A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:59:51 pm
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $294 Million TIF for the River District approved  (Read 35749 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2008, 06:24:43 pm »

To put the "above said" into the context of this thread... I have worried that the River District gets started, but then doesn't get built as planned because the troubles in the rest of the economy spook the developers, banks, stores, restaurants, etc. from the project.

However. With all the doom and gloom in other parts of the country this development and other things going on in the Tulsa area could be a great promo opportunity for us. We could be a shining glimmer of growth and good times that gets peoples attention, and thus draws more people and businesses to the area. Rather than letting the bad times in other places draw us down too. If we play our cards right we could use their troubles to make us look all the more attractive as a city. We could actually push through this on a positive note and not be drawn down with it.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
safetyguy
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2008, 09:30:27 pm »

This may be somewhat of a thread jack, but oh well here it goes.

I received the latest version of the Jenks Express free magazine today (PDF version not available online yet or I would have included it). They had an article on the River District. The last paragraph caught my eye. It talked about the developers of the River district meeting with the Gov. Henry and other governmental officials about the traffic flow in and out. It mentions adding additional ramps on Lewis Avenue to help facilitate traffic flow. How is that possible??? I can't envision it. Can someone enlighten me. Is it a screw up in the article?
FOTD
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2008, 10:10:14 pm »

Is it a screw up in the article? No! It's called corporate welfare....
safetyguy
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2008, 10:13:41 pm »

I understand the welfare part of it, but it makes no sense to me on how Lewis Ave. is supposed to connect in with the development...

Maybe there's a Lewis Avenue in Jenks for all I know...
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2008, 10:29:15 pm »

S. Lewis Avenue in Jenks is south of the Aquarium. If you take Aquarium drive south it leads to 101st street. The first left is a road named S. Lewis. It ducks under the turnpike road.

It would be the main northern entrance to this new devlopment.

Power is nothing till you use it.
safetyguy
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2008, 10:54:30 pm »

Thanks Michael. That makes more sense. I just had Lewis Ave. in Tulsa in my head the whole time.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2008, 08:21:21 am »

quote:
Originally posted by safetyguy

Thanks Michael. That makes more sense. I just had Lewis Ave. in Tulsa in my head the whole time.

It's the same Lewis Ave, just on the south side of the river. And Elm St in Jenks is Peoria. The River District is going to be between Peoria and Lewis south of 101st St.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2008, 07:07:49 pm »

Here's a photo of the model of the River District design and an article with some updates. The article is on page five of the PDF.

http://www.jenksexpress.com/pdfs/2008_01_JE.pdf
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2008, 10:34:42 pm »

Wowsers. That will be impressive if it really gets built.

I got a laugh out of Jenks new slogan on that website. Jenks...Everythings going our way. [Tongue]

Perhaps the new "Turnpike, City Rivalry" should be between OKC and Jenks. It would be a little more fair and balanced that way.

Look out OKC, Jenks is gaining on ya. [Cheesy]

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2008, 10:49:32 pm »

Color me paranoid, but this kind of thing has happened in Tulsa before so... Been reading some articles that are saying the credit crunch and home mortgage crisis is starting to spill over into commercial projects. Some billion dollar projects already underway have been stopped dead in their tracks. Some developers are starting to struggle to get financing to finish their projects. I really hope this trend doesnt get worse because it will put pressure on any Tulsa projects, not just the River District and the Riverwalk but anything we were hoping to get in downtown or by the river in Tulsa.

Article in the Wall Street Journal that gives some examples of what I am starting to see in other places. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120054012983095939.html

FOTD
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2008, 08:30:15 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

Color me paranoid, but this kind of thing has happened in Tulsa before so... Been reading some articles that are saying the credit crunch and home mortgage crisis is starting to spill over into commercial projects. Some billion dollar projects already underway have been stopped dead in their tracks. Some developers are starting to struggle to get financing to finish their projects. I really hope this trend doesnt get worse because it will put pressure on any Tulsa projects, not just the River District and the Riverwalk but anything we were hoping to get in downtown or by the river in Tulsa.

Article in the Wall Street Journal that gives some examples of what I am starting to see in other places. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120054012983095939.html

Government welfare for the rich does not always work.....what I've said here before.....over and over. Grab from the poor and those that can least afford it and give it to the rich.....
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2008, 09:21:13 am »

I was driving yesterday on the Creek Turnpike in Jenks and The River District site now has survey flags all over it, the natural gas pipeline is fenced off and there is excavating equipment on the site. Looks like construction is starting this week, maybe today.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 09:21:39 am by swake » Logged
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2008, 12:35:50 pm »

Excellent. They say the groundwork will take approximately a year to do. So by this time next year we will begin to actually see buildings going up. Once they get going on the actual construction, it will probably be quite a sight.

perspicuity85
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2008, 02:18:42 pm »

I heard this is where Ruth's Chris Tulsa will be located.  Does anyone know if there's any truth to that?
EricP
Civic Leader

« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2008, 02:48:47 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by perspicuity85

I heard this is where Ruth's Chris Tulsa will be located.  Does anyone know if there's any truth to that?

Dammit, that steak place was in the hotel I stayed at in Chicago once... that name doesn't make any sense so I can never eat there! Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org