A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:57:00 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Busted in Broken Arrow  (Read 14376 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 11:36:25 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Wilbur
And if you honestly believe those crimes only affect those involved, please go to criminal justice 101 class.  Vice and narcotic crimes lead to all sorts of other, often more violent, crimes.  Please don't tell us you think the 'girls' are there just to make a few bucks, then simply go home to their house with the picket fence, husband and kids.

Most prostitutes are not married, but where prostitution is legal they do in fact get off from work and go home just like you or I.  They make really good money for a part time job and most report high job satisfaction.    I'd have to imagine a portion of the girls in Tulsa are "pros" who do in fact work their shift to earn extra money and then go home while other's are stuck in an abusive situation with a "pimp."

There is a theory that there are such things as gateway crimes, gateway drugs and so forth.  In many areas it has been proven wrong repeatedly (Marijuana) and in other areas has been determined to be a correlation instead of causation (an area where prostitution laws are not enforced likely is not enforcing other laws and is frequented by people more willing to break the law in the first place, a teen willing to experiment with Marijuana is more likely to experiment with other available drugs).

You'll note the capitals of Vice - Las Vegas and Atlantic City, do not make the list for most crime ridden cities.

You'll note that in countries where prostitution is regulated and many drugs are decriminalized they have few problems with them (addiction levels do not general change, but associate crime, violence, and overdose deaths [you know what you are really getting] go way down]).

When opiates were legal there was no crime associated with them.  When LSD was legal up until the 1970's there was no crime associated with it (still none in the real world).  Same with cocaine, marijuana and most other vices in this country.  

Illegal gambling operations clouded Chicago politics and criminal elements for years.  Legalized outlets for gambling put them out of business.  When prostitution was a legal institution in the West there was less of a problem than there is today (the whores were in the whorehouses instead of street corners and neighborhoods).

When alcohol was illegal it instantly became associate with great violence, organized crime, health problems (crap in alcohol) and served as a funding mechanism for other crimes.  While we still suffer from alcoholism and general drunken stupidity most would agree that the more serious problems are a thing of the past.

What's MORE, now that cocaine, opiates, LSD, PCP, shrooms, peyote, marijuana, ecstasy, and 325 other things are illegal (Most I've never even heard of), we have problems with ephedrine (speed), Sudafed (substitute), Dramamine (altered mental state), Cough Syrup (like heroine), whipped cream (whippets, like short term crack), Spray Pain ammonia, Benadryl, nutmeg (delirium, like ecstasy apperently with more side effects)  and various other household products (glue), plants (Salvia - still legal) and prescription drugs.

Ban whatever you want, stick it all behind a counter, uproot any plant you can find... there will always be another way for someone to get high if they want to.  Usually the "new" drug is worse than the one they just fought hard to get rid of (cocaine - crack.).  There has to be a better way.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TeeDub
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 12:01:02 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

Those are just arrests, not crimes committed.  Robbers and vandals generally aren't caught immediately.  And domestic disturbances are usually worked out on the spot unless there is an assault.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the link, you will see the crime reports.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 12:42:17 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by T Badd

My curiosity got the better of me and I had to check out what was being posted on Craigslist (Services-Erotic). According to several posters, these particular girls were known to lure people to hotel rooms, where they would be jumped and robbed. Of course, who's going to report that to the police! Seems like the girls may have had it coming.

Not that I'd use them (happily married for 10 years), but I'd prefer to see prostitution legalized and controlled like NV. They didn't have a single case of HIV among the "industry" in 2007. I wouldn't think that we could say that about Tulsa.

Ah hell, supposedly you can pick up whatever you want at the Day Center according to that deranged poster who gets on and rants from time-to-time.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 01:32:15 pm »

I used to get high on life, but then I built up a tolerance.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org