A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:14:38 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Complete Our Streets' Committee Recommendations  (Read 36290 times)
Kiah
Philanthropist

« on: December 04, 2007, 01:52:25 pm »

'Complete Our Streets' committee report and recommendations

Chicken Little
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 02:13:32 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kiah

'Complete Our Streets' committee report and recommendations

$1.6 billion, yowch!  That's a lot of need.

- $650 million bond issue to bring to C-
- permanent 1/2 penny for streets ($35 mill/year)
- lobby for share of tag fees ($50 mill/year)

Wow...just...wow!  Truth is, this has been a problem that politicians have been ducking for decades.  Respeck to these guys for looking for a real solution.  But...just...wow.
cks511
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 02:16:54 pm »

OMG!  And they can't even spell, how tacky. Sollutions?

http://www.cityoftulsa.org/CityServices/Streets/documents/FinanceCommitteeSummaryRecommendations_1.pdf
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 02:18:14 pm »

Contracting committee report:
-3rd penny for infrastructure only
-Form a city transportation authority not influenced by city politics
-Catch up roads by widening, replacing and resurfacing (not patching)
- Pass $1.6B bond issue

Finance Committee:
-$1.1B for improvements, $500M for maintenance
-Pay with combination $650M Bond, dedicated sales tax (1/2cent) and state assistance (30% of vehicle license fees dedicated back to roads).

YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 02:22:59 pm »

Good lowde thats a lotta money!  How about I give you fourteen dollas and you dump some chunky stuff in some holes...

(oh yeah, thats what we already do)

cks511
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 02:28:30 pm »

Is it me or does anyone else take take exception to the paragraph about the river tax? LOL!  I'll knee jerk if I wanna!

http://www.cityoftulsa.org/CityServices/Streets/documents/ReportofFinanceCommittee_1_000.pdf
Chicken Little
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 02:43:13 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cks511

Is it me or does anyone else take take exception to the paragraph about the river tax? LOL!  I'll knee jerk if I wanna!

http://www.cityoftulsa.org/CityServices/Streets/documents/ReportofFinanceCommittee_1_000.pdf

The proverbial chickens have come home to roost.  A principal argument of the no voters in the River thing was that we had more pressing priorities, namely, streets.
FOTD
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 02:49:03 pm »

And who is to oversee this mammoth job?

Page one on recommendations should read, "while we recognize the effort put forth during the last 23 years, the current head of Public Works needs to spend his remaining daze in the pasture...."

I thought it would take over 1.5 billion. But I think it will cost much more over a longer period.

Frankly, I can't look at the report. It's too hard to understand how we got from there to here. That vision thing 2025 failed to reason why it is we had America's Most Beautiful City.

Step up and make that 3rd cent permanent. And pass the bond. And make certain this Transportation Authority is not loaded with conflicts of interest.

George Bush has put every American citizen in debt to the tune of $30,000 (average) by war. Just add another $4,000. What good are tax cuts for the wealthy if this is the fallout?

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~Bertrand Russell
Kenosha
Philanthropist

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 03:05:02 pm »

quote:
Develop and Encourage Multiple Modes of Travel
Plans should support multiple modes of travel to, among other benefits, reduce wear on our roadways, to make the system more convenient and to enhance capacity

-Expand and improve transit service to provide safe, reliable, convenient, efficient and desirable public transportation
-Establish a dedicated source of funds, e.g. sales tax, for public transportation purposes to include planning, operations and maintenance to improve the system as well as initiating the necessary analyses for passenger rail implementation

What a concept! Reducing the number of cars on the road means less wear and tear on them? Brilliant!

Kenosha
Philanthropist

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 03:11:42 pm »

Seems like this Complete Streets stuff that Sarah from TulsaNow spoke about at the public meeting found it's way into the report.

I like the set aside, ala the 1% for art in public projects, for bike and pedestrian stuff.

From the Smart Urban Design Committee:

quote:
More and more often businesses and families choose to locate where there are walkable neighborhoods with sidewalks, trails, bike lanes and other amenities, as well as effective public transit. Complete Streets defines the streets as public spaces to be used by all users, moving by car, truck, transit, bicycle, wheelchair, or foot in a safe, functional and welcoming way.  Complete Streets policies call for routinely providing for travel by all users when building and reconstructing streets and roads, and implemented on a case by case basis.  The development of a Compete Streets policy should include a set-aside of a percentage of construction or reconstruction funds to be applied toward the implementation of bicycle, pedestrian and transit facilities.

