A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:22:43 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yet another reason NOT to shop at Walmart  (Read 7569 times)
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« on: March 18, 2008, 12:20:12 pm »

I hardly ever shop at Walmart, but today I was in the vicinity and needed some stuff, so I dropped into the store down by ORU.  The main thing on my list was allergy medicine with decongestant (the kind you have to buy at the pharmacy b/c people use them to make meth).  So I bought my $20 worth of Clariton-D, put the bag in my cart and went shopping for some shampoo, toothpaste, etc.

Without thinking, I left my cart at the end of an aisle, and then started browsing down the row.  When I came back for my cart, it was gone...along with my $20 of meds.

Now, I have been known to drive off with someone else's cart before on accident.  I know that honest mistakes can happen.  So I started trotting around the area looking for my cart.  No go.  I then looked over the entire store for my basket.  Didn't see it.  I went back to the pharmacy to ask what they could do, and they said: "Wow, that's the third time that's happened lately..." (And of course: "There's nothing we can do about it.  We can't sell you more Clariton.")

So basically, there are some jerks who hang out at Walmart, waiting to steal your prescription drugs after you've paid for them at the pharmacy counter.  Nice little scam, eh?

The annoying thing is that I didn't even want a cart.  I wanted one of those little hand-held baskets, but couldn't find one anywhere.  So I just grabbed a cart....which is so large, I didn't want to drive it down the aisle and create a bottleneck...So I left it at the end of the row....

Guess that's my excuse for being a sucker.  It certainly never occurred to me that someone would steal an over-the-counter drug out of my basket.  Just another one of those "thousand points of darkness" experiences to brighten a rainy day.  Not.
cks511
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 12:34:55 pm »

That Walmart also has an elderly lady asking for money or food.  One time I gave her a bag of chips, then sat in my car and watched her 'work' the lot.  In about half an hour she loaded into a truck with lots and lots of stuff.  A friend of mine had an attempted purse snatch there.  I just never visit that store nor any Wal-Mart due to those experiences unless it's an emergency stop. Sorry you had it happen to you.
NellieBly
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 12:46:08 pm »

I put my drugs right in my purse immediately after purchase. Your Claritan is probably already meth.[Smiley]
unknown
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 12:46:59 pm »

How was this Wal-Mart's fault? Sounds like you are pissed over your own ignorance... could have left the meds at the counter and grabbed them on your way out or put them in your pocket. Now is that location a prime area of scum... yes, but Wal-Mart has no control of that.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 12:48:19 pm »

As a part owner of WalMart (WMT) please accept my apology.  This is part of our grand plan to make more money.   We actually encourage thieves to hand out because it profits us.  That's why it's WalMart's fault.  [Tongue]

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 01:26:39 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by unknown

How was this Wal-Mart's fault? Sounds like you are pissed over your own ignorance... could have left the meds at the counter and grabbed them on your way out or put them in your pocket. Now is that location a prime area of scum... yes, but Wal-Mart has no control of that.

yet another reason why you should have some common sense! How in the heck is this Walmart's fault in any way, shape, or form?  You are the one who left the cart unattended.  And how would you not notice someone taking your cart? Don't blame anyone but yourself for your stupidity.  As Colin Cowherd likes to say, "thats a you problem".

"You cant solve Stupid." 
"I don't do sorry, sorry is for criminals and screw ups."
citizen72
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 01:36:07 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TUalum0982

quote:
Originally posted by unknown

yet another reason why you should have some common sense! How in the heck is this Walmart's fault in any way, shape, or form?  You are the one who left the cart unattended.  And how would you not notice someone taking your cart? Don't blame anyone but yourself for your stupidity.  As Colin Cowherd likes to say, "thats a you problem".

Just do not understand how one can call another person stupid. Perhaps a lapse of attentiveness, but stupid? That is a little harsh.

^^^^^

"Never a skillful sailor made who always sailed calm seas."
safetyguy
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 01:36:59 pm »

It amazes me how many females leave their purse unattended in their cart. $20 worth of Claritin compared to potentially having your identity stolen/sold.
cks511
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 01:39:48 pm »

That's the FREAKIN problem...that you are made to feel like a sucker because of criminal activity inside and out. AND, that you have to have a swat team mind-set to go into that place.  Not acceptable.  Now let me just crawl back into my turret mounted HUMVEE and patrol on down the road.[Cheesy]
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 01:40:49 pm by cks511 » Logged
grahambino
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 02:07:14 pm »

So...
let me get this straight...
Wal*Mart has no obligation to provide for a safe shopping experience for their customers?  

