A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:58:47 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alarm monitoring company  (Read 38498 times)
EricP
Civic Leader

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 10:47:33 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TUalum0982

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by EricP

Another satisfied TNT user here, they have been nice and responsive and the price is great. The install was so cheap and the house already had several sensors that I was able to install a couple extra window sensors for free.

They want 600 dollars for the system and 26.99 for the wireless monitoring.  I already paid 200 for the house to be prewired for the alarm.  600 seems somewhat high to me, but none the less I will go with them.

Thanks for the reply!

Depends what all you're getting. I paid almost that and I have pretty much the minimal system.

well like I mentioned earlier, it has the capability of using a wireless signal instead of a land line, 1 motion senser, all the doors/windows (22) total with sensors, 2 keypads and 2 keychain remotes to arm/disarm the alarm and open the garage door as well.  I drive a different car every 3-5 days from work I would most definitely lose a remote that attaches to the visor.  

Thanks for the help

Yeah, that's a much more elaborate system than I have. I think ours was 200-300 with a coupon they ran a while back, but totals 2 motions, 2 windows, 2 glassbreaks, and I think 4 doors. None of this 22 doors stuff Tongue Because of an existing system I was able to reuse several of the components and add others for free.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 07:06:57 am »

quote:

well like I mentioned earlier, it has the capability of using a wireless signal instead of a land line, 1 motion senser, all the doors/windows (22) total with sensors, 2 keypads and 2 keychain remotes to arm/disarm the alarm and open the garage door as well.  I drive a different car every 3-5 days from work I would most definitely lose a remote that attaches to the visor.  

Thanks for the help

Yeah, I only paid for 4 pins instead of 22 and wired instead of wireless.

The remotes rock. Word of warning though, DO NOT press lock and unlock at the same time. My kids discovered that one. That activates "panic mode."
TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2008, 04:12:04 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

quote:

Thanks for the help

Yeah, I only paid for 4 pins instead of 22 and wired instead of wireless.

The remotes rock. Word of warning though, DO NOT press lock and unlock at the same time. My kids discovered that one. That activates "panic mode."

LOL that's what they told me when they did the initial estimate.  I had forgotten about that till you mentioned it.  Just got off the phone with David Miller with TNT and they will be installing it the 1st of Feb.  Thanks again guys.

"You cant solve Stupid." 
"I don't do sorry, sorry is for criminals and screw ups."
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 11:53:26 am »

Quote from: TUalum0982

They want 600 dollars for the system and 26.99 for the wireless monitoring.  I already paid 200 for the house to be prewired for the alarm.  600 seems somewhat high to me, but none the less I will go with them.

I looked into using TNT to replace Guardian, and despite what their website says about monitoring existing systems the salesman I talked to insisted I would have to install one of their new Honeywell systems before they would monitor me.

I had asked for a new account number and communicator number to program into my system, and the salesman had no clue as to what that was.  He said they had to use Honeywell because only Honeywell would make weekly test calls and identify zones.  When I told him my DSC panel made weekly test calls and identified zones in the universal SIA format that ALL panels use, he said he "didnt monitor SIA panels" only Honeywell.

So it was really about selling a less capable, more expensive panel I knew I didnt need.  Never mind the real money is in the years of monitoring fees. 
So if you want to start from scratch with new keypads and panels, be locked out of the programming (and have to pay them to come out and make the simplest changes) and deal with people with little understanding of their own systems...

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 04:29:50 pm »

Wow, TNT's fees are outrageous. I pay $26.99 a month to have my (split) system monitored, and they did the basic install (with a cell backup) for free, but it was wireless. I did have to pay them $70 for a monitored smoke detector, since my SO wanted one and it wasn't included in the free installation price.

As far as switching monitoring companies goes, there are several who advertise on the various DIY alarm forums for less than $13 a month (I think that's landline only, cell costs more). Of course, you have to know how to program the system to call them instead of Guardian or whoever is currently monitoring your system.

I think Guardian would be surprised to learn that their DSC systems don't make weekly test calls or identify alarm zones. Unfortunately for TnT, Guardian's monitoring employees must be clairvoyant since they have managed to tell me which zone set off the alarm on the few occasions I've accidentally set it off. What I don't get is why Guardian bothers to install an alarm system if their employees have remote viewing capability. Wouldn't it just be cheaper to forgo the hardware and have a bunch of people sitting around in a quiet room using their mental powers to monitor their clients?

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 06:20:48 pm »

One of the things that irritates me about TNT is if you cancel the monitoring service, they completely disable the alarm.  While not as good as being able to have TPD respond when the burglars kick in the door, and getting a call to let you know, it does generally run off the bad guys.  If money is tight and you have to kill your monitoring service then it's nice to at least be able to turn on the noise maker. 
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 06:29:52 pm »

One of the things that irritates me about TNT is if you cancel the monitoring service, they completely disable the alarm.
Seriously? Do they also claim to own the alarm?

