A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:45:24 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Woman Finds Dog, Tells Owner She's Keeping It  (Read 10171 times)
Radar
Citizen

« on: January 04, 2008, 10:00:52 am »

This woman apparently lives in Tulsa. If you know who she is, please contact the family. This is such a cruel thing to do. I don't know what I'd do if someone took one of my dogs. Please help if you can identify this person.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/010408dnmetstolendog.28a28e1.html
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 10:12:37 am »

Why does it seem like "I cannot ask for your forgiveness" really means "I suck but I want you to not hate me."
inteller
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 10:15:52 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Radar

This woman apparently lives in Tulsa. If you know who she is, please contact the family. This is such a cruel thing to do. I don't know what I'd do if someone took one of my dogs. Please help if you can identify this person.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/010408dnmetstolendog.28a28e1.html

what a bizarre story.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 10:51:30 am »

That is twisted! I forwarded the link to my niece who is well connected in the "Pug World."

(what? You didn't know about the fellowship of the Pug?)

Radar
Citizen

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 10:56:59 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TulsaMINI

That is twisted! I forwarded the link to my niece who is well connected in the "Pug World."

(what? You didn't know about the fellowship of the Pug?)

That's great!  I hope somebody can figure out who she is. I think she should be charged with kidnapping.
dggriffi
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 10:59:05 am »

bleh.   A couple of DINKs lose a dog and they go ballistic.   Get a hobby for god sakes.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 12:02:42 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by dggriffi

bleh.   A couple of DINKs lose a dog and they go ballistic.   Get a hobby for god sakes.

They had a hobby... a dog.

Honestly, if someone took one of my dogs things would get ugly.  Their big, expensive, slobbery and cause all sorts of problems (one actually ate the gas can I was using for my generator, pancakes dog?) - but so is my son.  What's more, I have well over $1000 invested in my dogs for vet visits, adoption fees, collars, and so on.  Never mind the time I have spent training them (never thought to train them to avoid biting gas cans) and socializing the beasts.

What's more, a pug puppy starts at $350 and goes way up from there.  I'd bet $500 is a low-ball average.  So thanks for the $20 you low-life.

quote:
I have been sober for 6 months, and I am trying to turn myself around

Well this is a great start.  Steal my stereo and I'd be mad, take my boat and it's an insurance pain in the donkey, but taking my dogs is just cold.  If you do this crap sober, there is probably a reason you lost everything.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
dggriffi
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 12:19:14 pm »

If you leave your stereo in the street.  Its going to get stolen.  same goes for a dog.   If you care so much about something that isn't human,  you better take measures to protect it.

If i pick up a dog a later find out who the owner is.   I may or may not go to the trouble to take it back.   I would pick up the dog for its well being,  not for yours.
OkieDiva
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 12:29:05 pm »

Dogs dig under fences... it happens, but it doesn't mean the woman is an irresponsible dog owner or that this is justified.

I'd love to hear a lawyer weigh in on this (whoa, first time I've ever said that). Wonder if woman - if ever found - could face legal action?
peb
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 12:31:53 pm »

How do you spell TROLL?

peb
dggriffi
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 12:51:52 pm »

I think that owners are responsible for their own animals.  

She probably should have given them some way to come get the dog but they are certainly not innocent in this.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 12:56:06 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by dggriffi

If you leave your stereo in the street.  Its going to get stolen.  same goes for a dog.   If you care so much about something that isn't human,  you better take measures to protect it.

If i pick up a dog a later find out who the owner is.   I may or may not go to the trouble to take it back.   I would pick up the dog for its well being,  not for yours.

I return dogs all the time, well, as often as it comes up.  They get off of leashes, get let out by utility men, dig under fences, bolt out front doors - they are not objects and are very capable of moving themselves.  

I built a new fence specifically for my then dog (now dogs).  The gates latch and have an outside latch requiring dexterity to remove.    They have never dug out.  But that doesn't mean they wont or some meter reader will not let them run off by mistake.  Or, for that matter, some asshat just deciding to steal them (both muts, don't bother).

What's more, even IF I leave something out - stealing it is still a crappy thing to do.  Especially when the object is not replaceable and of little monetary value (my mutts).  

If you pick up a dog and find out who the owner is, and it is NOT abused, keeping it is both a horrible thing to do and legally speaking - conversion.  Unless you know the dog has been abandoned you are taking the property of another:

Criminally it is simple misdemeanor larceny, and civilly is is conversion.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Radar
Citizen

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 12:58:35 pm »

Or just plain evil.
dggriffi
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 03:38:39 pm »

evil maybe,  illegal no.  Found cash is one thing.  Chattel is another.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 04:25:14 pm »

WRONG

quote:
Oklahoma Law Says
One who finds lost property under circumstances which gives him knowledge or means of inquiry as to the true owner, and who appropriates such property to his own use, or to the use of another person who is not entitled thereto, without having first made such effort to find the owner and restore the property to him as the circumstances render reasonable and just, is guilty of larceny.

Larceny of Lost Property, 21 Okla. Stat. § 1702, available at http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=70060 (last visited on 01/04/2008).

I would venture to guess that the collar and address as well as the forthcoming correspondence would indicate that this woman had "knowledge... as to the true owner" of said chattel.  The property has admittedly been appropriate for her use (as a gift) and is thus guilty of larceny.  Specifically, §1704 Grand Larceny since it is likely said animal cost in excess of $500.  Thus, she is subject to §1705 penalties of up to 5 years and a fine of not more than $5,000 for her now sober actions (1 year in prison for petit larceny).

So do you have any justification for your opinion, or did you just know the word chattel and wanted to sound like you were on the ball?  Sorry to be a jerk, but it is clear you have no idea what you are talking about and additionally, I strongly disagree with your sentiment in this regard.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org