Youre going down an aisle and the leaning tower of barbecue grills just fell on your head & now you're concussed.  'Well if you weren't so stupid, you wouldn't have went down that aisle.  Oh your skull isn't strong enough to withstand 4 barbecue grills falling on your head?  That's a YOU problem!'

There is a problem, seemingly acknowledged by the pharmacist, yet nothing has been done?

I find it hard to believe that there aren't cameras trained on every aisle of that store?

Now, I do think that PonderInc should go to the manager and report this activity, get the pharmacists' name that said this has happened other times and go from there and hopefully this activity would be stopped.
unknown
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 02:13:36 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by citizen72
Just do not understand how one can call another person stupid. Perhaps a lapse of attentiveness, but stupid? That is a little harsh.

I would agree, but not when you believe it is the stores fault for your lack of attentiveness…. How bout absentminded?

quote:
Originally posted by grahambino

So...
Wal*Mart has no obligation to provide for a safe shopping experience for their customers?

The only thing I could see Wal-Mart to do is to beef up security(yea right) or they could not let absentminded people run off with their meds while they are shopping.... I don't know what else you expect them to do? he left his cart alone... it isn't Wal-Marts fault that people suck.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 02:38:37 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by grahambino

So...

Youre going down an aisle and the leaning tower of barbecue grills just fell on your head & now you're concussed.  'Well if you weren't so stupid, you wouldn't have went down that aisle.  Oh your skull isn't strong enough to withstand 4 barbecue grills falling on your head?  That's a YOU problem!'

There is a problem, seemingly acknowledged by the pharmacist, yet nothing has been done?

I find it hard to believe that there aren't cameras trained on every aisle of that store?

Now, I do think that PonderInc should go to the manager and report this activity, get the pharmacists' name that said this has happened other times and go from there and hopefully this activity would be stopped.

Monitoring every aisle would be a pretty expensive proposition.  In order to do that, it takes more than one person watching a bank of monitors.  Multiply that by 3000 stores or so and they would no longer be the discount leader.

People calling another poster stupid is a stretch.  It could easily have happened to anyone.  I never think twice when I leave my cart for a minute or so.  I think all shoppers figure no one is interested in the contents of their cart.

I'm sorry this happened to Ponder, and I appreciate that she posted this as a warning to others.  I don't think this would be limited to Wal-Mart if you ask around.  Expect it anywhere with a pharmacy.

Tweakers don't have a conscience.  [V]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dsjeffries
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 02:48:07 pm »

Maybe it's just the Skiatook store, but there, if you get a prescription and happen to walk out without paying, they know it.  Your name and number are attached to prescriptions and you'll get a phone call.  I know this wasn't a prescription, so it's a whole different case.

Couldn't you have bought the meds at the regular checkout counter instead of paying for it at the pharmacy?  At least it would prevent your paid-for items from being taken.

And I personally don't see this as a reason to not shop at Wal-Mart.  That kind of thing can and will happen at any store in a location such as the 81st & Lewis store, regardless of whether it's a Wal-Mart, Target or Reasor's.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 02:49:22 pm by dsjeffries » Logged
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 02:57:22 pm »

Yes, I generally expect people to be honest.  Call that stupid, if you like.  

I'm not trying to "blame" anyone but the person who stole my stuff...just frustrated that they did.

However, if someone had stolen my purse, rather than my purchased items, would you have a different opinion of the store's responsibility?  What if there were a trend of repeated purse snatching?  Would you expect Walmart to try to provide a crime-free shopping environment?  

Remember that the crime is not letting down your guard.  The crime is stealing something that is obviously not yours.

Having said that, I don't know just exactly what I expected Walmart to do.  Some sort of appology would have been nice.  When the pharmacy workers were trying to decide which manager to call, they were saying things like: "Don't call x, he won't care.  Call y, she might help..."

It's not the first time I've learned that the folks who work at Walmart have absolutely no authority to make customer service decisions for themselves.  Everyone just has to shrug and say "Sorry.  There's nothing I can do."  Which is one of the reasons I don't like Walmart in the fist place: everyone's just a number.  Employees and customers alike.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 02:58:24 pm »

If he think this is the store's negligence... then sue them for it.  He will of course lose.  Because the store has no duty to protect the property of patrons from other patrons.  

It DOES have a duty to provide a safe shopping environment as far as slippery floors, poorly stacked items, and the like.  HUGE, HUGE difference between negligently stacking grills and not having a baby sitter watching every shoppers items.

It sucks that he had $20 worth of stuff stolen.  But that can and has happened many, many different places.  It is your duty to watch your possessions, no one else's.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org