A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:54:05 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Jail Pact- Deadline Looms  (Read 42472 times)
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« on: February 13, 2008, 02:24:17 pm »

I can't wait to see how this will play out.

County readies for talks with city on new jail pact

By KEVIN CANFIELD World Staff Writer
2/10/2008

County officials are preparing for talks with the city on the terms of a new agreement for holding municipal inmates in the county jail.

Under the existing 10-year agreement, which expires June 30, the city does not pay a direct fee to house its inmates in the David L. Moss Criminal Justice Center.

"Right now I've been meeting with the Sheriff's Office and our fiscal officer," said County Commissioner John Smaligo, who is representing the county in the negotiations.

"We've discussed the terms of the original contract as well as terms we might like to see with the city of Tulsa."

The existing agreement calls for the city and the county to begin the negotiation process no later than Feb. 1. Failure to reach an agreement by May 1 is deemed to be notice of termination of the contract.

The current setup

Under the 10-year agreement between the city of Tulsa and Tulsa County, which covers operations of the Tulsa jail system that expires June 30:

* City leases to the county the former city jail, on the third floor of the Tulsa Police Municipal Courts Building, 600 Civic Center, and the Adult Detention Center, 1727 Charles Page Blvd.

* City agrees to equip and maintain a fully staffed evidence property room.

* The agreement provides that the value of the detention center lease ($349,000 annually) and the value of the fully staffed evidence room (exceeding $400,000 annually) is equivalent to the city paying the county the cost of daily housing for 116 prisoners in the county jail.

* Municipal prisoners are those held in the Tulsa jail on city of Tulsa misdemeanor charges.

* If a person is injured during the course of an arrest by a city police officer, solely on a state charge or district court warrant, the county is responsible for all medical costs relating to the injury from the time the arrestee is accepted into the county jail.

* City is responsible for municipal prisoners’ emergency medical care if such care is not available at the county jail.

* City is responsible for all medical laboratory bills related to municipal prisoners.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 10:47:42 am by Double A » Logged

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
Wrinkle
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 11:23:36 am »

You're right, this is one to watch, and be entertained by.

No tellin' what's going to happen here, especially since the Sheriff's been on the public relations campaign on rates/State prisoners and medical costs lately.

Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 10:47:15 am »

Deadline looms for new Tulsa Jail pact

7/26/2008
Last Modified: 7/26/2008  2:18 AM

The city and county have less than a week to reach a new agreement to house municipal inmates at the Tulsa Jail.

County Commissioner John Smaligo, who is representing the county in the negotiations, told the Tulsa County Criminal Justice Authority on Friday that the deadline for an agreement is Aug. 1.

"I've been a little bit frustrated that they've had our offer since March 11 and we've not gotten a counter (offer) yet from them," he told the authority, which includes the three county commissioners.

The existing 10-year agreement was set to expire June 30, but the two sides agreed to a 90-day extension, to Sept. 30.

However, the extension includes an Aug. 1 deadline to complete negotiations. Failure to do so would be to serve notice that the agreement would be terminated effective Sept. 30.

It looks like Queen Kathy has been so preoccupied with the BOK/Great Plains settlement  and the Ballpark, that's she has dropped the ball on this. It looks like city of Tulsa taxpayers will be left to pick up the tab. I swear, she 's never met a deadline she wouldn't miss or extend.

<center>
</center>
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 10:54:24 am »

Before you pre-judge some failure or conspiracy...what do you know of the contract?

What changes and/or should be negotiated differently from the old contract?

Do you have any better contract language or are you just throwing bombs without looking?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 10:55:15 am by RecycleMichael » Logged

Power is nothing till you use it.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 11:14:30 am »

I wish we could void the entire contract and move the jail out of our downtown along with the dollar per year lease agreement.
MH2010
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 12:51:02 pm »

I'm real interested in this also.  This could change alot of things.
Friendly Bear
City Father

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 01:23:45 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Double A

Deadline looms for new Tulsa Jail pact

7/26/2008
Last Modified: 7/26/2008  2:18 AM

The city and county have less than a week to reach a new agreement to house municipal inmates at the Tulsa Jail.

County Commissioner John Smaligo, who is representing the county in the negotiations, told the Tulsa County Criminal Justice Authority on Friday that the deadline for an agreement is Aug. 1.

"I've been a little bit frustrated that they've had our offer since March 11 and we've not gotten a counter (offer) yet from them," he told the authority, which includes the three county commissioners.

The existing 10-year agreement was set to expire June 30, but the two sides agreed to a 90-day extension, to Sept. 30.

However, the extension includes an Aug. 1 deadline to complete negotiations. Failure to do so would be to serve notice that the agreement would be terminated effective Sept. 30.

