A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:50:12 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rep. Kern's Statements  (Read 60310 times)
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 09:19:31 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by FOTD

quote:
Originally posted by Cubs

It's people like Kern that keep me loving the state of Oklahoma. We have some of the best representatives of any state (including Inhofe and Coburn).  
I'd vote for Ms. Kern anyday ... she speaks the truth!

You are an imbecile despite your moniker.

You're more than qualified to make that judgement......

rwarn17588
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 01:00:20 am »

Whether you think homosexuality is a moral or not is besides the point in this discussion.

What p*sses people off is that Kern is saying that homosexuality is a bigger threat to America than terrorism.

Really? I don't remember homosexuals blowing gigantic holes in Navy ships, sending anthrax through the mail, or crashing jets into skyscrapers.

Whoever thinks homosexuality is a bigger threat to our nation than terrorism is a prime candidate for the loony bin.

And, yes, that includes Rep. Kern.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 08:02:12 am »

quote:

quote:
Please tell me you're kidding.

Not at all .... I care much more about being biblically correct than politically correct.

Because Jesus would hate homosexuals too.  If there was one main message Jesus taught, it was to hate certain groups of people and try to make their lifestyle miserable.  To make people who did not listen to him into outcasts.  To exclude non-believers from his presence, chastise them in public, and to try and pass laws that would encumber their life choices.

Jesus hated allowing people to make their own choices.  He was constantly sending away prostitutes, tax collectors, and even those he knew were going to betray and kill him as being unworthy.  He favored strict application of biblical law and he himself worried more about the detail of scripture than the big picture and thus refrained from working on Sundays, honoring women, or questions the temple priests.

He never taught unconditional love.  He refused to allow other people to make their own choices.  He spoke harshly of the Romans and other pagans and wanted to overthrow and outlaw their way of life.

Either that or I have it totally wrong.  And Jesus was accepting of any and all persons.  If he disapproved of their life choices, their gods, or even their treatment of him he turned the other cheek.  He was interested in getting people to have a relationship with God - not in forcing other people to do as he wanted.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 08:09:06 am »

As a gay man, this does not shock me, and I am having a hard time understanding the outrage. Seriously, I would generally assume that most podunk state legislators would feel that way. I guess the comparison to terrorism is what makes it such a news item....But I realize that her opinion on the matter is pretty irrelevant.  Flat-earthers like her are going the way of the dinosaur.

we vs us
City Father

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2008, 08:12:55 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

quote:

quote:
Please tell me you're kidding.

Not at all .... I care much more about being biblically correct than politically correct.

Because Jesus would hate homosexuals too.  If there was one main message Jesus taught, it was to hate certain groups of people and try to make their lifestyle miserable.  To make people who did not listen to him into outcasts.  To exclude non-believers from his presence, chastise them in public, and to try and pass laws that would encumber their life choices.

Jesus hated allowing people to make their own choices.  He was constantly sending away prostitutes, tax collectors, and even those he knew were going to betray and kill him as being unworthy.  He favored strict application of biblical law and he himself worried more about the detail of scripture than the big picture and thus refrained from working on Sundays, honoring women, or questions the temple priests.

He never taught unconditional love.  He refused to allow other people to make their own choices.  He spoke harshly of the Romans and other pagans and wanted to overthrow and outlaw their way of life.

Either that or I have it totally wrong.  And Jesus was accepting of any and all persons.  If he disapproved of their life choices, their gods, or even their treatment of him he turned the other cheek.  He was interested in getting people to have a relationship with God - not in forcing other people to do as he wanted.

+ eleventy one
waterboy
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2008, 08:38:52 am »

I suppose if Cubs is right, then Owasso should disband their football team pronto if they intend to remain the last bastion of Christian morality. Pig skin is one of those biblical prohibitions.

CF, good work dude. Eleventy two.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2008, 08:41:23 am »

quote:
Originally posted by tulsa1603

As a gay man, this does not shock me, and I am having a hard time understanding the outrage. Seriously, I would generally assume that most podunk state legislators would feel that way. I guess the comparison to terrorism is what makes it such a news item....But I realize that her opinion on the matter is pretty irrelevant.  Flat-earthers like her are going the way of the dinosaur.

There are a lot of Republicans like myself who would love nothing more than to jettison narrow-minded idiots like Kern from the GOP rolls.

This is the legislature, not a freakin' church!!!!

« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 08:42:53 am by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2008, 08:47:33 am »

You know what, lets break this down another way:

quote:
"the homosexual agenda is just destroying this nation" and poses a bigger threat to the U.S. than terrorism or Islam.

Destroying the nation... how?  What negative effect has the "homosexual agenda" had on your life?  If Adam marries Steve what harm does that cause to you, or anyone else other than to your sense of religious virtue.  Which the government is forbidden from enforcing unto others (and logical makes no sense lest we require heterosexual couples to procreate).  Ignoring of the obvious fact that most homosexuals have about as much of an agenda as most heterosexuals... that is to say little or none.

quote:
I'm not gay-bashing. But according to God's word that is not the right kind of lifestyle

Having already covered the religious perspective, it is highly doubtful it is a lifestyle choice.  Calling homosexuality a lifestyle choice implies, by necessity, that you are heterosexual by choice.  Personally, I have no interest in sexual relations with other men... the concept is anti-sexual to me and I hate to admit it but a bit repulsive.  I don't think this is a choice on my part, no more so than the fact that I am attracted to a certain kind of woman (generally fair skinned, not super skinny, breasts not so big she can't go hiking, and generally shorter hair - if you wanted to know [Wink]).

