A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:53:03 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 15th and Cheyenne: More parking lots to go away  (Read 30288 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2009, 10:54:18 am »

quote:
Originally posted by patric

quote:
Originally posted by T-TownMike

I could also envision Starship Records in that location.

Talk about a store that lost it's soul.  I set foot once in that sterile tin building with all the fluorescent lighting.  Its dead, Jim.

Starship lost me with the 18 straight months of commercials b__ching about moving.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2009, 12:04:28 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Townsend

Saw a teaser on KOTV about the center proposed for the Synagogue on 14th.  The story's supposed to be on this evening.

I'd love for that old building to come alive again.

This is an exciting project, I can't wait to see progress.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2009, 04:10:08 am »

The temple just burned down. Not sure what happened, maybe someone started a fire trying to stay warm.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2009, 06:22:15 am »

quote:
Originally posted by carltonplace

The temple just burned down. Not sure what happened, maybe someone started a fire trying to stay warm.

Sorry Carlton, that's a major loss for your neighborhood.
AVERAGE JOE
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2009, 07:20:54 am »

quote:

The number of fire trucks out in front of the temple is impressive. The walls seem to be standing, but I didn't see the dome on the roof, so I assume it collapsed. I couldn't get close enough to see much else.

I'm really bummed about this. [V]
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2009, 08:12:46 am »

That is so sad. I can't believe it burned down. I'll miss that building in my neighborhood. Was so looking forward to seeing what they were going to do with it.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2009, 08:28:45 am »

I was really saddened to hear that too.  I was looking forward to new life for the old building.  The place was cool as it stood, but clearly needed work.

and Tulsa loses another architectural gem.  Not sure if its better or worse that this one met a more natural demise than most in Tulsa.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
akupetsky
Civic Leader

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2009, 08:35:28 am »

quote:
Originally posted by hello

That is so sad. I can't believe it burned down. I'll miss that building in my neighborhood. Was so looking forward to seeing what they were going to do with it.

I'm bummed about this too, but I'm not ready to write it off as another piece of Tulsa history that was completely eliminated by fire.  It would be nice if the external structure can be preserved and even better if the dome and some of the inside can be restored.  How can we find out whether the external structure is sound?  Anyone know how difficult restoration of the inside and the dome would be?  Does it have/can it get historic preservation status?  How do we make sure that the building is not demolished before these questions can be answered?

dbacks fan
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2009, 08:50:59 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Townsend

quote:

Sorry Carlton, that's a major loss for your neighborhood.

That really is a shame, I remember as a kid thinking how cool that building looked. It is a loss of another building with a long history in Tulsa.
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2009, 09:54:50 am »

Is this the building?

http://tinyurl.com/b6tgfb
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2009, 10:02:05 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Nik

Is this the building?

Yes.
AVERAGE JOE
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2009, 10:04:24 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Nik

Is this the building?

yep, that's the one.

akupetsky, it almost certainly wouldn't qualify for historic designation now because there's nothing left except the brick walls. It'll be up to the owner (or the structural report) as to whether it's rebuilt using what's left or torn down.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2009, 01:03:39 pm »

I can think of two other brick buildings that were gutted by fire that were rebuilt and still in use. The apartment building at 15th and the HWY 51 overpass (north side of the street) and the old 15th St Grill (now Bourbon St) in Cherry St. Maybe it's not a total loss. As AJ says we'll have to see if the walls are still structuraly secure.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2009, 01:07:54 pm »

Anyone want to venture out and get a photo report for those of us too lazy to go by?
Michael71
Civic Leader

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2009, 04:25:55 pm »

I live right by it & was able to get a little video right after the dome went up in flames.

found some cool misc pics here

This really sux for our neighborhood!

edited for hyperlink
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 04:31:09 pm by MichaelWayne_71 » Logged

--------------------------
"Why be part of the 'brain drain' that gets sucked out of Tulsa...The opportunity IS there, you just gotta make it!!"--Eric Marshall
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org