A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:11:23 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The Hive" shooting Downtown.  (Read 20180 times)
Rico
« on: February 17, 2008, 08:26:48 pm »

http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=7882124

A man was shot overnight on Saturday at a downtown nightclub in Tulsa and pronounced dead shortly after fleeing the scene. Tulsa Police say it started as a fight at The Hive, located at 216 N. Elgin.

The victim, 23-year-old Phillip Ryan Greer, was initially forced to leave the club after getting into a fight. But, Police say he went back to the club and was shot by a security guard just outside the doorway of The Hive around 2:30 a.m. Police say security claims they shot Greer in self-defense.

Club employees say Greer charged at them and others outside the club with his SUV. That's when security guards say they shot Greer who then drove off. Police later found Greer dead inside his vehicle near 5th and Main.

The Tulsa Police Department is investigating the shooting.

Question...? This nightclub is one of the Clubs that allows teens in. Is this Club connected to Kitchell?

If so, why are law enforcement allowing this thug to dictate the news from Downtown?

If not.... what is a boucer doing with a pistol.?

Just for oncoming traffic?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 01:01:12 am »

I don't think Kitchell has ever had his slimy tentacles on that one, could be wrong though.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
inteller
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 06:51:32 am »

But but....crime downtown is low!  Tulsa World (on fire) said so!
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 08:14:20 am »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

But but....crime downtown is low!  Tulsa World (on fire) said so!

So you're saying "liar, liar world on fire?"
perspicuity85
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 03:24:43 pm »

This isn't a downtown problem, it's the loophole in the city ordinance that allows clubs to stay open past 2 a.m.  Call your city councilor and tell them to stop talking about changing the ordinance and do it.  Light a fire under them.

The quality of the downtown experience is mostly affected by where you go.  I doubt the average clientele at McNellie's carries a firearm with them on a night out.  And you won't find those obnoxious drunkass rednecks at the Continental because they think that place is as they put it "fer faggots."  I personally don't set foot in those 18 and up clubs because I don't want to hang out with those trashy wanna-be gangster guys that lurk around, realizing with every drink how much more incredibly lame and unattractive to the opposite sex they are.  Then, sometime after 2 a.m., they reach that boiling point where they want to fight everybody.

That must sound pretty biased and elitist, but I guarantee you my perception is not unique.  Change the city ordinance so the sketchy people don't kill the slowly-but-surely emerging downtown vibe.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 03:51:48 pm »

Persp- I think you are pretty close on the reasoning.

I figure fewer bad things can happen to me the earlier I head home for the night.  Not much good ever seems to happen to me at 2am when alcohol is involved.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
FOTD
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 03:53:39 pm »

Downtown is a ghost town. How TulsaWorld can spin a story. Of course there's less crime there. But these stories magnify the problem of the country's number one drug abuse. It's a bar district despite the paperboys, lieyers, and bank dicks.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 08:09:37 pm »

The title of this post made me think they were shooting a movie called "The Hive" around downtown.  

Turns out, that's not what it is at all.  [V]
xzyzyx
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 11:32:35 pm »

Wow are you some kind of supporter of that forgotten a counsel member or you actually her. Sometime in the early 90's after hours were obliviated by one stupid law to deter minors from attending after hour bars meanwhile us Adults (18 or over) suffered the consequence. People will be victims of violence, Loss of life will occur but to blame it on one after hour club is just an ignorant statement. I mean would you like for all people to stop driving after the hour of midnight cause that is where allot of shootings happen. Are you really going to blame a simple club that provides ADULTS with a place of enjoyment just because some dumbass wants to start a fight? Really?Huh?? Well maybe you should give me your address so I know where I need to go when the clubs shut down. Adults shouldn't be told when it is time to stop having a good time, but this way their not driving to your house. Self defense is a  defense in case you didn’t know that, and in case you were ill-informed as the circumstances of this case I suggest you educate yourself before you decide that after hour bars are a nuisance. I mean, you do believe in the freedom of expression right???Or are you a Fanciest? A commie or just a Baptist please tell me I’m dying for your reply. This crime happened at 2:30; tell me what being open after hours has anything to do with this crime? The bouncers would have still been there the clientele would have still been out side doing what they do. Don't imply that this was a product of being open past 2am because... Well that just shows that you are once again ill informed. Step back look at the big picture and make changes that count!

quote:
Originally posted by perspicuity85

This isn't a downtown problem, it's the loophole in the city ordinance that allows clubs to stay open past 2 a.m.  Call your city councilor and tell them to stop talking about changing the ordinance and do it.  Light a fire under them.

