A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:01:07 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Lady on Brady closing the doors?  (Read 5840 times)
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2007, 12:36:26 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

I hear ya jne. Named acts like BB King often have exclusive contracts with XYZ promoter or their agent will only deal with a set list of promoters.  The whole industry is set up to make sure the pie is distributed around.

Without that hookup, I am under the impression that it would be hard for the Brady to keep acts booked.  They could have local bands play every weekend and the like, but to justify a 4K seat venue it would be hard.

I have minimal experience in this regard (while in undergrad I worked on a committee to book Nelly, P Funk, 3 Doors Down and the like to campus... it was run as a student non-profit.  Pretty cool actually.), but there it is as I understand it.  Totally open to correction if someone has a better feel or if my view is antiquated/flat wrong.

1800 seats sounds correct for the Brady.  4000 seats is another ball game.  It is true that lots of big names who are successful in record sales have their souls chained to a label.  These labels are owned by one of a few megamedia companies and they have exclusive arrangements with promoters and even venues, but their are outsider successes who have found their success in performing and managed to stay free of the media giant slave trade.  They should be going after some of these, but it won't be easy with Cain's down the road.  They will definitely need to find more traditional theater venue acts and that will mean that they will eventually have to find a relationship with a real promotion group.  For now, I would look for big live performance bands that draw in college kids and trust fund hippies - in the vein of Widespread Panic. Also, I think comedy acts could do great with the right in house promotion and have the potential to be a big bang for the buck.  And then, we can give em hell here on the forums:)

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
FOTD
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2007, 12:57:15 pm »

It's all up hill. We should be grateful to have a good local family taking care of her.
I wish the city and other adjacent and nearby property owners would get behind the district.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~Bertrand Russell
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2007, 01:43:19 pm »

Maybe Cain's should should cut them in and use it for appropriate shows that are sure to sell the Cain's out with plenty to spare or that have strict seating requirements.  They can also double book big acts that appeal to very different demographics.

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
FOTD
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 01:49:49 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by jne

Maybe Cain's should should cut them in and use it for appropriate shows that are sure to sell the Cain's out with plenty to spare or that have strict seating requirements.  They can also double book big acts that appeal to very different demographics.

Absolutely! I think that possibility exists for sure.

BUT,
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~Bertrand Russell
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2007, 04:36:57 pm »

I am a huge fan of the Old Lady.  Cains is a great venue, too, but I guess I'm becoming an old lady, myself, b/c I like to have the option of sitting down to listen to music!

While the arena will be fine for the big acts, I love the Brady for the intimacy: The feeling that a performer is playing in your living room...you're that close, even if you sit in the balcony.

The Old Lady is irreplaceable.  I've got my fingers crossed.  If Mayo is going to re-open in March or April, we should be seeing tickets going on sale soon....I hope he's booking them now!

(Did anybody else hear the rumor about somebody wanting to turn the Brady into a sort of Grand Ol Opry House?  What happened to that one?)
FOTD
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2007, 05:18:44 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PonderInc

I am a huge fan of the Old Lady.  Cains is a great venue, too, but I guess I'm becoming an old lady, myself, b/c I like to have the option of sitting down to listen to music!

While the arena will be fine for the big acts, I love the Brady for the intimacy: The feeling that a performer is playing in your living room...you're that close, even if you sit in the balcony.

The Old Lady is irreplaceable.  I've got my fingers crossed.  If Mayo is going to re-open in March or April, we should be seeing tickets going on sale soon....I hope he's booking them now!

(Did anybody else hear the rumor about somebody wanting to turn the Brady into a sort of Grand Ol Opry House?  What happened to that one?)

I'd heard that rumor too. Broadcast some wealthy cow poke whose name was not recognizable. I think it meant "single use" which would pre empt any concerts. Worse, the Halloween party....
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org