A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 10:30:07 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tours of Art Deco landmarks  (Read 2888 times)
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« on: January 22, 2008, 05:57:17 pm »

In Miami, people go on tours of the Art Deco architecture.  In Tulsa, we tear down our Art Deco and other historic buildings.  (Did you know that 50% of our Art Deco buildings have already been torn down?!)

Here's the article from USA Today about Miami:
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destinations/2008-01-14-miami-art-deco-tours_N.htm

I especially like the idea of cell phone and podcast tours.  We could totally do that.  Tulsa could offer a map of significant buildings, along with a website to download the podcast.  Then you could listen to the audio as you walked or drove around town.

Here's my favorite quote from the article:
"I think the important aspect to our community is architecture and preservation," said George Neary, associate vice president of tourism at the Greater Miami Convention and Visitors Bureau. "You've got this whole era of architecture and design that Miami has become more famous for."

I'm always shocked that Tulsans aren't more aware and proud of our architecture.  Glad to see the "heritage travel" thing is working out for Miami.
mr.jaynes
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 10:03:46 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PonderInc

In Miami, people go on tours of the Art Deco architecture.  In Tulsa, we tear down our Art Deco and other historic buildings.  (Did you know that 50% of our Art Deco buildings have already been torn down?!)

Here's the article from USA Today about Miami:
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destinations/2008-01-14-miami-art-deco-tours_N.htm

I especially like the idea of cell phone and podcast tours.  We could totally do that.  Tulsa could offer a map of significant buildings, along with a website to download the podcast.  Then you could listen to the audio as you walked or drove around town.

Here's my favorite quote from the article:
"I think the important aspect to our community is architecture and preservation," said George Neary, associate vice president of tourism at the Greater Miami Convention and Visitors Bureau. "You've got this whole era of architecture and design that Miami has become more famous for."

I'm always shocked that Tulsans aren't more aware and proud of our architecture.  Glad to see the "heritage travel" thing is working out for Miami.

I'd attended a couple of industry shows in Miami, went in a day early and left a day after just to take in the ambience of Miami and South Beach. The deco is breathtaking, as is the rest of the area!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 09:04:58 am »

There used to be some foot tours of downtown Tulsa back in the late '80's or early '90's.  I think it was a DTU thing or I might just be confusing it with a Humanities course tour I took at TCC one time.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 09:49:44 am »

The book "Footsteps Through Tulsa" was a cool way of looking around downtown.

A written tour you could walk around with.

Not sure how dated it is, was a 1995 release.

hoodlum
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 03:09:43 pm »

visit the TFA for information concerning Tulsa Art Deco tours.

www.tulsaarchitecture.com
hoodlum
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 03:15:59 pm »

as a member of the board we need members to join and volunteer to help us promote the architecture of our city.
Send the TFA e-mails about the article on Miami, let them know that you want to see a yearly Art Deco tour of downtown, it will happen. Ask to visit the archives where you can personally go through the drawings and renderings of some of Tulsas architectural treasures. Finally become a memember and come to the board meetings, propose architectural events and become involved firsthand in the preservation of our built environment.
cole
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 10:57:47 pm »

Good suggestions, hoodlum. I personally would be very interested in the mentioned tours. We must embrace our uniqueness as a city. We are fortunate that we have some very interesting architectural sights.

Additionally, I'd love to see something along the lines of a modern tour. Would others out there be interested in learning more about the great mid-century modern architecture around Tulsa?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 05:15:21 am »

A podcast tour would be very doable.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 06:52:35 am »

I finally located a copy of my spreadsheet with 60 of Tulsa's Art Deco landmarks.  If any are interested, contact me via email and I'll send you a copy.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
TeeDub
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 08:49:08 am »

You might want to talk to people that already do tours.
http://www.bandanatours.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org