A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:18:49 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Renter's Bill of Rights?  (Read 2686 times)
peb
« on: January 04, 2008, 12:48:58 pm »

My lease is up at the end of March and we're considering moving to a different apartment complex.  We've selected about a half-dozen that fit our criteria but we're a little concerned about the possibility of jumping from the frying pan into the fire (sorry, today is cliche day in my mind).

We know what to expect (or not to expect) where we currently live.  We also know that where ever we decide to move is likely to do background, employment, and credit checks on us before handing us a lease that pretty much will spell out what we can and cannot do as renters.

Is there any such thing as a Renter's Bill of Rights in Tulsa?  Once I sign a lease, is there any form of advocacy that I can turn to should the landlord need some "urging" to fulfill his part of the lease agreement?  Or is it pretty much left up to the renter to pursue his concerns through the legal system on his own?

My 2 biggest concerns (complaints?) about where we currently live are vague "rules" and repairs that take (seemingly) forever to happen.

I'd appreciate anything you all have to offer by way of responses or suggestions.  Please ask if you need more information or clarification to better answer my question(s)

peb
dggriffi
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 12:53:12 pm »

http://www.tenant.net/Other_Areas/Oklahoma/tenant.html
FOTD
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 12:58:26 pm »

The lease IS the bill of rights....A lease works both ways....negotiate to your liking. Insert terms and conditions that make you comfortable. Most landlords are now at the tenants mercy.

Work on two locations at once if possible. Kiss it goodbye if you can't get comfortable.

When dealing on landlord responsibility clauses add language to the effect that if the landlord does not respond or perform in a timely manner to correct problems you can cancel the lease, do the repairs yourself without their approval but immediate reimbursement, or cease rent payments etc.

I'd say get a good lawyer but that's becoming expensive and it's a contradiction in terms....
cks511
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 01:06:47 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by peb

My 2 biggest concerns (complaints?) about where we currently live are vague "rules" and repairs that take (seemingly) forever to happen.

If you can't do maintenance yourself I would suggest not to rent from Perry Properties.
dggriffi
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 03:44:24 pm »

Despite your lease,  there are certain things that the landlord is required to due in a timley fashion as are you.  These are spelled out in the landlord tenant act.

What kind of stuff are you worried about?
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 04:07:44 pm »

d is correct, under the Oklahoma Landlord Tenant act and complimenting additions there are a specific set of laws for each party - some of which can not be altered by contract (your lease):
http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/Index.asp?ftdb=STOKST41&level=1

More specifically, look at the Residential landlord and Tenant Act, starting at §101 and running 36 sections (probably 3 actual pages).  Breeze over it, Oklahoma laws are usually somewhat facially obvious though the finer points are dubious.

In short, you're on your own.  The legislature has granted you rights and spelled out the rules, it is up to you to follow them and enforce your rights.  Though I would be happy to help you with any specific concerns in a PURELY amateur endevour which, since I do not practice nor ever have in Renters Rights should not nor shall ever be construed as legal advice.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org