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 07:24:21 pm »

Seriously? Do they also claim to own the alarm?

They didn't make any claim on that, but sent a remote signal that disabled it when we cancelled last year for a little while. 
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 10:39:50 pm »

They didn't make any claim on that, but sent a remote signal that disabled it when we cancelled last year for a little while. 

A lot of panels allow remote programming via callback, but ethically it is used to fix problems without having to make a service call, not to disable a piece of equipment you own.  That would be like Cox cable killing your TV set because you would rather use an antenna.
Id really like to spend my money locally, but TNT is definitely out of the running.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2010, 06:17:58 am »

Wow, TNT's fees are outrageous. I pay $26.99 a month to have my (split) system monitored, and they did the basic install (with a cell backup) for free, but it was wireless. I did have to pay them $70 for a monitored smoke detector, since my SO wanted one and it wasn't included in the free installation price.

How is TNT outrageous? I pay almost half that and no contract.

I think Guardian would be surprised to learn that their DSC systems don't make weekly test calls or identify alarm zones. Unfortunately for TnT, Guardian's monitoring employees must be clairvoyant since they have managed to tell me which zone set off the alarm on the few occasions I've accidentally set it off.

TNT always knows which zone is going off on mine.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2010, 04:58:09 pm »

How is TNT outrageous? I pay almost half that and no contract.

Quote from: TUalum0982
They want 600 dollars for the system and 26.99 for the wireless monitoring.  I already paid 200 for the house to be prewired for the alarm.  600 seems somewhat high to me, but none the less I will go with them.

I'm paying what TUalum was quoted yet paid nothing for the system and get monitoring at two street addresses.

Quote from: sgrizzle
TNT always knows which zone is going off on mine.
My point was that TNT's claim that DSC systems don't tell the central station which zone has been alarmed is pure bunk. Either that or Guardian employs psychics.

If you want inexpensive monitoring and own your system, the best thing to do is get service from one of the companies that advertise on the intarwebs. $8-12  a month is pretty common for them. Your alarm company, unless you buy direct from one of the companies that owns their own monitoring station pays $6-$8 a month to the monitoring company. Anything you pay over that is going into the installer's pocket, either as pure profit or to pay for the "free" installation/equipment.

If you're paying more than $10-$12 a month and you paid outright for your system, you're paying too much.

If you have cellular monitoring, up to a couple bucks a month more is appropriate. There's a (very small) monthly cost to the alarm company to keep it active.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2010, 05:09:59 pm »

I'm paying what TUalum was quoted yet paid nothing for the system and get monitoring at two street addresses.
My point was that TNT's claim that DSC systems don't tell the central station which zone has been alarmed is pure bunk. Either that or Guardian employs psychics.

If you want inexpensive monitoring and own your system, the best thing to do is get service from one of the companies that advertise on the intarwebs. $8-12  a month is pretty common for them. Your alarm company, unless you buy direct from one of the companies that owns their own monitoring station pays $6-$8 a month to the monitoring company. Anything you pay over that is going into the installer's pocket, either as pure profit or to pay for the "free" installation/equipment.

If you're paying more than $10-$12 a month and you paid outright for your system, you're paying too much.

If you have cellular monitoring, up to a couple bucks a month more is appropriate. There's a (very small) monthly cost to the alarm company to keep it active.

TNT is the only local monitoring company, I pay TNT not just because of supporting a local company, but because I want the person responding to my alarm to know where Tulsa is.
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2010, 10:11:37 am »

TNT is the only local monitoring company, I pay TNT not just because of supporting a local company, but because I want the person responding to my alarm to know where Tulsa is.

I think Guardian Security Systems is also local, and headquarted here in Tulsa at 2448 East 81st Street.

---Robert
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2010, 11:50:42 am »

I think Guardian Security Systems is also local, and headquarted here in Tulsa at 2448 East 81st Street.

That's true, Guardian's communicator number is local (836 exchange) but their service isnt what it used to be so just because they are in Tulsa is not a reason to use either Guardian or TNT. 

TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2010, 07:16:14 pm »

I have had nothing but success with TNT.  After talking with several other alarm companies last month at a home show, I believe I got a very good deal and one of the best installs for any job we have ever had. 

I dropped my keys (with alarm remote on keychain) into the toilet.  Called up TNT to say it didnt work,they replaced it free of charge, no questions asked, nothing.

Anyways, not every company is going to have all positive or all negative reviews, but my personal experience with TNT has been nothing but GREAT.

"You cant solve Stupid." 
"I don't do sorry, sorry is for criminals and screw ups."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org