A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:43:30 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Garage  (Read 2570 times)
NellieBly
« on: January 14, 2008, 06:15:13 pm »

My husband and I want to build a garage, probably three car with an outdoor kitchen area. I really want a design and some sort of drawing before we even proceed with permits, talking to the neighbors, etc. We have an acre so the space is doable, I just really want it to fit in. I need some help proceeding.

Can anyone recommend a builder, carpenter that can do an estimate/drawing? How much does this sort of thing cost? We have a reasonable budget and want to have it professionally done, especially architecturally.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 06:16:31 pm »

I know a good architect.
NellieBly
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 06:31:43 pm »

Do I need an architect? Or can a good builder design a simple garage?
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 07:12:51 pm »

we wanted to rebuild our detached garage (ours has dry rot/termites and is 90 years old) and recently had an estimate for one... a  three car with 300 sq ft. of living area (a kitchenette, 3/4 bath, studio)... so basically, a 4 car garage with one bay heated/cooled and plumbed... te slab is already there the living space bay would have to be raised 12" and the other repoured... asphalt shingle roof and cedar siding... grand total: $100,000- we passed... a lot more than i had anticipated spending... we had my own design (thank you sketch-up) but i was willing to pay their architect fee if we went with them...

if you find anyone reasonable, let me know...

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 08:02:35 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by brunoflipper

we wanted to rebuild our detached garage (ours has dry rot/termites and is 90 years old) and recently had an estimate for one... a  three car with 300 sq ft. of living area (a kitchenette, 3/4 bath, studio)... so basically, a 4 car garage with one bay heated/cooled and plumbed... te slab is already there the living space bay would have to be raised 12" and the other repoured... asphalt shingle roof and cedar siding... grand total: $100,000- we passed... a lot more than i had anticipated spending... we had my own design (thank you sketch-up) but i was willing to pay their architect fee if we went with them...

if you find anyone reasonable, let me know...

Sounds like a 1200sqft house really...

If it is detached, you might try a portable building company. You might also try googling "garage floorplan" and find a design you like online. Sometimes you can find the plan you want online for a few bucks.
sleepyhead
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 01:13:04 am »

I think you don't need some architect. You just need to know what you want it to look.
The exact location and land area of your garage. The sizes of your cars and the things you want to put in the space.
NellieBly
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 09:26:13 am »

Good advice, especially about googling plans. But $100,000?? phew! I figured maybe $50,000.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 09:34:11 am »

I want a new garage so bad!!! Ours is over 70 years old, detached of course. I'd love to just level that puppy.

I've looked at some local building companies for a simple garage like I want, it would be in the $20k range.

Please keep us updated!!
spoonbill
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 10:33:50 am »

Go to the Tulsa HBA webiste www.tulsahba.com and look up remodelers.  

I can tell you that Jackson Construction company (Brandon Jackson) and Barry Helms do excellent work for an affordable price.

You don't need an architect, but an experienced home designer, familiar with permitting for this type of addition, is money well spent.  Your builder will have someone he uses, so let him take care of it.  The designer will meet with you and provide elevation sketches to make sure that you get what you want.  He will also research easements and covenants, and any other sticky points.
NellieBly
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 11:25:05 am »

Thanks for all the advice. This is going to be a little overwhelming. My husband wants to do a design and then show it to a builder to give him an idea of what it is we want exactly. It seems we've been all talk and no action but I think that is going to change soon. I told him no more toys until we have a bigger toybox! I think that got his attention.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org