A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:30:04 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Highway Lighting Costs  (Read 30956 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2017, 08:57:45 pm »

My guess is that it gets really dark with a new moon.  Can you see the Milky Way?  (Not the candy bar.)

Absolutely, very, very clear here.  We don't know what light pollution is.  Last night was one of those nights.  We get the biggest kick out of telling the story about telling my wife's dad it was a Milky Way night when we came home from dinner one night.  He looked up and said: "I can't see it, there's a band of clouds in the way..."  "Uh Dad..."

It would be a photographer's dream out here.  One of these days I might spring for some good photo equipment or just wait until I can find a talented photographer who wants to do some trade out in exchange for a few nights lodging.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2017, 12:23:43 pm »

That's a sign of old age, Townie.

Shhhheeeeeeeeeiiiiiiit - don't need that sign to remind me
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2017, 08:37:49 pm »

All I have to do is leave home and drive in any direction out of our village to see why we don't need highway lighting.  There are some full moon nights you could almost drive with no lights at all.

When its overcast you could almost do the same thing in Tulsa... from the light reflected off the clouds  Grin

Its been drizzling for a couple days now; bonus points to those who noticed the reflection from the lights on the wet pavement obscures some lane markings.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2018, 01:46:42 pm »

When its overcast you could almost do the same thing in Tulsa... from the light reflected off the clouds  Grin

Its been drizzling for a couple days now; bonus points to those who noticed the reflection from the lights on the wet pavement obscures some lane markings.

Lane markings on the IDL and other local highways are done with non-reflective, thin, spray paint that aren't visible except in the prefect lighting conditions. Well, where they haven't been worn off like in the NW corner of the IDL.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2018, 03:27:53 pm »

Lane markings on the IDL and other local highways are done with non-reflective, thin, spray paint that aren't visible except in the prefect lighting conditions. Well, where they haven't been worn off like in the NW corner of the IDL.

Retro-reflective (reflects light from the direction it came) paint is federally mandated, so there might be a problem with that.
Its not designed to reflect light from streetlights but rather from automobiles, so it can be used where there are no streetlights (90% of highways).

Tulsa is way behind in lane markings (expressways especially in need), so I concur with your statement.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2018, 04:39:29 pm »

Should not be non-reflective.   

Worn down is another problem that this state chooses willfully to ignore.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2018, 10:35:51 am »

Retro-reflective (reflects light from the direction it came) paint is federally mandated, so there might be a problem with that.
Its not designed to reflect light from streetlights but rather from automobiles, so it can be used where there are no streetlights (90% of highways).

Tulsa is way behind in lane markings (expressways especially in need), so I concur with your statement.

The standard used to be a thick layer that had some level of reflectivity but several streets in and around Tulsa have had a very thin layer put down recently with white/black alternating to provide contrast but it only lasts about a year and is nearly impossible to see in the rain.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2018, 04:53:47 pm »

The standard used to be a thick layer that had some level of reflectivity but several streets in and around Tulsa have had a very thin layer put down recently with white/black alternating to provide contrast but it only lasts about a year and is nearly impossible to see in the rain.

Alternating black-white striping is on state/interstate but ive never seen it on city streets.  The purpose is to compensate for reverse-contrast where a white line might appear in silhouette.  Rain can obscure painted markings (even retro-reflective paint) and street lighting can actually make the problem worse when the lights reflect off the wet streets.

The answer has been RPMs (Raised Pavement Markers) that rise above the rainwater coating but they dont play well with snow plows.

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2018, 05:54:25 pm »

Now that the lights are coming back on, pedestrians are treating expressways like city streets again it would seem.
Im aware of at least three auto-peds in as many weeks... people betting their lives that the streetlights will protect them as they stroll across 60-70mph traffic.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/state-troopers-seeking-public-help-to-locate-vehicle-involved-in/article_3552410e-c314-5440-959c-4c34c895861b.html

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2018, 09:10:12 am »

The answer has been RPMs (Raised Pavement Markers) that rise above the rainwater coating but they dont play well with snow plows.

Saw some 1954 versions of those on the Mother Road a couple weeks ago.  Took a ride and saw some of the old road with those markers.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2018, 01:12:20 pm »

Tulsans paid $10 Million to fix the expressway lights that gave them the illusion of safety.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/update-pedestrian-killed-by-suv-on-inner-dispersal-loop-was/article_3ed69db5-837d-55bb-8323-f89e1c424be5.html

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2018, 12:57:29 pm »

The Whirled's photos show a fully-functional set of streetlights at the site of this fatal accident.

Some experts in highway lighting say recent research suggests a brighter highway is not necessarily safer.

A member of the national Transportation Research Board's Committee on Visibility said lighting has been shown to cut the number of crashes at "conflict points" where traffic comes together. But between those points, he said, "there really wasn't a large relationship between lighting and reduction in crashes."

https://www.baltimoresun.com/features/bs-xpm-2011-01-25-bs-md-highway-lighting-20110124-story.html
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 01:02:57 pm by patric » Logged

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2019, 10:33:30 pm »

This on top of the $10 Million?

TULSA, Oklahoma - Despite millions of dollars spent to fix highway lights in Tulsa, hundreds of them are currently dark, waiting for repairs to electrical cables, replacement of fuses, or poles.

At the same time, a major repair project on the inner dispersal loop is wrapping up as the city comes to the end of $5.8 million dollar push to get  the lights on.

The problem was mainly people stealing copper wiring a few years ago and now it's a backlog of routine maintenance. The City says vandalism cases  dropped substantially once workers started using aluminum wire, installed inside more secure conduit and junction boxes.

Now the problem is more routine: blown fuses and downed poles, or outages caused by aging equipment. "We have lots of cars that run off the road and poles seem to be the thing that everybody hits," says Terry Ball, the supervisor in the Streets Department who oversees the repairs. "When we have storms come through, they'll knock out sections, blow a fuse and take a circuit out."

The city says some old lights are rusting out, and funding for replacements usually comes only with large highway projects.

http://www.newson6.com/story/39961248/dollar58-million-spent-on-highway-light-repairs-in-tulsa-over-4-years

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2019, 12:17:27 am »

Personally, I think it's more people in Oklahoma don't know how to drive. I won't claim that people out here in the west are the best drivers, but after my trip to Tulsa for my fathers funeral in November 2017 and spending a week driving in Tulsa, I was never so ready to get back to the west for dealing with drivers. I've driven in Mexico, Phoenix, Tucson, San Diego, LA, San Francisco, as well as most all of CA, AZ, and OR and yeah the traffic is bad, the drivers are so much better regardless of whether there's highway lights or not.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2019, 09:36:45 am »

Personally, I think it's more people in Oklahoma don't know how to drive. I won't claim that people out here in the west are the best drivers, but after my trip to Tulsa for my fathers funeral in November 2017 and spending a week driving in Tulsa, I was never so ready to get back to the west for dealing with drivers. I've driven in Mexico, Phoenix, Tucson, San Diego, LA, San Francisco, as well as most all of CA, AZ, and OR and yeah the traffic is bad, the drivers are so much better regardless of whether there's highway lights or not.

Yep, one thing I don't miss about Tulsa is the traffic and the drivers.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org