A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:39:35 am
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AEP considers burying lines  (Read 67125 times)
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2018, 12:09:51 pm »

The death toll from just one line failure-spawned fire in California is expected to be more than a thousand, with over ten thousand structures burned.
I wonder what that will cost, by comparison.

If they tell them to bury the lines they will do it. It just gets charged to customers. Since its 10x the construction cost it will have to be very selective. Basically, people would like to have the lines buried and they don't want to pay for it.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2018, 12:32:07 pm »

Haven't all new neighborhoods been built with underground lines for something like the last 40 years? Other cities bury the distribution lines. Europe does it. Natural Gas is under ground. Water is underground.

It's not as hard or as expensive as electric companies make it out to be, they just haven't been made to do it.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2018, 02:26:51 pm »

Haven't all new neighborhoods been built with underground lines for something like the last 40 years? Other cities bury the distribution lines. Europe does it. Natural Gas is under ground. Water is underground.

It's not as hard or as expensive as electric companies make it out to be, they just haven't been made to do it.

But when they are made to do it, it comes across as somewhat spiteful.

Remember "Stop the Box"?
https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/underground-lines-hit-a-snag/article_e599824c-85ce-5610-994f-4b803898d6d3.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2018, 06:35:16 pm »

I remember there being a big call for it after the 2007 ice storm.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2018, 08:16:16 pm »

The death toll from just one line failure-spawned fire in California is expected to be more than a thousand, with over ten thousand structures burned.
I wonder what that will cost, by comparison.

If the utility companies don't have to indemnify these losses, what do they care about spending the money to bury power lines?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2018, 10:33:53 pm »

If the utility companies don't have to indemnify these losses, what do they care about spending the money to bury power lines?

If PG&E has to go bankrupt, the calculus over buried lines may change quickly.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2018, 11:00:43 pm »

Nationwide push to harden our infrastructure (possibly led by the insurance industry)...  How crazy does that sound?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #97 on: November 19, 2018, 11:18:37 pm »

The only way they will end up in BK court is if they have to indemnify losses other than their own, which I find highly unlikely. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2018, 09:34:48 am »

The only way they will end up in BK court is if they have to indemnify losses other than their own, which I find highly unlikely. 

The stock is down almost 50% since the start of the Camp Fire.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/california-wildfires/article/Can-PG-E-survive-the-Camp-Fire-13403707.php
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2018, 11:19:52 am »

Because somebody has to pay for it and the commissions have to sign off on it. You can't just increase your spending by 10x and everybody is fine with it. Also, with competition for building power lines if it isn't specifically mandated then the buried power lines will always be a WAY worse option.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 11:29:01 am by Cats Cats Cats » Logged
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2018, 01:35:42 pm »

Let's be clear... whatever the cost, if power lines are ever buried, the cost will be paid by the users of electricity.

Remember, PSO started a program under which they intended to bury all electric distribution lines in Tulsa. I believe they completed one neighborhood, discovered that it was even more expensive than either they or the regulators had anticipated (and that it was perhaps not as popular as anticipated), and the project was quickly abandoned.

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2018, 07:47:31 pm »

Let's be clear... whatever the cost, if power lines are ever buried, the cost will be paid by the users of electricity.

Remember, PSO started a program under which they intended to bury all electric distribution lines in Tulsa. I believe they completed one neighborhood, discovered that it was even more expensive than either they or the regulators had anticipated (and that it was perhaps not as popular as anticipated), and the project was quickly abandoned.

AEP applied for and got extra funding from ratepayers for undergrounding and tree management.  They literally put transformers in the middle of some of the nicest yards in Tulsa, prompting neighborhoods to capitulate and call for the end of undergrounding and for the funds to be used to cut trees.

When the Corporation Commission had AEP survey what it would cost to bury all lines, they included the high-voltage transmission towers cris-crossing rural farmland to inflate the cost.  Needless to say, the move to bury electric lines has been disingenuous to say the least.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #102 on: November 21, 2018, 05:22:09 pm »

Enlightening article, thank you for sharing.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #103 on: November 25, 2018, 09:51:00 am »

If they go bankrupt, the 'C' suite group just writes themselves big bonus checks for a job well done and goes on to reorganize.  Paid for by ratepayers, of course...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2019, 09:51:34 am »

PG&E power lines are found to have caused the Camp Fire and the utility declares bankruptcy.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/14/business/pge-bankruptcy-wildfires/index.html

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org