
"Automatic Number Plate Recognition is a mass surveillance method that uses optical character recognition on images to read the license plates on vehicles."

An example of how it's used:
"The UK has an extensive automatic number plate recognition CCTV network. Effectively, the police and Security services track all car movements around the country and are able to track any car in close to real time. Vehicle movements are stored for 5 years in the National ANPR Data Centre to be analyzed for intelligence and to be used as evidence.
In 1997 a system of one hundred ANPR cameras, codenamed GLUTTON, was installed to feed into the automated British Military Intelligence Systems in Northern Ireland."

And lastly:
"There are numerous other electronic toll collection networks which use this combination of Radio Frequency identification and ANPR. These include:
    * Pike Pass in Oklahoma."

My take is that DPS is counting on us to surrender some of our freedoms for the illusion of safety, in this case, letting them catalog our daily vehicle usage in exchange for the promise of being safe from uninsured motorists.

That didn't address my comment. It's like saying we need to by high tech cameras to read a book we wrote to see what it says. We know what plates are issued, renewed, etc. Why put out a camera to see what license plates are in use when we issue them? We already know!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2009, 02:33:34 pm »

Ian Flemming gave James Bond rotating license plates a long time ago.  (Either I.F. or the movie industry.)

Did they put bar codes on each side?  Tongue

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2009, 06:31:22 pm »

That didn't address my comment. It's like saying we need to by high tech cameras to read a book we wrote to see what it says. We know what plates are issued, renewed, etc. Why put out a camera to see what license plates are in use when we issue them? We already know!

Its probably not just about what license plates are in use but, where the vehicle is and when it was where it was (might be helpful in an Amber Alert situation for instance), is this license legal, does this vehicle have insurance, etc.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2009, 10:48:17 pm »

Did they put bar codes on each side?  Tongue

Yep, a small picture of a vodka martini.

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2009, 03:19:10 pm »

“I would gladly give up my privacy for national security—that’s why I don’t mind that Google street view that caught me fighting a raccoon over a Tasty Kake wrapper.”

* fighting a raccoon over a Tasty Kake wrapper.jpg (42.23 KB - downloaded 553 times.)

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2010, 01:11:48 pm »

Forget catching "uninsured motorists", unpaid tickets and data mining is where the cash is at.
Competing manufacturers like Motorola, CitySync, ELSAG, ADT and PIPS will even loan cities the expensive equipment for a cut of the revenue.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrrZSjmObWg[/youtube]

You can even create your own database to watch, like "cars driven by Tulsa World employees" or "cars that park at family planning clinics".  The sky's the limit.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2010, 11:07:35 pm »

Forget catching "uninsured motorists", unpaid tickets and data mining is where the cash is at.
Competing manufacturers like Motorola, CitySync, ELSAG, ADT and PIPS will even loan cities the expensive equipment for a cut of the revenue.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrrZSjmObWg[/youtube]

You can even create your own database to watch, like "cars driven by Tulsa World employees" or "cars that park at family planning clinics".  The sky's the limit.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.    Grin

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2010, 11:21:53 am »

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.    Grin

What adds so much to the cloak-and-dagger is that approval for DPS to begin was done by Governors Executive Order during the Christmas break. 
The legislature exempted the records from the Open Records Act, so theres no accountability or public paper trail.

What happened to all that government transparency?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org