Logically, it stands to reason that homosexuals are not making a choice to be attracted to the same sex.  Especially in light of the social stigma still existent as well as the legal encumbrances to their relationships.  The concept of being able to chose who you are sexual attracted to just doesn't fit, add the social issues and few would "chose" a homosexual lifestyle.

quote:
Studies show no society that has totally embraced homosexuality has lasted more than a few decades

Basking in her own ignorance at this point:
Babylonian Empire
Persia
Greek States
Ptolemaic Egypt
Carthaginian Empire
Roman Empire
In the America's there is strong evidence that the Maya and Aztec had wide acceptance of homosexuality.

There's 8 off the top of my head that all lasted longer than our little experiment has while not shunning homosexuals.  Everyone knows Rome and the Greeks had no qualms about homosexuality, yet survived for centuries - NOT decades.  And nothing points to a homosexual "cause" to any downfall.

quote:
I was talking about an agenda. I was not talking about individuals

I think slavery is a great idea. Black emancipation is not good for our country.  Nothing against individual African Americans, but the civil rights agenda has been harmful.

Of course it's not the same...  but to separate an "agenda" that is a core belief of a group from the individuals in that group simply doesn't work.  We are not talking about a belief, but a part of self identity. Homosexuals would want equal treatment and acceptance just like any other group would.  Speaking out against that is inherently speaking out against the individuals.

quote:
They have the right to choose that lifestyle. They do not have the right to force it down our throat.

Hey, not that you are cramming YOUR belief's down anyones throat...

Oklahoma Constitution, Article 2:  The Bill of Rights

§ 34. "Marriage" Defined - Marriage Between Persons of Same Gender Not Valid or Recognized

A. Marriage in this state shall consist only of the union of one man and one woman.  

(anyone else find it at least ironic that our Bill of Rights includes a provision explicitly restricting rights?)

quote:
We're not teaching facts and knowledge anymore. We're teaching indoctrination

From someone advocating a religious approach to the issue.

quote:
We have the gay-straight alliance coming into our schools... They are going after our young children... to teach them that the homosexual lifestyle is an acceptable lifestyle.

She is classically begging the question.  She believes homosexuality is wrong, therefor no one else should be taught tolerance.  Not that she has anything against homosexuals, but teaching kids that a homosexual is about as much a threat to our society as anyone else having a consensual adult relationship is "deadly stuff."
- - -

If your religion dictates you hate, dislike, discourage, pester, or otherwise act against homosexuals - FINE.  But the pretense that homosexual is wrong because the bible says so and god says the bible is right and you believe him is not only circular logic, it is also a religious argument.  So don't pretend it is outside the realm of legislating your religion and "cramming it down our throats."

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2008, 08:49:14 am »

Many of these folks have accepted a cult version of Christianity.  They follow the herd and profess hate and intolerance.  If it doesn't fit in their fantasies, they change the fantasy.

A few more steps backwards and we've got Jim Jones party goers.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2008, 09:02:01 am »

quote:

quote:
Studies show no society that has totally embraced homosexuality has lasted more than a few decades

Basking in her own ignorance at this point:
Babylonian Empire
Persia
Greek States
Ptolemaic Egypt
Carthaginian Empire
Roman Empire
In the America's there is strong evidence that the Maya and Aztec had wide acceptance of homosexuality.

There's 8 off the top of my head that all lasted longer than our little experiment has while not shunning homosexuals.  Everyone knows Rome and the Greeks had no qualms about homosexuality, yet survived for centuries - NOT decades.  And nothing points to a homosexual "cause" to any downfall.

The Roman empire split in two and fell after Christianity became powerful. Then the dark ages came, black death, loss of a third of Europe's populace, loss of intellect, thousands of years of technology...thanks Kern.  Looks like she's bringing black death back to Oklahoma.  I'd like her out of office if she's going to do that.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2008, 09:08:10 am »

quote:
 He was interested in getting people to have a relationship with God - not in forcing other people to do as he wanted.

THis so closely resembles my own faith structure.  My brother in law just doesn't get it and nether does Rep. Kern and her ilk.  I have never found a reference in the bible to hate anyone or any group.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
grahambino
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2008, 09:14:02 am »

I can't wait for the Godless® ACLU to weigh in on this!

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2008, 10:03:38 am »

quote:
Originally posted by rwarn17588

Whether you think homosexuality is a moral or not is besides the point in this discussion.

What p*sses people off is that Kern is saying that homosexuality is a bigger threat to America than terrorism.

Really? I don't remember homosexuals blowing gigantic holes in Navy ships, sending anthrax through the mail, or crashing jets into skyscrapers.

Whoever thinks homosexuality is a bigger threat to our nation than terrorism is a prime candidate for the loony bin.

And, yes, that includes Rep. Kern.

Well in light of this post, could you please show me in your prior posts in this forum where you made the same argument when the exalted Keith Olbermann called the Republican party the leading terrorist group in this country. To a lesser degree, I assume you wrote the same thing after Sen. John Kerry said American soldiers were "terrorizing" kids and children.

I absolutely agree with the consensus on this page that Sen. Kern went over the top on this, however.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
jamesrage
Philanthropist

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2008, 10:36:31 am »

quote:
Originally posted by rwarn17588

Perhaps she is talking about the long term social effects on society if we have generations of individuals thinking it is okay to have sex with what ever you want and the you can be any gender you want nonsense.

A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those
jamesrage
Philanthropist

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2008, 10:49:29 am »

quote:

Because Jesus would hate homosexuals too.

He certainly wouldn't tolerate homosexual behavior,after he told the adulteress to sin no more after her accusers left.

John 8:11"No one, sir," she said.
      "Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin."

quote:
To make people who did not listen to him into outcasts.

1 Corinthians 5

9I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.

12What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13God will judge those outside. "Expel the wicked man from among you."

quote:

John 8:11"No one, sir," she said.
      "Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin."

« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 10:52:58 am by jamesrage » Logged

A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org