It looks like Queen Kathy has been so preoccupied with the BOK/Great Plains settlement  and the Ballpark, that's she has dropped the ball on this. It looks like city of Tulsa taxpayers will be left to pick up the tab. I swear, she 's never met a deadline she wouldn't miss or extend.

Contracts can be indefinitely extended by mutual agreement of the two parties.

This is a manufactured crisis.

WHY Mayor Taylor can't manage routine city business better is another matter.

Maybe she HAS been concentrating more on the more self-aggrandizing, legacy-building OTC and Driller Stadium downtown projects.  

And, the $7.1 million pay-off to BOK.  Another hurry bum-rush deal for the city council.

Rather than the more mundane and routine function of finding secure housing for municipal prisoners.

And opening only 4 of 22 city pools from the city operating budget.

Gold
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 01:54:57 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Friendly Bear

Maybe she HAS been concentrating more on the more self-aggrandizing, legacy-building OTC and Driller Stadium downtown projects.  

And, the $7.1 million pay-off to BOK.  Another hurry bum-rush deal for the city council.

Rather than the more mundane and routine function of finding secure housing for municipal prisoners.

Oh how sad it is . . .

to have an axe (to grind) that is so big . . .

You swing so hard and take yourself down.

You don't know the status of the negotiations . . .

You don't know where they are at . . .

Heck, they still have time to make a deal.

But when your sole reason to post is to complain . . .

Why care if you are right or not?

Poor FB

[:X]
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 02:32:23 pm »

Hey Goldie locks, here's the status of negotiations.

The City Attorney's Office did not respond to requests for comment.  

3 1/2 months of nada, zip, zero, zilch.  

<center>
</center>
Gold
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 02:34:17 pm »

quote:

For some reason, I don't think you kjnow what you're talking about.  [}:)]
Friendly Bear
City Father

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 02:50:30 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Gold

quote:

Oh how sad it is . . .

to have an axe (to grind) that is so big . . .

You swing so hard and take yourself down.

You don't know the status of the negotiations . . .

You don't know where they are at . . .

Heck, they still have time to make a deal.

But when your sole reason to post is to complain . . .

Why care if you are right or not?

Poor FB

[:X]

You may have missed Saturday's Lorton's World, what with sobering up from D-Fest?

What did you go as, a Goth, or a Pin-Cushion?

The cited Saturday news article indicated Commissioner Small-ego's frustration with a lack of City response, SINCE MARCH, on the municipal prisoner jail contract........

Calling Kathy Taylor?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 02:58:56 pm by Friendly Bear » Logged
Gold
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 03:08:03 pm »

quote:

You may have missed Saturday's Lorton's World, what with sobering up from D-Fest?

What did you go as, a Goth, or a Pin-Cushion?

The cited Saturday news article indicated Commissioner Small-ego's frustration with a lack of City response, SINCE MARCH, on the municipal prisoner jail contract........

Calling Kathy Taylor?

I went as myself.  No piercings, not a goth.

You missed out on a great time -- talked to folks from all over the region who LOVED D-fest.  Funny how they can make it downtown, but you can't.

I read the article.

And that's what's funny . . . FB is such a troll he is just looking for something to complain about.

But you have no information at all, FB.  

Nada.

Zilch.

Squat.

Jack taco.

So you just make up stuff.

You have no point.

And I own you.

Poor FB.

[:O]
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 03:38:36 pm »

quote:

quote:

For some reason, I don't think you kjnow what you're talking about.  [}:)]

Apparently, you don't.

The county's offer calls for the city to pay $54.13 per municipal inmate per day. Based on an estimated daily municipal inmate count of about 86, the annual cost to the city of such an agreement has
been estimated at $1.6 million.

The current setup:

* City leases to the county the former city jail, on the third floor of the Tulsa Police Municipal Courts Building, 600 Civic Center, and the Adult Detention Center, 1727 Charles Page Blvd.

* City agrees to equip and maintain a fully staffed evidence property room.

* The agreement provides that the value of the detention center lease ($349,000 annually) and the value of the fully staffed evidence room (exceeding $400,000 annually) is equivalent to the city paying the county the cost of daily housing for 116 prisoners in the county jail.

<center>
</center>
Gold
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 03:41:39 pm »

Yeah, I think you're kicking up some dirt over nothing.  Let it play out.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 04:49:03 pm »

quote:

Yeah, I think you're kicking up some dirt over nothing.  Let it play out.

Yeah, 1.6 million is nothing to folks like you and  Queen Kathy. I wonder how many pools we could open with 1.6 million or how many police we put on the street with that amount of cash?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 04:50:29 pm by Double A » Logged

<center>
</center>
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org