The quality of the downtown experience is mostly affected by where you go.  I doubt the average clientele at McNellie's carries a firearm with them on a night out.  And you won't find those obnoxious drunkass rednecks at the Continental because they think that place is as they put it "fer faggots."  I personally don't set foot in those 18 and up clubs because I don't want to hang out with those trashy wanna-be gangster guys that lurk around, realizing with every drink how much more incredibly lame and unattractive to the opposite sex they are.  Then, sometime after 2 a.m., they reach that boiling point where they want to fight everybody.

That must sound pretty biased and elitist, but I guarantee you my perception is not unique.  Change the city ordinance so the sketchy people don't kill the slowly-but-surely emerging downtown vibe.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 11:40:27 pm by xzyzyx » Logged
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 07:20:48 am »

Several cities have after-hours clubs. I don't understand why we can't.

---Robert
EricP
Civic Leader

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 11:31:13 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TURobY

Several cities have after-hours clubs. I don't understand why we can't.

I guess Tulsans just can't handle their liquor? And by liquor, I mean god awful 3-point beer that they STILL can't handle..

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 11:36:08 am »

I was reading in the Tulsa World that the bar owner and his brother were the apparent shooters, both conceal-carry holders.

Here's where this could get sticky.  The law prohibits being in possession of a firearm where liquor is served.

Anyone care to clarify how this applies to a bar owner?  I'm feeling a little too lazy to look it up at the moment.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 11:41:29 am »

quote:
Originally posted by xzyzyx

Wow are you some kind of supporter of that forgotten a counsel member or you actually her. Sometime in the early 90's after hours were obliviated by one stupid law to deter minors from attending after hour bars meanwhile us Adults (18 or over) suffered the consequence. People will be victims of violence, Loss of life will occur but to blame it on one after hour club is just an ignorant statement. I mean would you like for all people to stop driving after the hour of midnight cause that is where allot of shootings happen. Are you really going to blame a simple club that provides ADULTS with a place of enjoyment just because some dumbass wants to start a fight? Really?Huh?? Well maybe you should give me your address so I know where I need to go when the clubs shut down. Adults shouldn't be told when it is time to stop having a good time, but this way their not driving to your house. Self defense is a  defense in case you didn’t know that, and in case you were ill-informed as the circumstances of this case I suggest you educate yourself before you decide that after hour bars are a nuisance. I mean, you do believe in the freedom of expression right???Or are you a Fanciest? A commie or just a Baptist please tell me I’m dying for your reply. This crime happened at 2:30; tell me what being open after hours has anything to do with this crime? The bouncers would have still been there the clientele would have still been out side doing what they do. Don't imply that this was a product of being open past 2am because... Well that just shows that you are once again ill informed. Step back look at the big picture and make changes that count!

I can somewhat see your point.  However, there are a number of laws which are designed with the intent of protecting the general good of the public from people who don't know when it's time to stop.  I believe there are still after hours clubs which don't serve any alcohol, so what's the problem?

If people really feel the need to drink into the wee hours, they should do that at home.

I used to look at this much in the way you do.  Having a close family memeber killed by a drunk driver who had just left a bar pretty much changed that perspective for me.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 11:49:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by xzyzyx

quote:
Originally posted by perspicuity85

It's the after hours all ages thing that needs to go.

Don't worry little camper "Legs and Eggs" at Cloud Nine won't be banned...
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 12:17:09 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by swake

Don't worry little camper "Legs and Eggs" at Cloud Nine won't be banned...

+2 for mentioning my favorite strip club.  

Er, strip club SIGN, strip club SIGN.  

Sheesh.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org