A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:26:06 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Ad Here?  (Read 8320 times)
Admin
Administrator
Philanthropist

« on: January 16, 2008, 10:37:08 pm »

TulsaNow is a non profit and never seeks to make a profit from anything the organization does or it's website. However, as you can see above, we have been using google ads for some time on this site and we receive a few cents (sometimes a few bucks) a day to do so.

The question is, if your are a small business owner or advertiser, would you be interested in buying adspace on the site directly?

To the readers & posters of this site, do you consider it acceptable to host tulsa-area business ads instead of, or in addition to, google ads, so long as they do not disrupt the forum and the footprint is roughly the same as we have now?

Please share your opions here.

P.S. No innapropriate ads, spam, or adware are allowed in any scenario.
mr.jaynes
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 10:54:48 pm »

The upside is that that money can go directly to the website for any upgrades or any other maintenence work needed.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 07:04:51 am »

quote:
Originally posted by mr.jaynes

The upside is that that money can go directly to the website for any upgrades or any other maintenence work needed.

How much does a troll filter cost?
waterboy
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 07:12:32 am »

It is so hard to find effective targetted ads for small businesses. I would have used it when I was operating.

The biggest problem I could foresee would be the flamers who would show no mercy for poor quality or controversial ads. Separating editorial (posters) from advertising so that each are immune from pressure applied to each other is very difficult but a prime directive.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 07:22:49 am »

Do it. I don't have a reason to buy advertising (not a business owner), but would rather see local businesses get the exposure rather than your everyday Google-Ad rabble.  Or in addition to the rabble, even.

TulsaNow's got to pay the bills somehow, yo . . . .
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 08:28:32 am »

I'm afraid my industry has a narrow market so it would not work for my advertising purposes (though we drop thousands a year in stupid phone books - argh).  However, I can see the value in it.  For an effective local internet ad it would be fantastic, especially if they had some small coupon offer to both let people know about their business and entice them to stop by (reference the "I'm cheap" thread a while back).

It seems a great way to target a select audience and would, I assume, be an inexpensive way of doing so.  With confidence that it will be done tastefully, GO FOR IT!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TeeDub
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 08:58:36 am »

You have ads on this site?!?!

Makes me love firefox and Ad-block more than ever.
Rico
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 09:40:01 am »

This whole non-profit thing is becoming quite redundant...

Southern Hills Country Club is a non-profit organization.... I have been around many non-profit organizations.. They want to make money to advance their "Mission".
Usually as much money as they can lay their hands on. (as a rule to advance their cause not just out of greed)

This Forum; has to be a portion of the activities set forth in the TulsaNow "Mission". There must be a more far reaching goal for it to qualify as a non-profit 501(c)(3)...

I think possibly advertising on this sight, funded by a non-profit, would open the door for the direction of the Forum to be influenced.  

I will repeat something that I have thought to myself for quite some time..
TulsaNow needs to be more "Open" as to how they operate...

i.e. Board Meetings that few know happen.

A full panel of officers President, Vice   President, Treasurer, Secretary, etc. etc. that I would be willing to wager maybe only a half dozen on this board can name.

If it is money you need to make then their are functional alternatives to advertising..

Possibly a once a month Newspaper.... Yeah a TulsaNow newspaper....For sale at a percent above the cost of production.

Then if there are advertising buck$ to be made you would have a proper setting for them to exist.

Need monies to make something like this or other things happen? Fine... do what all other non-profits do, ask for donations from your membership. These individuals that this Forum serves are not all indigent.[Wink]

This Forum has grown more than four fold since I began reading it. It has most certainly begun to flourish becoming a catalyst for many new ideas that someday are sure to have impact on even more than they have already.

Don't fix it if it isn't broken.

Admin
Administrator
Philanthropist

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 10:46:52 am »

Keep it coming.

The idea of a TulsaNow publication has been mentioned before. As far as donations go, there is a link at the bottom of this page to do just that. TulsaNow used to charge annual dues but that tends to be a bit of a hassle to keep up with.

On a note to Rico, TulsaNow is planning our annual public meeting and it will POSSIBLY be the first week of February. We have a few things to coordinate before any real announcement. We are also working on some other public offline items and those will be discussed at the aforementioned meeting.

And since you asked;

TulsaNow Officers
President: Sarah Kobos
Vice President: Carlos Moreno
2nd Vice President: Michael Patton
Secretary: Jamie Jameson
Treasurer: Linda Doty
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 11:26:47 am »

A newsletter? Killing trees to print ads is so last millenium.

TulsaNow forum is a great product, a high google rating on it's forum, and a volunteer board committed to pushing dialogue in Tulsa.

