A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:00:44 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weather preempting programming  (Read 33288 times)
breitee
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 12:28:31 pm »

I wonder if the local station managers are reading this? That is assuming these idiots can read of course. If they can, DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS PROBLEM!
grahambino
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 12:37:13 pm »

all i know is that quad-doppler XL viper v. 2.0
keeps me and my family safe.

not like that piece of sh*t quad-doppler XL viper v. 1.0 that other station has.
inteller
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 01:03:34 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wrinkle

IF it becomes really serious (and, I mean a tornado on the ground) a program break may be sensible. This shouldn't happen unless the sirens are also going.

oh, but they will tell you IF THE SIRENS ARE GOING ITS TOO LATE< YOU ARE ALL GONNA DIE!!!11!
restored2x
Disgraced - AGAIN!
Civic Leader

Marble steps - Charm City

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 01:17:07 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by grahambino

all i know is that quad-doppler XL viper v. 2.0
keeps me and my family safe.

not like that piece of sh*t quad-doppler XL viper v. 1.0 that other station has.

HAHA!
Now THAT is funny!
Samalicious
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 02:24:45 pm »

I agree that some of the coverage is often over the top, but I think also that the local stations are in a no-win situation when it comes to pleasing everyone with severe weather coverage. Last night there were times when there were nine counties under a tornado warning at once. I am sure people who live in those counties wanted all the information they could get, just like people in Tulsa County want when there is severe weather threatening here. Everyone wants wall to wall coverage when it affects them. No one wants it when it does not. I have worked for local stations in the market for a long time and have heard the same complaints ever since I moved to Tulsa in 1981. The reason local stations cover tornado warnings is because tornados kill people here. Local weather coverage on television saves peoples' lives. Don't like it, don't watch.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008, 02:26:53 pm »

quote:

I appreciate good weather reporting as much as anyone. But, it's gotten ridiculous when all three network stations have 3-4 hours of continuous live weather coverage, preempting all programming. Sure, there was public safety issues last night, in the VIEWING AREA (Tulsa was not affected). But, it could've been handled differently.

It's like the station manager left at 5:00pm and tossed the keys to the weather guys.

Here's an idea, how 'bout all three/four local affiliates get together and operate a local 24-hr Weather Channel? Then, a simple crawl on the regular station could refer to it. Those who want weather can get it. Each affiliate gets 15-20 minutes to rant about weather.

IF it becomes really serious (and, I mean a tornado on the ground) a program break may be sensible. This shouldn't happen unless the sirens are also going.

That will never work...it is entirely too logical.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2008, 02:28:36 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by wavoka

quote:

I appreciate good weather reporting as much as anyone. But, it's gotten ridiculous when all three network stations have 3-4 hours of continuous live weather coverage, preempting all programming. Sure, there was public safety issues last night, in the VIEWING AREA (Tulsa was not affected). But, it could've been handled differently.

It's like the station manager left at 5:00pm and tossed the keys to the weather guys.

Here's an idea, how 'bout all three/four local affiliates get together and operate a local 24-hr Weather Channel? Then, a simple crawl on the regular station could refer to it. Those who want weather can get it. Each affiliate gets 15-20 minutes to rant about weather.

There are already two 24/7 local weather channels.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2008, 03:05:26 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

quote:
Originally posted by wavoka

quote:

There are already two 24/7 local weather channels.

I meant his plan of only showing a crawl on the main stations.
inteller
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2008, 03:21:59 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Samalicious

I agree that some of the coverage is often over the top, but I think also that the local stations are in a no-win situation when it comes to pleasing everyone with severe weather coverage. Last night there were times when there were nine counties under a tornado warning at once. I am sure people who live in those counties wanted all the information they could get, just like people in Tulsa County want when there is severe weather threatening here. Everyone wants wall to wall coverage when it affects them. No one wants it when it does not. I have worked for local stations in the market for a long time and have heard the same complaints ever since I moved to Tulsa in 1981. The reason local stations cover tornado warnings is because tornados kill people here. Local weather coverage on television saves peoples' lives. Don't like it, don't watch.

Thanks for the response Dan Threlkeld.
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2008, 03:36:52 pm »

quote:

I hear over and over that local weather coverage saves peoples' lives.  Maybe it does, but I don't think that constant coverage, as opposed to brief interruptions every 15 minutes or so, saves any more lives.  Yes, they should broadcast if there is a tornado warning.  They should come on, show where it is located, where it is heading, and who should take cover.  Do they need to keep saying this over and over for 3 hours straight?  Do they need to flash up the radar every 2 minutes (when the storm has moved only inches), zoom in, zoom out, zoom over a few feet, zoom out again, and then do it all over again until viewers are left with a headache?  Do they need to show constant pictures of dark skies and lightening?  Is that saving lives?  No, that is just drumming up hysteria.  It's for ratings.

Everyone should know, if there is a storm with tornados in it and its heading your way, take cover.  You don't need to know that it will hit at 9:03 or 9:08 or 9:12, or what the wall clouds look like, or what the "storm trackers" are seeing.  Go take cover--period.  And, if you are at risk of a tornado, you shouldn't be watching TV (unless you have a TV in your safe room/closet/basement).

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2008, 04:23:15 pm »

"The end of the world will come Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow...

good God that's...

TODAY!!!"
breitee
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2008, 04:36:33 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by pmcalk

quote:

I hear over and over that local weather coverage saves peoples' lives.  Maybe it does, but I don't think that constant coverage, as opposed to brief interruptions every 15 minutes or so, saves any more lives.  Yes, they should broadcast if there is a tornado warning.  They should come on, show where it is located, where it is heading, and who should take cover.  Do they need to keep saying this over and over for 3 hours straight?  Do they need to flash up the radar every 2 minutes (when the storm has moved only inches), zoom in, zoom out, zoom over a few feet, zoom out again, and then do it all over again until viewers are left with a headache?  Do they need to show constant pictures of dark skies and lightening?  Is that saving lives?  No, that is just drumming up hysteria.  It's for ratings.

Everyone should know, if there is a storm with tornados in it and its heading your way, take cover.  You don't need to know that it will hit at 9:03 or 9:08 or 9:12, or what the wall clouds look like, or what the "storm trackers" are seeing.  Go take cover--period.  And, if you are at risk of a tornado, you shouldn't be watching TV (unless you have a TV in your safe room/closet/basement).

Just another example of much the local stations SUCK!
inteller
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2008, 06:38:58 pm »

well, it is obvious channel 2 reads this site.  I noticed that they are going to rebroadcast american gladiators.

Hi Channel 2.  Oh and put Krista Flasch on TV more.
mr.jaynes
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2008, 08:39:24 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

well, it is obvious channel 2 reads this site.  I noticed that they are going to rebroadcast american gladiators.

Who is Krista Flasch?
inteller
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2008, 09:39:48 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by mr.jaynes

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

Who is Krista Flasch?

holy **** you haven't seen Krista Flasch?  Man, crawl out of your cave and bask in her hawtness!

http://www.kjrh.com/content/aboutus/bios/story.aspx?content_id=f67ce643-1764-4618-9450-876d9aaa44c2
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org