A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:49:45 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $$$70 MILLION!!  (Read 7748 times)
restored2x
Disgraced - AGAIN!
Civic Leader

Marble steps - Charm City

« on: November 28, 2007, 08:17:13 am »

I'm a little suprised nobody has said anything about this here yet.

The Hobby Lobby and Mardel's guy has promised to donate $70 million dollars to get ORU out of the red and into new leadership.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=071128_238_A1_hFami82066

The regents present in the picture do not look especially happy - maybe just a bad picture.

That is a sizeable chunk-o-change. After all the discussion here about the ORU thing, what do you guys think about this? Positive? Negative? Power play? True philanthropy? Good for Tulsa?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 09:03:14 am »

The terms of the agreement are what intrigues me. The ministry, Oral, Richard and every other ministry employee has to leave any meaningful positions at ORU and never come back.

Seems like he said he'll cover the tab if ORU agrees to get itself in order. Should be win-win.
Johnboy976
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 09:43:41 am »

I think that Mart Green has made some excellent decisions, in the past, concerning his business. The fact that he has taken the measures he has, here, in order to help out ORU, only further proves to me his capabilities as a businessman and Christian. This is what could really help ORU get back on the right path... However, I am still uncertain about Green's requiring that a couple of his family members take over seats in the Board of Regents.
rwarn17588
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 09:58:31 am »

And get this:

It was philanthropy with strings attached.

Didn't we have a thread a while back about Kaiser's river money in which a few posters argued (unconvincingly) that true philanthropy should NEVER have strings attached?

ORU and the Robertses have piddled away so much money, it would be insane to NOT make a donation with conditions.

It's too early to tell, but Mart Green may be the best thing to ever happen to that university.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 09:59:59 am »

quote:
Originally posted by rwarn17588

And get this:

Didn't we have a thread a while back about Kaiser's river money in which a few posters argued (unconvincingly) that true philanthropy should NEVER have strings attached?

ORU and the Robertses have piddled away so much money, it would be insane to NOT make a donation with conditions.

It's too early to tell, but Mart Green may be the best thing to ever happen to that university.

+1

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
FOTD
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 11:41:19 am »

Tremendous news! SAVED! Hallelujah!

The Greenes are great people with a handle on the expense column. This deal saves this entire debacle from hurting Tulsa. It actually has huge upside potential now.

I guess poor Richard is going through some intense lifestyle changes.
rhymnrzn
Activist

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 01:24:53 pm »

The just judgement written will go forth, despite this generation.  

Prophets of their own figure "Money cometh" will continue, as their church father Oral Roberts prophesied of the Iraq war in 2003, and do bless the cause as though they are speaking by the Holy Ghost, seeing how the war in Iraq racks up the powers that be, and that the beast is still found to be for the riding.

Rich Roberts cast his lot on Boxing Day 2006 on his program, in mention of 7 times 70 in context of how many times we are to forgive repented sins: but their gamble for Jerusalem (against the reasoning of scripture which shews forth the prophesy of the seventy weeks (7 x 70 = 490 days) is hoping none will prevail against great force to break the trilatteral set.  

The problem is, there is no forgiveness for willful sins, which going unrepented, require all of this tribulation.  How long shall the ship of these enriched merchants, driven by fierce financial winds, and turned about with the very small golden helm called Oral Roberts Univerisity, not unlade its goods to the poor, that it may stay afloat? but thinking to prolong their pattern of coveting the Lord's inheritance by heaping it up in the last days shall cause the ship to sink.[8]
rwarn17588
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 02:33:43 pm »

rhymnrzn, you've been hanging out with shadows, haven't you?

[}:)]
waterboy
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 03:10:04 pm »

quote:

rhymnrzn, you've been hanging out with shadows, haven't you?

[}:)]

Speaking in tongue? Might as well.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 04:46:12 pm »

Oh heck, I thought R2X had won the lottery and was giving away $7mm each to the first ten people who replied. [V]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Chicken Little
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 04:50:55 pm »

quote:

And get this:

Ha! Good point.
restored2x
Disgraced - AGAIN!
Civic Leader

Marble steps - Charm City

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 08:20:56 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

Oh heck, I thought R2X had won the lottery and was giving away $7mm each to the first ten people who replied. [V]

Nope - if I had won the lottery, I'd have bought back the tulsanow.org domain.

and a Viper
and a house in Humacao, PR
... oh well.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 09:31:43 am »

I think they should rename the University after the generous benefactor. The Arena naming right were bought for $11 Million...this guy is paying $70 million.

Hobby Lobby University has a nice sound to it. They could offer degrees in Business, Retail Management, and Arts and Crafts.

Power is nothing till you use it.
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 10:10:15 am »

^With an entire course devoted solely to hot glue guns, and their many uses.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 10:22:27 am »

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

I think they should rename the University after the generous benefactor. The Arena naming right were bought for $11 Million...this guy is paying $70 million.

Hobby Lobby University has a nice sound to it. They could offer degrees in Business, Retail Management, and Arts and Crafts.

So in Tulsa we would have T. Boone State University for Division 1 Sports at Tulsa and Mardel Christian Stores University both?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org