This forum has been very open and available to all. The board meetings are separate and we barely discuss the forum. The forum is only one of the products and initiatives that TulsaNow endeavors, albiet the most public one. The regular board meetings are not open to all, but we try to have events like monthly lunches, occassional happy hours, an annual meeting and candidate and issue forums where everyone is invited.

The board met last night. We discussed some questions for city council candidates and a role for us, discussed a process and locations for the annual meeting, and planned an exciting idea of arranging a TulsaNow tour of the new arena.

I also disagree with your presumption that advertising opportunities would open the door for the forum to be influenced. First, the forum members are among the most stubborn people I have ever met. Secondly, we are a snarky bunch, quick to make fun of anybody. Lastly, isn't the role of advertising to influence? I would assume the board would be protective of our forum's good reputation and would try to be be respectful in our choice of advertising.

I, as a board member, would vote against pop up ads, unwanted sounds, and massage parlor/tobacco/social vice ads. I am completely in favor of trying to sell adverting on our forum. Maybe we can make enough money to give back something tangible to the town we discuss on our forum every day.

Power is nothing till you use it.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 11:49:51 am »

Sounds like RM is against all the fun stuff..
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 12:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

Sounds like RM is against all the fun stuff..

Seriously.  The more you can make this look like the back pages of UTW, the better.  

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 01:29:33 pm »

We had a board meeting?  Am I not included anymore?[Sad]

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Rico
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 03:38:22 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by RecycleMichael

A newsletter? Killing trees to print ads is so last millenium.

TulsaNow forum is a great product, a high google rating on it's forum, and a volunteer board committed to pushing dialogue in Tulsa.

This forum has been very open and available to all. The board meetings are separate and we barely discuss the forum. The forum is only one of the products and initiatives that TulsaNow endeavors, albiet the most public one. The regular board meetings are not open to all, but we try to have events like monthly lunches, occassional happy hours, an annual meeting and candidate and issue forums where everyone is invited.

The board met last night. We discussed some questions for city council candidates and a role for us, discussed a process and locations for the annual meeting, and planned an exciting idea of arranging a TulsaNow tour of the new arena.

I also disagree with your presumption that advertising opportunities would open the door for the forum to be influenced. First, the forum members are among the most stubborn people I have ever met. Secondly, we are a snarky bunch, quick to make fun of anybody. Lastly, isn't the role of advertising to influence? I would assume the board would be protective of our forum's good reputation and would try to be be respectful in our choice of advertising.

I, as a board member, would vote against pop up ads, unwanted sounds, and massage parlor/tobacco/social vice ads. I am completely in favor of trying to sell adverting on our forum. Maybe we can make enough money to give back something tangible to the town we discuss on our forum every day.

OK Mikey your on....

First of all I was not referencing the Forum when I said TulsaNow should be more open..

What I meant was the inner workings, and goals of the organization should be more open.
What is the problem? The goals are not something that should be a part of the membership's knowledge base?
I don't get it.

Just as the Admin. stated...
 "since I asked" then listing the Officers of the organization...

Does that make a lot of sense?
 That you help run an organization that the membership is unaware of who runs it or what goes on at the semi governing level.?
If you have a button for donate why not a button for whom we are being asked to donate to.

If this is the methodology used to run an organization, that wants to acquire 501 (c) (3) status, good luck in acquiring it.

On the issue of advertising possibly I just dislike the business..

However; something for you to consider, opening the door to advertisement could also open the door to political advertisements...

Does that fit the guidelines for a non profit?

RM"
The board meetings are separate and we barely discuss the forum. The forum is only one of the products and initiatives that TulsaNow endeavors, albiet the most public one. "
>end RM

You continue to respond as though TulsaNow (the forum) and TulsaNow the "Board of Directors" are two separate entities...

Now if this forum is a "product" of a private non-profit organization then just say that..

If that be the case why are the members of the Forum invited to vote in the election of the President of TulsaNow?
Your statement as to the "Board Meeting being private" is perfectly acceptable... But the exclusionary practice of not at least having minutes for interested individuals to read and feel they are a part of is nonsensical.

I hope (nonsensical) is a word if not I will give you an example.

William the Artist"
We had a board meeting? Am I not included anymore?"

On a note to the Admin.

I meant no disrespect by my last post. I am well aware of the efforts to put something in print by TulsaNow.
Furthermore; I am aware there is a "Donate Now" button at the bottom of the page... I thought that coming out publicly and asking for donations would be something more personable in nature.

But then "killing trees to print adds is so last millenium"

So Mikey does everyone in Tulsa that you want included in your next millenium dream need to own a computer?
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 03:46:38 pm »

Yes. TulsaNow the organization and TulsaNow the forum are two different things. The organization has a board of directors and works on doing other things like hosting in person meet and greets. It has a separate mission and budget and everything.

The forum is open to all and is the thing most people participate in. Comments of the forum do not necessarily reflect the views of TulsaNow.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org