Integrating transportation and land use is an economic development tool that cities such as Boulder, Austin, Charlotte and others are using to great advantage and one that Tulsa can not afford to ignore.  The Comprehensive Plan update should incorporate Complete Streets concepts and develop new, typical cross sections that reflect the integration of land use in their design, using the Institute of Transportation Engineer’s (ITE) Context Sensitive (CSS) design standards.

Context Sensitive Solutions (CSS) is a series of standards that, when applied, are designed to integrate projects into the context or setting in a sensitive manner through careful planning, consideration of different perspectives, and tailoring designs to particular project circumstances.

Context Sensitive Solutions promotes six key principles:
1.   Balance safety, mobility, community, and environmental goals in all projects.
2.   Involve the public and affected agencies early and continuously.
3.   Use an interdisciplinary team tailored to project needs.
4.   Address all modes of travel.
5.   Apply flexibility inherent in design standards.
6.   Incorporate aesthetics as an integral part of good design.

Friendly Bear
City Father

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 03:15:16 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kenosha

quote:
Develop and Encourage Multiple Modes of Travel
Plans should support multiple modes of travel to, among other benefits, reduce wear on our roadways, to make the system more convenient and to enhance capacity

-Expand and improve transit service to provide safe, reliable, convenient, efficient and desirable public transportation
-Establish a dedicated source of funds, e.g. sales tax, for public transportation purposes to include planning, operations and maintenance to improve the system as well as initiating the necessary analyses for passenger rail implementation

What a concept! Reducing the number of cars on the road means less wear and tear on them? Brilliant!

How about a little more analysis from someone who knows about street repair and maintenance that two mid-town Elitist Trust Fund babies who never worked an honest day's work in their entire lives?

Do NOT just throw more money at the problem.  

The local road construction cartel, who are connected up the Wazoo with the local ruling power Oligarchy, and who happily share a tiny portion of their profits to fund the passage of every new and renewed local Tax, are being givin a free pass on SHODDY road construction and repairs that literally fall apart almost as soon as the yellow striping has dried.

That is the root cause of the problem, not Under-Spending.

Oh, and fire Charles Hardt and his cronies today, while we're at it.

FOTD
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 03:24:03 pm »

What I said, FB .....and I thought ETF's were something else.
Chicken Little
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 03:32:37 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Friendly Bear
How about a little more analysis from someone who knows about street repair and maintenance that two mid-town Elitist Trust Fund babies who never worked an honest day's work in their entire lives?

Ask, and you shall receive:

Contracting Committee
ART COUCH
SHARON KING DAVIS
GENE HARRIS
BOB KUHN
BILL JONES
TOM SNYDER

Finance Committee
Mr. Jack O’Brien
Mr. Steve Mitchell
Mr. John Weidman
Mr. Kell Kelly
Mr. Howard Barnett
Mr. Ron Bussert
Mr. Dewey Bartlett.

Smart Urban Design Committee
Keith Franklin
John Lotti
Art Justis
Derek Gates
Jerry Lasker
Lisa Frankenberger

Surely you can't hate everybody on this list, right?  Oh wait, we're talking about Friendly Bear.[Wink]
quote:
Do NOT just throw more money at the problem.
They have lots of recommendations about contracting, urban design, financing, preventive maintenance.  How 'bout you "Do NOT" start talking out your hindquarters until you've done at least a modicum of homework.  Oh wait, we're talking about Friendly Bear.[Wink]

quote:
The local road construction cartel, who are connected up the Wazoo with the local ruling power Oligarchy, and who happily share a tiny portion of their profits to fund the passage of every new and renewed local Tax, are being givin a free pass on SHODDY road construction and repairs that literally fall apart almost as soon as the yellow striping has dried.

That is the root cause of the problem, not Under-Spending.

Oh, and fire Charles Hardt and his cronies today, while we're at it.
Attaboy, FB.  Blame the "oligarchy", that'll fix the streets.   And fire a couple of city employees, that'll produce $1.6 billion for sure!
FOTD
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 03:40:14 pm »

"Fire" is a little strong....put out to pasture sounds cleaner. How about have the principles petered since they fell victim to the peter principal?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 03:44:05 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cks511

We have bigger priorities than streets.  Let's do the river first.

[}:)]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org