A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:00:50 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with teenager cell phone  (Read 4909 times)
waterboy
« on: November 09, 2007, 09:24:12 am »

I decided that even though I have refused to join the 21st century and put everything on a cell phone, that I won't subject my teenage boy to the same philosophy. IOW I'm buying him a cell for his 14th birthday.

Trying to keep the price down. He wants texting, camera, etc. Cricket? No mention of family plan which might be nice. Which phone? They offer a Samsung Siren for $79.95, Kyocera K323 or UT Starcom at 109.95. Or Motorola.

Any help, recommendations would be appreciated.
MichaelC
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 09:33:34 am »

I've only used Motorola, Kyocera, and Nokia.  All seemed reliable enough.  I had an old Nokia, it was square with no moving parts.  If it had been any other phone, I'm sure it would have died as much hell as I put it through.  It was tough as nails.

If you want it to last long with a teenager, I wouldn't look for anything too fancy.  I think Kyocera makes some tough little boogers.  And they have cameras, and all that crap too.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 09:42:05 am »

waterboy, I think you will be happy getting him a cell phone.  let him think you are being nice, but really you are buying him a leash.  Never forget the value of caller ID, have him call you back "to save minutes" from the land line where ever he is if you do not believe he is where he is supposed to be.  I always hated it when my parents did that. [Tongue]

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about the phone.  They usually come free(ish) with a plan.  My wife and I as well as a couple friends have the SonyEricsson flip phone from Cingular (the New ATT) that's a few years old now.  Almost any phone you get will have text and camera on it now.  Just shop around for plans and see what phones are offered from their website, you usually get the best deals on the web.

I switch from US Cellular to Cingular a few years back because my coverage sucked (not so much IN Tulsa, but random dead spots in KC and on highways).  With Cingular/ATT I have  driven from Tulsa to Memphis, Houston, Corpus, KC, Minneapolis, Des Moines, Chicago... all over the midwest with no problems.  I flown to San Fran, Cleveland and Key West and was still covered just fine.  I've been very happy with my coverage and service.

I would suggest getting a plan over a cricket pay as you go service.  Generally there are more favorable terms.  HOWEVER, you need to have a strict "if you go over you pay" policy as it can be expensive.  Minutes are easily checked from your phone, online or with a call.  Statements tell who talked when, to whom, and for how long and the same for data and text usage.

Just browse some websites to see what would work best for you.  ATT works fine for me.  And welcome to 1995 [Tongue].

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Aa5drvr
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 10:02:15 am »

You might contact Lindsay Roberts for a recommendation.  IIRC, she had something like 20 cell phones in a 2 year period.  

IIRC, she also is adept at the text messaging features.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 10:53:36 am »

First-hand experience here:

Whatever you do, get a plan with unlimited texting.  Text messages are like crack for teenagers.  It's not unusual for a teen to have between 600 to 1000 texts a month.  

I agree with others, the competition for the service is pretty keen so you can get great deals on the phone unit with a plan.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
peb
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 11:24:01 am »

Random 2 cents:

Cingular/AT&T - Reasonable $$, decent customer service, wide coverage area, few drop outs/dead spots.

Go with unlimited texting, that 10 cents per TM will sneak up on you quick.

Estimate the # of minutes he'll use and get the rollover plan that has about twice as many available minutes.

I'd recommend Nokia for durability

I'd recommend you check whatever phone is offered for locally available accessories (don't buy them from Cingular - waaaaaaay overpriced).  I suggest this because I keep chargers (car and home) everywhere.  I also (religiously) use a headset/earpiece when driving.  Most local outlets carry ones with the "universal" 2.5mm plug.  My Cingular Samsung X497 uses a special plug.  All of my chargers and headsets have to ordered (and selection is somewhat limited).

Of course, with technology advances, the obsolesence cycle of a phone is probably measured in minutes so what's available today may be obsolete tomorrow.

Just went through this a year ago so I thought I'd pass along my "what learned"

peb
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 11:28:41 am »

Absolutely go with the unlimited texting. I got my assistant a cell phone attached to my plan when I got my new one since it was so cheap to do so. I have never texted anything. I got quite a shock when I started getting the bills not realizing how much some of these young nuts text all the time. I dont get it but apparently thats all he does 24-7 or something, it was absurd.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 11:49:55 am »

My daughters are on a phone plan with their mother with unlimited texting.  My phone is provided by work.  My work does not have a texting plan, so I pay out of pocket for texts which is no big deal.

My older daughter doesn't use it so much as the younger one.  In a 20 minute ride in my truck, the younger one might exchange as many as 10 texts with friends!

I was amazed at how quick they add up though.  Between the two of them, I had something like 200 texts one month.  I finally told them, "just call dear old Dad, I like to hear your voice much more than speaking to your index finger." [Wink]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
waterboy
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 02:48:52 pm »

Thank you all for the good advice. I am indeed stuck somewhere near 1995 and comfy there! Being older parents is fun for us since we have a bit more patience now and an appreciation of the real treasures of life but it must be hell for our 14 year old. Too bad for him.[Wink]

We're going internet shopping this pm and with the tech advice from this forum I feel much better informed.

BTW, no way I let him talk to the Roberts lady. She seems to like the young'uns.

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 03:45:19 pm »

Another alternative is a pay-as-you-go cellular phone.  They're usually fairly cheap.  You 're-charge' them by purchasing cards with additional minutes.  The big problem - the minutes are good for a month only.  Use them or lose them.

Dunno about texting with these plans.  But the other side of it is that if your child loses or breaks the phone, you're not locked into a contract.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 06:04:30 pm »

I would recommend making him responsible for all or at least part of the bill. That way if texting or talking gets out of hand, it directly effects them. IF you've got a carrier, get a family plan. If not, go cricket.
billintulsa
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 08:09:16 am »

In my opinion, Cricket would be the way to go.  There are no limits on minutes, texting or photo downloads.  They even have plans that include internet access.

As far as service is concerned, I have had Sprint and Cricket both and Sprint by far was worse.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org